Thread: Savage Lightweight Storm

Savage Lightweight Storm

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle? I haven't been able to get my hands on one but heard from a friend that the acton was really rough.

Thanks,
    Hammer

Basic Member
    I don't own this exact model, but I do own the model 16 Lightweight Hunter. Which is a slightly older model that uses the same action and barrel.

The bolt was initially a little rough when I just got the rifle. I've had the rifle for two years and it's had about 150 rounds through it. Now, the action is much smoother. Not perfect, but definitely usable for a hunting rifle. I didn't do anything to smooth the bolt or action surfaces. Just general usage.

I really like my model 16 LWH. It takes some getting used to shooting a lightweight rifle. It's definitely manageable. I use mine for night time hog eradication in Texas. Fantastic rifle for walking several miles a night stalking for hogs.

Apollo, thanks for the post, my plan is for a mountain elk rifle so glad to hear positive reports....how does your shoot?

Basic Member
    Hammer23, you're welcome. Great choice for an elk rifle. Mine shoots about 1.5 MOA on average. I have a Trijicon AccuPoint 3x9 with the triangular reticle on mine. So, it's not really setup for accuracy. I say that, because I imagine the rifle is more accurate than 1.5 MOA. I've just never tested mine for extreme accuracy.

My Dad has the model 11 LWH in .223 and it shoots lights out. Amazingly accurate. If I could purchase my LWH again, I'd probably get the model 111 in .270. I'd also really like a lightweight elk gun. I like the idea of the Walnut stock on the model 11 and 111, because after handling both, I've found the wood stock more rigid. Which probably leads to accuracy of Dad's model 11. I also like the wood, because it would be easier to bed the action.

Basic Member
    If I really wanted to build an elk rifle, I'd take the model 111 and rebarrel it to .280 AI or 30'06. Probably a threaded barrel for a suppressor. Just my two cents.

Apollo, I like short actions for some reason....plus I don't ever plan to shoot anything past about 500 yards, but I am still evaluating my options. My plan is to build off the action and add my own barrel and stock....aftermarket parts are just hard to find.

Team Savage
    Based on the Savage LW Storm I saw at my local dealer, it looks like the new synthetic stock has less flex in the forearm and better fit than the previous Savage 16/116 LWH which came with the same stock used on the Savage Trophy Hunter. The Storm LW has the new synthetic trigger guard and the Axis-style plastic magazine bottom. The cheek rest and recoil pad do not have the new Accufit adjustable inserts. I've owned several Savage LWH rifles (.260, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor) and a Savage 111 LWH with aftermarket 280AI LW barrel. All the Savage factory (20" LWH, 22" sporter) and aftermarket (23" LW 280AI) barrels put on the various Savage LWH actions I've owned would shoot 1" MOA or less, 3-shot groups with the right load and bullets.

Basic Member
    No problem with short actions at all. Generally more lightweight, which is great on a elk rifle. There's still the 7-08 and the .308. Those are fine elk cartridges with the right bullets all the way to 400 yards. The short mags will get you even more.

Aftermarket barrels for Savage are easy to find. You'll have a hard time finding a lightweight stock. McMillan, Manners, and Stockade are some of the few options. If I ever try to really squeeze accuracy out of my model 16 I'll put it in a Stockade.

jpdown, any chance you know how much the action and the lightweight barrel weigh separately?

Apollo, definitely looking at the 7mm08 as my most likely choice, manners is probably the easiest option, but I am also considering MPI. I will check out stockade....any idea how much their stocks weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer23 View Post
    My plan is to build off the action and add my own barrel and stock....aftermarket parts are just hard to find.
    That being the case, why spend the extra $$ up front for the Lightweight Storm? You're only saving 4-6 ounces with the lightened action and the spiral fluted bolt is what makes cycling the bolt feel grittier/rougher than that of one with a standard non-spiral fluted bolt. For what you're wanting to do I'd just keep an eye out for a action in the classifieds or contact NSS to buy one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    J.Baker is right. You'd probably save money getting the action from NSS, barrel from NSS also, and the stock from Stockade.

I know this is blasphemy on a Savage forum, but I've come to the conclusion that Savage actions aren't that great to build lightweight rifles. I think Remington and Tikka actions are lighter and have more and lighter aftermarket parts available.

You could buy a Remington action, and have a Remage barrel nut system done. Then, you could screw on your own light barrels. The Remington action would let you use a 14 to 18 oz stock from MPI or Wildcat.

I could be wrong. But, my evidence is forums like Rokslide, where there's a lot of elk hunters trying to build or buy the lightest rifles. You won't find many elk hunters building a lightweight rifle from a Savage action on Rokslide.

Basic Member
    This is true, for a lightweight rifle, savage is a little heavier than the rest. That is why my elk rifle is a Kimber.... my only non-Savage rifle.

Team Savage
    jpdown, any chance you know how much the action and the lightweight barrel weigh separately?

Apollo, definitely looking at the 7mm08 as my most likely choice, manners is probably the easiest option, but I am also considering MPI. I will check out stockade....any idea how much their stocks weigh?

Over the past 10 years I have been fooling around and trying to build the lightest rifle possible on a Savage platform. There is only about 2 oz in weight difference between the standard Savage action and the LWH action. So unless you've just "got to have" the rougher fluted bolt and skeletonized action, I'd take a hard look at the Savage 16 Trophy Hunter before it is phased out of production. You'd get more rifle for your money. Especially if you just want a donor action to part out and build on. The Savage 22" factory sporter barrel weights about 6 oz more than the 20" LWH barrel (2 lbs). There are no readily available aftermarket sporter barrels. And a custom sporter barrel will most likely weigh more and shoot no better than the factory sporter barrel. The Savage factory 20" FW and 22" sporter barrels are all capable of sub 1" MOA accuracy with handloads in my experience. It appears that the new Savage 110 Engage and LW Storm have the same low-grade synthetic stock with plastic trigger guard and Axis-style DBM. These synthetic stocks (non-Accustock) are the lightest (26 oz) you are going to find for the Savage action. But they won't give you the best accuracy potential in my experience. The next lightest and best Savage stock I've found is the walnut LWH stock at 27 oz. The walnut LWH stock also has a slimmer compact profile when compared to other Savage stocks. When bedded with a metal trigger guard, I've gotten better accuracy with the walnut LWH stocks verses synthetic. The Stockade Hunter blind magazine stock is the lightest (28 to 30 oz) and best after market stock I've had the pleasure of owning so far.

Bottom line, my Savage 16 LWH 20" 6.5 Creedmoor barreled action in a painted Savage LWH walnut stock with SS metal trigger guard and Axis-style synthetic DBM magazine is the lightest Savage based rifle (7.03 lbs with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40mm scope) I've been able to piece together over the years. I also have a Savage 111 LWH action with a 23" #2 FW 280AI barrel in a Stockade Hunter stock with blind magazine. It weights 8.13 lbs with Leupold 4.5-14x40mm scope. I use Weaver 2-piece steel bases and Burris Signature Zee rings. Talley LW rings would save a few more ounces.
    Last edited by jpdown; 07-09-2018 at 08:26 PM.

J.Baker, jpdown, & Apollo,
    All great points! Thanks for the advice everyone. I like the savage action because I like 3 position safeties for hiking in the mountains, I really like locking my bolt in place. That's the primary reason I didn't want to use a Remington action. I can get a LW Storm for under $600 which is only a little bite more than just an action from NSS. If I could find an action for like $300 I might be tempted to go that route. but I have yet to see one for that price. Its good to know barrel weights because I was considering trying a carbon barrel, but it sounds like the weigh savings isnt there so not much of a point spending that money. If I used an MPI microliter stock I can shave almost a pound off all of the weights jpdown posted.

J.Baker, jpdown, & Apollo,
    All great points! Thanks for the advice everyone. I like the savage action because I like 3 position safeties for hiking in the mountains, I really like locking my bolt in place. That's the primary reason I didn't want to use a Remington action. I can get a LW Storm for under $600 which is only a little bite more than just an action from NSS. If I could find an action for like $300 I might be tempted to go that route. but I have yet to see one for that price. Its good to know barrel weights because I was considering trying a carbon barrel, but it sounds like the weigh savings isnt there so not much of a point spending that money. If I used an MPI microliter stock I can shave almost a pound off all of the weights jpdown posted.
    There have been a dozen or more Savage short-actions sold in the classifieds here on this site in the last several months for $300 or less. Actions prices have been down because everyone and their brother bought up a bunch of the 12FV's to part them out when Cabela's was selling them dirt cheap over the winter.

For reference, my Model 16 LWH in .250 Savage AI weights in at just under 7.5 pounds with a full magazine, factory weaver-style aluminum 2pc. bases, 1" Burris Sig-zee medium height rings, and an old Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x400 scope. Plan to swap out the bases/rings with a DNZ GameReaper which will save several ounces, and I'm sill looking at different scope options as the Bushy is just a place marker until I decide what I want to put on it.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Good to know, well then I will just have to keep an eye out. I will check out those rings too. Are they better/lighter than the Talleys?

Don't know if they're lighter or not as I know the Tally's are very light, but the DNZ is extremely light as well and I'm not going to quibble over an ounce or two. What I like about the DNZ Game Reaper is that the rings/base are one unit machined from a solid billet. Just a personal preference thing really.

DNZ's Hunt Masters are basically the same thing with the connecting piece machined away. I've used these as well and they're just as nicely made as the Game Reaper. Benefit of the Hunt Masters is that you get a little more flexibility in ring spacing as you can turn one or both around for three different ring spacings whereas the spacing is fixed with the Game Reaper.

Here's a Game Reaper on my Browning T-Bolt 22LR
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00409.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	4980

And here are the Hunt Masters on a Savage Axis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00824.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	4981