Thread: 6.5 prc??

Basic Member

6.5 prc??

If savage builds these would you anticipate them being produced on the small or large shank action?

Basic Member
    If savage were to build them, I'd say a small shank, much like their regular magnum actions. To be frank though, I don't see this round as being as popular. I know it marketed for the PRS world and there are a few problems with it. The biggest one is barrel life. I know several PRS shooters who are going away from the barrel burning 6mm rounds and going down to say a 6xc, or going up to a 6.5 creedmoor class round for the added barrel life.

Then there's the performance factor. This round really doesn't do anything that a 6.5x284 doesn't already do from the little bit I've researched. I'd say most of your custom actions being ordered today for PRS are already short action .474" bolt head. Most shooters, myself included, aren't going to redesign their systems for a cartridge that is already on the market and established. If I didn't need as much velocity as the 6.5x284 but wanted to get close to it, I could switch to the 260AI. Most of your custom actions on the market are north of $1200 and for some, you would have to get a whole new action for this new round because it doesn't use a .474 bolt head.

I'd almost see Savage building them more as a specialty or custom shop rifle. After the short magnum craze that happened years ago, most of your manufactures aren't necessarily jumping on the latest and greatest bandwagon. Same goes for the rounds designed for the AR platform. Some new wizbang round will come, (6.5 grendel, 6.8 spc, 22 nosler, 458 socom etc) and now very few companies are making their ARs for them. They have become a specialty round. The same could be said for rounds like the 243 WSSM, 223 WSSM, some of your Ultra Magnums, the various 30 caliber magnums. Savage is selling guns to the general public, and if the general public can't get the ammo at an affordable price, they're not going to buy the rifle.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Hornady is selling this ammo for 30/box right now. that is for match ELD M.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Hornady is selling this ammo for 30/box right now. that is for match ELD M.
    That was my thought as well. I could see it being popular simply because it gives you that 6.5×284 or near 6.5 SAUM performance, but you can go down to sportsmans and pick up ammo for the same cost as Creedmoor. Seems like they might rope people in.

The magnum bolt face I could see posing an issue for some custom actions.

Barrel life will be an interesting one to watch. My brain tells me it should be similar to the barrel burners (243, 6 creed, 6×47) but the hornady press release thing said much better than that because it utilizes much slower powder.

Basic Member
    I would guess that since it is a short magnum, that it would use a large shank like other short magnums... just a guess.