Thread: Got back to my Savage roots at the Virginia Precision Rifle Club Match over the weekend!

Basic Member

Got back to my Savage roots at the Virginia Precision Rifle Club Match over the weekend!

So I had an experience over the weekend that turned out a bit nostalgic. I shot the first 2 stages of the day and found that my barrel went completely south on me. Completely inconsistent and couldn't stay on a 2.5-3MOA target at 400yds (I've been waiting on my second barreled action to come back due to this one getting a bit long in the tooth). I only managed to pick up 3 points out of 20 on these stages as there was no consistency what so ever....

Anyways, a good buddy of mine had a back up rifle available. A Savage Short action with a Hawk Hill Barrel chambered in 6.5x47, dropped in an XLR Element Chassis, with a Gen 1 Vortex Razor on top. I shot this rifle on the next 7 stages and to my surprise it hammered and operated reliably all day. Due to being short a couple rounds I ended up shooting 1 other borrowed rifle on the last stage of the day, but I racked up enough points to finish out the match in 7th place.

I had a lot of fun shooting that Savage and it brought me back to where I started out in almost the exact same set up. I only wish my action had ran as well as that one! I made sure to tell him he had a diamond there and should never let that savage action go! Truth be told, I'm positive that if I would have been able to shoot that Savage for the entire match I would have walked away with the win and 2nd place at the very least!

If some pictures from the weekend pop up I'll grab them and post them up!

This made me smile for some reason. I wonder if it was timed by Fred? LOL

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    This made me smile for some reason. I wonder if it was timed by Fred? LOL
    No, the action is an older supposedly blue printed by Savage action from one of the old M10 FVSR's. The ones that came in the desert pattern stock ready to go with AICS mags.

Savage actions are hit or miss that is for sure. I seldom have the issues with Savages like most. My biggest issue is bolt closing, trigger timing? The other stuff is easy to fix. Glad you had a good time.