Thread: 111 Long Range Hunter 7mm Rem Mag progress

111 Long Range Hunter 7mm Rem Mag progress

Hello All,
    I thought I would drop a line of encouragement to those newSavage shooters who may be struggling with their rifles.
    I have finally collected everything needed to begin loaddevelopment for my 111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag and have begun rangetesting. Frankly, I was very disappointed with the accuracy I was getting withmy rig. Leupold 4.5 x 14 – 50mm scope mounted on Weaver Picatinny rail withWeaver Skeleton rings.
    Savage said they use Federal Premium ammunition loadedwith Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip projectiles for testing purposes at the factory.I have excellent experience using the 140-grain projectile in my 7-08 RemingtonModel Seven, so I purchased 4 boxes of said 150 grain fodder. After somedisappointing results with the rings, I finally was able to permanently attachthe telescopic sights and begin work.
    I started barrel break-in as proscribed on the Savageweb-site
    160 FC BT: couldn’t hit the side of a barn (figuratively)…3-4-inchgroups.
    Hand loaded Hornady 162 grain ELD-X…just as bad.
    In desperation​, I purchased one box of WW with Nosler 168 grain AccuBond LongRange.
    This last time, I stayed with the Winchester load and fired15-rounds at six-minute intervals (yes, I use a timer). The barrel neverexceeded 85 degrees F (Yes, I use an infrared thermometer). The group covered 2˝ tall by 2 inches wide with two, one-hole clusters. I like clusters, so Ithought maybe something was going on. Mind you, I have tightened the action,base and ring screws using a torque wrench and completed relieving the barrelchannel for zero interference with the AccuStock (I had found two, rather largeareas that were touching the barrel in a supposedly “free-floating” system).
    Then, I went back to the original 150 FC load and produced athree-shot cluster you could cover with a nickel (this all at 100 yards)!
    I switched back to my Hornady hand-crafted loading and didexactly the same thing!
    Perhaps, the barrel has just now come into its own? I amgoing to do some Sierra 168 brain HPBT Gameking loads for my next trip andre-try the other offerings again.
    What I’m saying is: Don’t give up hope.

Basic Member
    Thanks for posting your testing and results. What you experienced is fairly common with Savage rifles, based on other's experience and my own. Savage rifles seem to "settle" after 100 rounds. I've heard people blame it on rough chambers and barrels.

I've also seen other folks write about Savage barrels shooting better when dirty. So, how often you cleaned the barrel while testing likely had an affect.

Basic Member
    My Savage 7mm Mag didn't like 140's or 154's at all, got to 162 ELD-X's and did way better. The round count was hitting around 60 when I tried the ELD's so I can't say for sure it was bullets or just shooting the rifle. I have a model 10 .308 that did the same thing, likes heavier bullets and the more I shoot it the better it groups. The model 10 also has a shallow throat, can't close the bolt on a max OAL 180 SST. Has to be .050 shorter in order to close the bolt.

98dyna,
    I recently purchased the Hornady Lock N Load bullet comparitor (for setting OAL and their headspace comparitor. I have found both invaluable for determining how much shoulder setback is required for proper chambering and for setting the bullet correctly off of the lands.

My next loadings will be the 160 Sierra HPBT Gameking and various powders. On prepping the brass, I found the WW (the shells with the huge group) had cartridge lengths all over the place while the Federals were extremely consistent! The Federal case weights were also very tight. I have yet to weigh the WW hulls. I can tell you, they are all the same length now!

Another update: After reading conflicting reports on how much jump the Hornady ELD-X projectile "likes", I was wondering how the Hornady factory seats (how deeply) their Precesion Hunter 7mm Rem Mag, ELD-X bullets soooo I went to my local firearms retailer, got a box off the shelf and went up to the counter (note book, dial caliper and Hornady Lock-N-Load bullet comparator in hand) and proceeded to actually measure their product.

I had initially started with a seating depth .020" off the lands in my rifle. Much to my surprise, Hornady seats the same projectiles .148 off the lands in my chamber!

Armed with that knowledge, I promptly assembled a fresh batch of 162 grain ELD-X with varying charges of RL-22 set .140 off the lands.

Monday, I will be at my local range playing. I'll report back after that.