Thread: sear pivot pin walks back a little causing trigger pre-travel

sear pivot pin walks back a little causing trigger pre-travel

I installed a Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger in my Savage 10fp and when the pin walks back out a little, I have a little bit of pre-travel/slack before trigger breaks. This pin does not have a notch and e-clip like some of the smaller pins do. Any suggestions on how I can stop this from happening? Thanks!

Basic Member
    Do you have the pin put in from the correct side?
    The pin goes in the right side first (top bolt release side)
    The stock keeps the pin from coming out
    If that is not it some one else will chime in to help
    Jack

Correct. In reverse the stock will push the pin out.

Huh! I'll have to check that, I re-adjusted the sear adjustment and seems I have solved the problem but, I'll check and see which side I put the pivot pin through. Thanks Folks!

WOW! I followed this youtube for the left hand model but, aren't they installing the pin from the incorrect side? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxC6V9482tI

I've managed to get the pin put through from the right hand side instead of the left, like the video shows and so far I think it's better! It looks more right too they need to correct their video on how to install that trigger. I just need to get it adjusted and put back in stock. I thank you folks very much! this thing has been backwards for 5 years or so!

Basic Member
    There is always a correct "book" way to do any task. Sometimes, because no two instances are the same you have to modify a plan.
    The stamped sear's geometry is the cause of the pin walk and not always left or right. I have found trigger consistency changes when the pin walks against the stock. I try to install the pin so it does not walk out but pulls in towards the sear. Right or wrong works best for me.
    Randy

I've looked at several different exploded views showing the pivot sear and the pin goes through the sear then out the other side so, I should have it right now adjusts much better now with better break, and more consistent pull weights on the Lyman digital scale.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve55 View Post
    I've managed to get the pin put through from the right hand side instead of the left, like the video shows and so far I think it's better! It looks more right too they need to correct their video on how to install that trigger. I just need to get it adjusted and put back in stock. I thank you folks very much! this thing has been backwards for 5 years or so!
    I notice that the trigger pull gets quirky too, i happened to come across some hard flexible plastic tubing, no sure on the hole size maybe .020 smaller than the sear pin, i cut a few doughnuts about .060 thk with a razor knife, push them over the pin, been doing this for around a year now, they stay put.

chet