Thread: Best single thing to do to a Savage

Best single thing to do to a Savage

I’ve recently purchased a Savage 10-T in .223. I’m wondering if there might be some simple ( read inexpensive ) thing(s) I could do to the rifle to maximize accuracy. My goal is prepare the best shooting rifle for targets out to, say, 500 yards.

Different stock or alteration to the current stock
    Different trigger or alteration to the current trigger
    or ........... ?

thanks in advance

Basic Member
    Probably nothing. I shoot Master scores in F-Class w/ a stock savage. Go shoot. Load precision ammo.

For accuracy a safe medium to light trigger pull is very beneficial. A ridged stock is also a good thing. If you have timed fire, smoothing out the bolt lift is a help, it will keep the rifle settled as you cycle the bolt. Quality scope, rings and mount do not hurt.

Team Savage
    Trigger work and pillar bedding. Proper barrel break in. PRACTICE

Basic Member
    For me, a clean crisp trigger is the single most important item to address on an otherwise well behaved firearm.
    Second is beddding the action (pillar and glass).

Basic Member
    Shoot it.

If you reload then use match grade bullets. If not then buy some match grade ammo. Once you can shoot at MOA on a regular basis then consider upgrades.

The most important part of shooting well is ammo, then you, then the rifle.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Buy a starter kit and learn to hand load.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Handload your own ammo
    Practice, practice, practice until you are proficient with it.

No amount of money spent on bolt-on mods is going to make up for inexperience and lack of marksmanship skill with the rifle. Get your foundation sorted, learn the rifle, and then you'll know exactly what works on it and what doesn't and needs changed or upgraded.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Handload your own ammo
    Practice, practice, practice until you are proficient with it.

No amount of money spent on bolt-on mods is going to make up for inexperience and lack of marksmanship skill with the rifle. Get your foundation sorted, learn the rifle, and then you'll know exactly what works on it and what doesn't and needs changed or upgraded.
    Wise advice

Basic Member
    Wind reading and the bottomless rabbit hole of hand loading. You will be shocked at the difference in group size between "target" factory ammo and what you can do yourself once you learn how to do it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    Wind reading and the bottomless rabbit hole of hand loading. You will be shocked at the difference in group size between "target" factory ammo and what you can do yourself once you learn how to do it.
    That's really not as true as it used to be. The Federal Gold Match ammo for the .223 is just a small fraction off from my best handloads and far better than handloads with bargain bullets. The .308 version is less than MOA in my rifle (my handloads are 1/2 to 3/4 MOA).

But, the cost of match grade ammo will drain a pocket quickly, which is why I reload.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Trigger work and pillar bedding. Proper barrel break in. PRACTICE
    Here's in interesting interview with an individual that, seemingly, knows a thing or two about barrels, breaking them in and cleaning them.

Basic Member
    Charlie-

What you said true if you are hunting. If you are target shooting, that is a huge difference.

OP- The most important thing to NOT do is take the old Lame Deer profile decal off of the rear stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    Here's in interesting interview with an individual that, seemingly, knows a thing or two about barrels, breaking them in and cleaning them.

And the first words he says are that he's never paid much attention to barrel "break-in" as he's never felt the need for it.
    Same as Gale McMillan and many others.

To the OP, quality optic and match grade ammo/handloads once you've got marksmanship basics mastered.
    Cheaper, "plinking" ammo makes it impossible to discern shooter error from ammo inconsistency.
    Same with a cheap optic. If it can't track accurately, same issue as above- being able to isolate shooter error is MANDATORY. Can't improve skills if you're chasing inaccurate ammo or a scope with imprecise adjustments all over the paper.

Banned
    Everyone is correct. But not absolutely. Better accuracy, as I see it, is a combination of a well bedded action in a free floating stock, with a smooth med to light trigger pull, and having a quality optic or sight attached with a rock solid mount & rings. And none of this is worth much without high quality ammo & capable shooter. Given all these working together, and accuracy will follow.

I agree with the high quality ammo part. Finding the load or the OTC ammo that is consistent is critical for accuracy and precision. That is aside from what can be done with the rifle. Not to be overlooked in the equation though. There is no doubt that one can have the finest most accurate rifle, put it in the wrong hands and it can look like a turd,

Basic Member
    1st thing to do that is cheap is to order a "target" trigger spring. These are actually varmint accutrigger springs that allow you to set the trigger pull down to a reasonable level for target shooting. If you want a seriously lighter trigger pull, you can go aftermarket or buy a target accutrigger (with the red blade) on this site when one comes up. I've bought a couple and they shoot great.

The great thing about the 223 is that there is plentiful and cheap ammo, much of which will shoot very well out of your 24 inch 1/9 twist barrel. I've found that American Eagle 50 grain Tipped Varmint will often shoot as well as a very good hand load. It's cheap, often on sale at $9 a box at Cabelas (at least before Bass Pro bought them out). P/N AE223GTV if you want to search online. Another is Australian Outback 69 SMK. Again, around $9 on sale and shoots great.

Learn to clean your new barrel properly to maintain accuracy, and shoot often. Also read up on torquing the action screws for best accuracy. You can learn a lot without spending a lot.

BTW: you'll never save a dime by hand loading 223 ammo. Not with all the cheap ammo on the shelves. Hand loading is for accuracy and consistency.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.