Thread: Tang or receiver sight for my M99

Basic Member

Tang or receiver sight for my M99

Need to decide. Love aperture sights, but have no experience with tang sights. The new Marbles is interesting, but tang sights look fragile compared to a receiver sight.
    Of course the receiver sights are bulkier and don't look quite right on a Savage. I would prefer a decent size eyepiece. The tiny or ghost rings don't work for me. Which type to you think would be better?

Basic Member
    My EG has the old Redfield tang mounted sight. It's about as bulky and funny looking as a Williams receiver sight, but I love it dearly. I have a Rossi 92 with a Marbles tang sight, and I love that one just as much. I, too, had grave reservations about it's fragility, but I have had no issues. I handle it about as gingerly as I do a scoped rifle, and it's never so much as lost zero. I recommend it highly.

Basic Member
    Thanks! I appreciate the input. Might just take the plunge for the Marbles. Wish they came with the screws...

Basic Member
    My .250 Savage has a nice old Lyman tang sight that looks great on it. I just need to fill the dovetail the original owner left open.

Just put a Marbles on a circa 1911 .30-30 takedown. Shot it for first time last weekend. Huge improvement. Very easy to get good groups at 100 yards. Folds down on the stock and seems very solid.

Basic Member
    Awesome! The Marbles seems like a high quality sight. It's well reviewed by many.
    Marbles it is!

Basic Member
    Got my Marbles tang sight and I'm happy happy happy!
    The quality of materials, manufacture, fit and finish are outstanding. No tool marks ( even in hidden places) or rounded edges from poor polishing.
    The blueing is a very close match to my M99. The sight base is machined, not stamped, and doesn't contact the tang fully until the screws are tightened. I was worried about it contacting or damaging the wood, but there is a nice 1/16 gap between the sight base and the wrist of the stock. Perfect.
    The adjustments are positive and the detent clicks quite noticeable.
    I was worried I might have to get a taller front sight, as with the open sights, she hit quite high. Not to worry! I can get plenty of elevation back!
    I'm using the middle sized aperture, and will zero tomorrow. A significant improvement is in sight acquisition. No conscious effort at all. Shoulder the rifle and it's THERE!
    This all steel sight is impressive indeed and for $125 its a no brainer. I'm very pleased

Basic Member
    Very good to hear! The middle aperture is the most useful. The small is for a bright sunny day, and the large is for dawn/dusk.

Basic Member
    My '99 has the Marbles tang sight. I lost the adjusting post and insert some years ago but have been able to buy replacements for both. It looks good on the rifle. The peep insert could have been 3/8 or 7/8 but the 7/8 looked too bulky. I never had to use the tang sight as all my hunting shots were under 100 yards. I guess that's why they call it "hunting" and not "shooting".

Basic Member
    I got my new tang sight parts in yesterday so I spent part of today to put in the new aperture post and new 3/8 aperture. Now that sight looks and works like it did in 1927.