Thread: American Defense Scope Mount

Banned

American Defense Scope Mount

Have had this on my rifle for sometime now, and thought I would tell about it. When I built this rifle, I was in the position to choose any parts I wanted, for the most part. But being “ME”, every choice was based on getting the maximum performance from the least money. I spent months researching optics rings and mounts. I needed X-high rings as I am using the MDT TAC21 chassis. I decided a one piece mount w/ rings built in would be best. (I won’t lie, aesthetics played a part in this decision. The look of a one piece mount is much more attractive than super high rings.) In the end, I am so glad I made this choice...far and above the appearance, as looks are not an important concern in reality. The clean, and professional appearance of the AD mount is just icing on the cake! I ended up going with the AD Recon-S in 30mm, and I didn’t feel the need for any cant because the TAC21 has a built in 20MOA. I love everything about this mount. The picatinny cross bars are so precise on the rail. There is hardly any movement even before locking the mount down. It uses quick detach levers, which are nice, but are not important to me. Infact, being used to 1/2” nuts, the quick detach take some getting used to. (For assurance). The uneasy feeling at first, is of course moot, as the mount locks down MOST assuredly! The mount is built to be light, but EXTREMELY tough, with the rings being skeletal, and the body using beam construction. Great design! One thing some will see as a con, is the material used being 6061-T6 Billet Aluminum, instead of the much stronger 7075-T6. What you must understand is the WORK that the part is being subjected to. In the of AR15 upper & lower receivers, 7075 is much preferred material, as these are subjected to parts moving against them. In this roll, the 6061 would wear prematurely. But in the roll of a free float rail or handguard, 6061 billet is almost ALWAYS used! The rail is not subjected to other parts contacting, and causing friction from movement. So is the case with scope rings or mount. The scope is clamped in the rings, and the assembly is bolted to the rail. So strength comes into play, but not the added need for wear resistance due to friction. While using 7075-T6 billet is NEVER a bad idea, I believe it is overkill and should not be one of the top criteria in choosing. Don’t get me wrong, stringer is never a BAD thing! (No such thing as TOO strong) I would still use this same AD mount if it were constructed of stronger material.(infact, I would love if it was made with my top aluminum choice, 2024-T351 billet!) That is, IF the prices were the same. Im just trying to convey it should not be the driving factor in choice. Have you ever heard of ANY scope tubes being made of 7075-T6? If they were, would you pay extra for the “stronger” scope? I doubt it! And why not? Again, MAXIMUM reward for the LEAST money. That’s my thing. I was able to find the AD Recon-S for $130. To me, that was a great deal!

It performs wonderfully! The scope is mounted rock solid! No chance of moving! In addition, return to zero upon reinstallatiin of the mount is very, very high! Almost perfect! Much better than ANY rings I have used.

Anyone in need of Extra High rings, take a look at the American Defense Recon-S one piece scope mount. I doubt any would regret the choice.

Basic Member
    Good choice I chose an ADM Recon mount for my SPR rifle. I already had a Larue mount which I was very happy with. However, I has heard great things about ADM and for $100 less I wanted to give it a try. So I’ve compared these side by side and the build quality is first class. I too have purposely removed the scope and remounted it without noticeable POI changes.

Good post David. I moved away from vertical split rings. I toughted them for years. I looked at the ADM and then I went with the Spuhr. Awesome but what was I thinking. /

Banned
    Thank you Robinhood. Oh I LOVE the Spuhr! Was contemplating picking one up. (75% of the top shooters IN THE WORLD can’t be wrong) But in the end it came down to exactly what I was saying..... Price vs performance. I am a very competent shooter. But I’m not a professional. While I would LOVE to use all the tier 1 gear gear the top performers use, it would not make my shooting any better. So I can’t justify the price for certain things. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not promoting buying junk! I absolutely believe in high quality.

My point exactly. It looks cool. Tough as a tank. Overkill for my level and needs. I feel quite differently about the ARC Rings. Both the Spuhr and the ARC are 34MM. I would go with the ARC again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    My point exactly. It looks cool. Tough as a tank. Overkill for my level and needs. I feel quite differently about the ARC Rings. Both the Spuhr and the ARC are 34MM. I would go with the ARC again.
    Not sure what you mean RH? What do you feel differently about the ARC rings? I know people like them, but they just won’t win me over. Too many moving parts(4 hinges/pins, etc.), and using only ONE screw to clamp the rings is a HUGE turn off! To me, they are no better than using the old fashion Leupold standard rings. You will find many, many people who will swear by them as well! And I’m sure a $50 set of Leupold standards would be every bit as effective as the ARC’s or my AD mount! I think to a point, much of what we are paying for is “Trust”! Our trust in what we use. So for any using the ARC’s with trust... I say “right on!”. But, I grew up in the world of MULTIPLE attachment screws, and fewest moving parts. I almost think the creator of the ARC products was of the “old school”. Don’t mean that in a derogatory manner. In the end though, when a part utilizes design items that I will always question & doubt, coupled with what I think is ridiculous high cost, not something that catches my eye.

All the different options are a wonderful thing! Something for everyone! No one is wrong in a choice they trust!

The Spuhr is awesome piece, The AD mount is very popular. I almost purchased one but went with the spuhr for a 34mm FFP scope. My son wanted to try the ARC rings on his same 34mm FFP scope.

We experienced some issues with consistency at long range using Warne Tactical. On the advice of one of the countries top shooters in F/Class we moved away from the vertical split rings and landed on the Spuhr and ARC rings to verify. Both are working without issue.

So to answer your question. The Spuhr are ridiculously well built, The ARC's are working flawlessly and for less money. For my needs, ARC Wins over the Spuhr.

Bias is a funny thing.

Banned
    Got ya! You are right about bias! But it’s in all of us in one form or another. Anyone who says they aren’t is either lying outrite, or lying to themselves, LOL! It’s human nature to carry some bias. Even when you can overcome, it’s still there. Very difficult to take many, many years of knowing certain reality, then someone saying, “ok, forget all that you know and do it THIS WAY!”.

Not all bias is bad either. Some biases can serve as safety mechanisms. It’s just usually attributed to the bad elements of humanity.

Edit:
    (sorry! I’m terrible at going off on tangents! Character flaw! What can I say? Conversation is never dull with me though. That I promise!)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Got ya! You are right about bias! But it’s in all of us in one form or another. Anyone who says they aren’t is either lying outrite, or lying to themselves, LOL! It’s human nature to carry some bias. Even when you can overcome, it’s still there. Very difficult to take many, many years of knowing certain reality, then someone saying, “ok, forget all that you know and do it THIS WAY!”.

Not all bias is bad either. Some biases can serve as safety mechanisms. It’s just usually attributed to the bad elements of humanity.

Edit:
    (sorry! I’m terrible at going off on tangents! Character flaw! What can I say? Conversation is never dull with me though. That I promise!)
    You just cant reach those conclusions in 39 years. lol

That was profound wasn't it?

Banned
    Some people pick things up quickly along their path in life.

And some just never get a clue no matter how old they get, I guess. Sad, that in today’s world many would rather make fun of others, over giving any useful content. Envy & hate drive this. Runs rampant among the liberal/democrat left!

Runs rampant among the liberal/democrat left!

Basic Member
    Well in fairness to our more liberal minded friends, were seeing much of that coming from the supposedly clear thinkers as well now days.
    Can we as gun owners, dare think of where we might be on this very day, had we listened to them?