One of my goals today - before my chronograph decided to act up - was to chrono three different types of 17 HMR ammo to see which was the most consistent. I had done this years ago when the 17 HMR was still very young (2004 or 2005) and at that time the limited ammo on the market (CCI TNT and Hornady V-Max) had an E.S. typically in the 50-60fps range.

Let me tall ya...that sure isn't the case with today's 17 HMR ammo!

My chrono took a poo while shooting today so I can't download the data from it at present, but reviewing the strings at the range as I was shooting them the Hornady 17gr V-Max ammo had and E.S. of over 120. The CCI 17gr TNT ammo was even worst with an E.S. topping 200. I wanted to chrono some CCI 17gr V-Max as well but that's where my chrono crapped out on me so I wasn't able to.

Now I know why all my groups with this rifle are 1" plus at 100 yards lately - it's the ammo! Each shot I'd look at where it printed in relation to my POI and I could tell you immediately if it was fast, slow, or right in the middle where it should be around 2,550. The fast ones (2625 - 2650fps) would print an inch high, while the slowest ones (high 2400's) would print about 1/2 to 3/4" low.