Thread: Savage 116 conversion from hinged floor plate to detachable mag

Savage 116 conversion from hinged floor plate to detachable mag

Hello, I just picked up a 116 in a 6.5 x 284 24" fluted barrel, which was a limited run for Cabelas's I was told. It has the hinged floorplate and was wondering how hard/costly it would be to convert this over to a detachable magazine? I plan on changing stocks as well ( has accu-stock currently), so want to make sure I can convert to det/mag and have parts before I order a new stock. Any one done this or have any thoughts about it?

What stock are you going to be looking at? If you're just going to put a Boyds on it, then you will have no problem converting it. I'm sure there are other options for other stocks, but I have not had any experience with anything other than Boyds... I'm sure someone will jump in with your other options.

Leaning towards a Boyds Pro Varmint:
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunst...tk-434121y1gzz

Really like the looks of this Richards( I know they will require more fitting, I have done several and they require more work, but have never seen this style before and think it would be really slick):
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/Pistol_Grip_Style.htm

You might start with purchasing a magazine. I’ve been wondering about this for a short time, but if you drift the pin that holds the floor-plate you might be able to just slap a magazine into the well. I’m just not sure and don’t currently have both to compare.

I went the Pro varmint route myself.... I like it a lot. Went with the coyote laminate on my build. Have to order new bottom metal for wood stocks from savage if you decide to go with the Boyd's though. They offer the bottom metal in plastic or actual metal (I went with actual metal) as I also pillar bedded the Stock.

One other thing I just remembered. the recoil lug that is used in the Accustock is different than the lug used in the non accustocks... You may be ok to use the "acculug" in the Boyd's stock still, but I'm not 100% sure. I just know there is a difference between the 2. I ordered a Precision Lug from Northland shooters the same time I ordered my aftermarket barrel.

Edit: very belated double post? Guess that’s what happens when you post from a phone and then lose service...

Thanks for the info! I did notice that Boyds did not offer an inlet for the hinged floor plate model that I have, but Richards does. But if I can buy bottom metal from Savage and not break the bank, I would rather do that and go the magazine route as opposed to keeping the hinged floor plate (been going that route on the last few rifles I have acquired and prefer the magazine option).

Quote Originally Posted by 270wsmnutt View Post
    Thanks for the info! I did notice that Boyds did not offer an inlet for the hinged floor plate model that I have, but Richards does. But if I can buy bottom metal from Savage and not break the bank, I would rather do that and go the magazine route as opposed to keeping the hinged floor plate (been going that route on the last few rifles I have acquired and prefer the magazine option).
    You certainly can get the bottom metal from Savage... At least that's what I did. Give them the Serial# of your rifle and tell them you need the "bottom metal for wood stocks". I just told the lady who answered that I was just putting a Boyds Pro Varmint on my Savage and she gave me the 2 different options.... The actual bottom metal (not the plastic) ran me about $150.

The things to consider when going from hinged floor plate to DBM is spacing, where you may have to put a washer under the bottom metal frame and the design of the inlet on the front end of the inlet. If you mix and match parts from top release and bottom release this will be an issue. In the picture below you will see the difference in the two metal frames on top. One has a short boss and the other has a long one. There are work arounds but if you don't have too......

Thanks for the pictures and the info! Will the inlet be the same for hinged floorplate and base/frame for magazine on the long action 116? I can deal with shimming height/depth and plan on pillar bedding when I get the rifle set up with the stock I want, could also deal with some minor fitting/inletting if needed, just can't really fill gaps if magazine base is smaller/more narrow that hinged floorplate.

Team Savage
    The metal HFP Frame Assembly (surround) and the DBM Frame Assembly are interchangeable in the Accustock and Savage factory and aftermarket wood stocks that have the center feed, DBM bottom inlet. The stock inlet dimensions for the Savage HFP/DBM frame assembly are the same. In your case you will need the Long Action, bottom bolt release (?), stainless steel version of the DBM frame assembly and DBM bottom cap. Remove your current magazine box and follower from the HFP frame assembly by squeezing on the sides of the magazine box. Attach the DBM bottom cap to the magazine box and follower. Insert into the DBM frame assembly. Call Savage Arms parts with your rifle serial number to make sure you order the correct parts for conversion. Cost with shipping should be under $150.
    Last edited by jpdown; 07-17-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    You might start with purchasing a magazine. I’ve been wondering about this for a short time, but if you drift the pin that holds the floor-plate you might be able to just slap a magazine into the well. I’m just not sure and don’t currently have both to compare.
    Nope, that won't work. Need the specific DBM bottom metal.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Nope, that won't work. Need the specific DBM bottom metal.

Thanks! I’ve been curious about this, do you happen to know the differences between the two dimensionally? Or a picture of each? Sorry on the thread hijack.

As far as the inlet goes they're identical. As for the hole for the HFP hatch and the bottom plate of the magazine, I don't have either here to measure for ya. IIRC though the hole in the bottom metal for the mag is larger on the DBM to accommodate the bottom cap, whereas on the HFP the hole is just big enough for the bottom of the magazine box.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain