Thread: Federal Premium Acknowledges .224 Valkyrie 90gr SMK Accuracy Issues

Federal Premium Acknowledges .224 Valkyrie 90gr SMK Accuracy Issues

Per a Facebook post from Savage Arms:

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Arms on FB
    Attention Savage MSR 15 Valkyrie and MSR 15 Recon LRP Owners:

We've heard from many of you who are thrilled with the performance of your MSR and the ground-breaking 224 Valkyrie ammo. However, if you have seen performance issues, we encourage you to refrain from using the 224 Valkyrie Sierra 90-grain MatchKing rounds at this time per the announcement from Federal Premium (link below). We have tested the other factory loaded offerings and are confident in the accuracy from our barrels with all other 224 Valkyrie ammo options available to you.

If you ever experience issues or have concerns about your firearm, please contact our Technical Services Team at (800) 370-0708. We are always here to help!
    Link to Federal Premium Press Release: https://bit.ly/2m3jipy
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

My MSR Valkyrie has been back at the factory for about 6 weeks now. I learned after a couple of phone calls that this rifle has 2 issues. First, the accuracy issue, which they told me they believe is a barrel twist rate issue, and second, the issue of blowing primers, which they said is a chamber issue. I spoke with them again today about a timeline and they said they are in the final stages of testing a solution, but haven't given a date on which they might begin receiving replacement parts or begin repairs to customers rifles.

You would think that after so many new product launches that were plagued by issues that Savage would start taking time to really wring the guts out of numerous final production models before cutting them loose to the public rather than letting the public be their guinea pigs. It all started with the Model 40 that never made it into mass production because the rimfire action simply couldn't hold up to the centerfire pressures - even on small cartridges other than the 22 Hornet. Next up the B-Mag had a couple issues and ultimately had a recall. Then the Model 25's in .17 Hornet had all kinds of chamber issues and are apparently still plagued with a magazine issue according to many who have purchased one. After that was all the rifles sent out with bad 6.5 Creedmoor barrels due to a short throated chamber that wouldn't accept factory match ammo. And lets not forget the magazine issues and occasional full-auto burst issue that affected numerous A17's when they first came out.

No product will ever be perfect when it launches and there will always be areas identified that can be improved upon once the product is exposed to being used by tens of thousands of owners in a multitude of different applications and environments, but as the above list indicates Savage hasn't had a very good track record these past 10-12 years in terms of launching trouble free new products.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    It is probably management issues. They spend 100's of thousands of dollars in R&D, prototypes, etc.. Then upper management wants to start seeing a return on the money they spent, then they rush the product out before all the issues are resolved. Either that or they are trying to get their products out before, or at the same time as their competitors to try and get as much of the market as they can. They do not want to be left in the dust because their rifle came out 6 months or a year after brand x brought out their rifle and everyone bought a brand x rifle because they were the only one available at the time.
    This is just my guess, I may be completely wrong.

Basic Member
    Bought my 1st savage, a 10T in 308, about 4 years ago. Good shooter. Emailed savage to make a 6.5CM version. Came out about 2 years later. Wasn’t as good as the 308 as far as accuracy. Sent it back. Came back stating it’s within specs. Still wasn’t that good. Sold it to fund a 338 FCP. Good rifle. Fairly accurate. But after reading numerous posts about bad scope mounts not drilled properly, barrels not properly set, especially the 6.5 CM, decided not to buy anymore savage rifles. Almost bought the msr in 224 Valkyrie. Glad I didn’t. My next bolt rifle will be a tikka or a custom build. My biggest gripe on my 2 current savages is the binding when trying to load next round fast.

What awards has this "award winning" valkyrie won?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    What awards has this "award winning" valkyrie won?
    Silly industry awards - you know, the ones where they just pat each other on the back and say "good job" before the product has even launched. NSSF, gun magazines, the NRA, etc. all have their own "stroke your ego" awards they give out every year (usually to those companies that donate the most money or buy the most advertising with them that year).