Thread: Axis replacement barrel, original

Basic Member

Axis replacement barrel, original

Got a bit of a different twist on asking about an Axis replacement barrel...

I've got an Axis in .243 that I love; very accurate, at least for the first few shots. Then the sporter barrel heats up and I start seeing vertical stringing. I try to let the barrel cool (and I'm going to start using a forced air cooler), but now I wish I had waited to get the heavy barrel version.

Some users here purchase custom replacement barrels for their Axis, and I've priced those barrels. But I'm just looking for a Savage-brand heavy barrel replacement. I've checked all the usual suspects (Gunbroker, eBay, this site's classifieds, etc.), but I never see heavy barrel "take-offs" of this type.

I've checked the Savage site, but they don't list repair/replacement parts...at least I've not been able to find any there.

I know I can purchase another Axis .243 with the heavy barrel, but I was just wondering if there are any other options for finding/purchasing a heavy barrel for my current rifle...

Rick3

E R Shaw offers replacement barrels for a lot less money.
    https://www.eabco.net/E-R-Shaw-Savag...e_p_15597.html
    This kit also includes the barrel nut wrench and head space gauges.
    and reports here say the accuracy is great.

You could watch this site and see if one comes up.

http://www.switchbarrel.com/SAV_SALE.htm

Basic Member
    Both excellent suggestions, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for...thanks!

Basic Member
    Just an update: I could not find a heavy barrel for my .243, that also had a faster twist than 1:10, so...I bought a new Axis II HB in 6.5 Creedmoor. Should be arriving at my local FFL in a few days, so now I'll have two rifles to play with!
    I'll see about posting a short basic review of the new Axis once I've shot it a bit.

Excellent!

Basic Member
    That is the way to do it! I did pretty much the same thing, my 243 can stay as is for hunting, Heavy 6.5CM for target shenanigans.

Basic Member
    Well, took out the Creedmoor a few days ago. Nice shooting rifle, just like my Axis .243. I'm going to have to get used to it (more recoil than the .243), and make some changes to it:
    It came with a Kryptek camo stock (Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore exclusive), but I like the stocks that I've modified better, so I pulled the Kryptec stock off, and I'm selling it on eBay.
    It came with a two piece scope mount and an inexpensive scope; I've installed a 20 MOA single piece mount and one of my Vortex scopes.
    my .243 is an original Axis without the accutrigger, so i did the standard modification to it; i'm not sure i like the accutrigger on this one...probably just personal preference.
    it seems to be very accurate even with commercial ammo (no reloads yet). and the heavy barrel stays consistent for at least 7-8 shots in the same time duration that my 243 with the shorter barrel would start vertical stringing.

i really like it!

I'll swap you a standard trigger for your accutirgger

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick3 View Post
    Well, took out the Creedmoor a few days ago. Nice shooting rifle, just like my Axis .243. I'm going to have to get used to it (more recoil than the .243), and make some changes to it:
    It came with a Kryptek camo stock (Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore exclusive), but I like the stocks that I've modified better, so I pulled the Kryptec stock off, and I'm selling it on eBay.
    It came with a two piece scope mount and an inexpensive scope; I've installed a 20 MOA single piece mount and one of my Vortex scopes.
    my .243 is an original Axis without the accutrigger, so i did the standard modification to it; i'm not sure i like the accutrigger on this one...probably just personal preference.
    it seems to be very accurate even with commercial ammo (no reloads yet). and the heavy barrel stays consistent for at least 7-8 shots in the same time duration that my 243 with the shorter barrel would start vertical stringing.

i really like it!

I have been real happy with the Rifle Basix trigger I put on my Axis.

Basic Member
    Just sold the camo stock that it came with.
    Took the Creedmoor out to the range again today (I just retired two weeks ago...loving retirement!), and felt better about the Accutrigger...but I still like the original better without the little safety widget thingy on the trigger face.
    It shoots really nicely with my first attempt at 6.5 Creed reloads. I'm got several IMR 4064 powder recipes that I want to zero in on; not hitting .5 MOA yet, which I can sometimes do with my 243.

Basic Member
    Keep working at it and you'll find the sweet spot. I usd to use 4064 in my 7-08. Great powder.