Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hog hunting......anyone doing it?

Basic Member

Hog hunting......anyone doing it?

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more hog hunters posting. There aren't any to hunt around here, unless you go to a game farm in Tennessee, but I understand it's pretty big in Texas etc.

The are starting to invade NE Oklahoma. Sadly, when they show up the turkey disappear!

Basic Member
    I would think this would be as popular as coyote hunting, but with the benefit of being good eating.

That's right and it would give you another opportunity to use your smoker!

Basic Member
    Two things I have dreamed of doing, hunting hogs and shooting prairie dogs. There are now more coyotes around here than woodchucks. It used to be I could go out on a nice summer evening and at least shoot a couple of times that night. The only luck I had with coyotes is in thick stuff, a long shot might be a 100 yards. Even though we have lots of fields around here, seldom will you ever see one out in the open.

I agree with you Sled, nothing better than shooting a pest that tastes good...and don't mean prairie dogs
    Run until your heart bursts

Nope but we took this mean ol oppossum out of one of the green fields over in Alabama.
    Pretty sure he'd been eating up all the supplemental deer feed.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    So is there a "season", or can you shoot them year round like coyotes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sled View Post
    So is there a "season", or can you shoot them year round like coyotes?
    Varies from state to state.
    Here in Georgia its kill 'em all. It is illegal to move feral swine from one property to another alive.
    They are considered invasive species and do a gazillion dollars worth of damage every year. Heck they are even wandering around the suburbs of Metro Atlanta tearing stuff up. A hunting license is required unless on property you own, Just like with any Georgia hunting.
    On private land, No season, No limit, Bait, Traps, Dogs, Day, Night, Lights allowed no voltage limit , Night vision, Thermal optics, Suppressors, Most any weapon you can think of that's appropriate for the area. (some Metro countys, citys have laws against the discharge of firearms.) Other than that, It's on.
    On most Wildlife Management Areas and federal lands the regulations follow other species that are in season without tagging or game check requirements. Most deer clubs have shoot on sight and keep shooting policys except during the rut.

In Alabama they are considered "game animals" but the laws concerning their harvest are very liberal and similar to Georgia with a few exceptions

Virtually all the hogs I've killed have been targets of opportunity while hunting other species. Here's one I popped right at dusk in Jan 2017 while deer hunting. It didn't do like what you might see on a TV hunt so dont expect that when hog hunting. It came running into the field wide open quartering right to left a long ways out and never stopped. It took 3 shots of 165gr .308 from my model 10 precision carbine to get it stopped. The first shot hit it I believe in the right side ham and didn't slow it down but made it zig. The second shot hit it in the chest and exited the front left shoulder it bounced off the ground slowing very little and zagged still running straight toward me with it's head down. The third shot went straight it the top of it's head and anchored it at 105 yards from my stand. I was amazed I had hit it much less with all three shots, especially at that distance. You can see some of the damage they were doing to the food plot I was hunting.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 03-03-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

In Texas they are considered varmints and can be hunted year around. They are very destructive and I do not view them as a game animal. We hunt and trap them yet nothing slows them down. We had helicopters hunt our place and they killed 146 in one day and it didn't make a dent. I hate them.

I hunt/ eat them...http://

Basic Member
    They are all over in Arkansas also, can shoot they year round and leave they lay or process if you want. Lot of coyotes here also but season closes on them March 1-June 30 during breeding season.

Quote Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
    In Texas they are considered varmints and can be hunted year around. They are very destructive and I do not view them as a game animal. We hunt and trap them yet nothing slows them down. We had helicopters hunt our place and they killed 146 in one day and it didn't make a dent. I hate them.
    They destroy crops and where they root it has to be harrowed again to plant a crop or hay. They destroy a fences and when you hit them in your truck it is totaled. On the farm road one night some guy was hauling arse when some hogs ran out in front of him. 7 dead boars, axle in the ditch driver was all banged up and his Super Duty was totaled. All of the landowners keep the hog dog guys busy these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndyLLv7iq5w
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Most of the ones I get are trapped, I see very few during day light hours

Basic Member
    Yes, I have ex-in laws in Austin, so I've heard the cussing about wild hogs and the destruction. Maybe I'd hate it, especially in Texas heat, but in the mild winters down there I can't imagine hunting hogs wouldn't be a blast, with the benefit of free pork for the smoker. Of course, the reality of it may be that it's no fun at all. I'd like to try it one day, but a game preserve in Tennessee is the closest thing around here.

Basic Member
    Ran across the gem on YouTube. I have to say, I was never much of a Gordon Ramsay fan, but he has several hunting and prep videos. Might become a fan....

Basic Member
    Hog hunting is a lot of fun when you have tons of them coming in. I enjoy varmint hunting a little more just due to be able to call them in but waiting on the next deer season there’s not much funnier than shooting pigs. Plenty of places here in Texas that wouldn’t cost you too much...come on down and try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hybridhunternm View Post
    Hog hunting is a lot of fun when you have tons of them coming in. I enjoy varmint hunting a little more just due to be able to call them in but waiting on the next deer season there’s not much funnier than shooting pigs. Plenty of places here in Texas that wouldn’t cost you too much...come on down and try it!
    Do you hunt in Flower Mound or do you travel somewhere else in TX?

Basic Member
    Not much hunting around here other than a couple small Corp land lakes. East Texas is usually where I go to hunt pigs. They are covered up out that way.

Basic Member
    The only issue in Texas is that there isn’t a ton of public land and what public we do have is hunted pretty hard. I would recommend an outfitter for sure

Can you recommend an East Texas Hog Hunting Outfitter? I would like to take my son!

Basic Member
    I forgot about a place called Gorman ranches. A little sw of dfw. Not sure what the connection is but one of the guys from swfa promotes this place and they seem to run a good outfit. Their email is GormanRanches@gmail.com, Matt is the guy to talk to. I think they run about $400 a man for a weekend hunt. Another one to look at would be boxroutfitters. They are a little cheaper, have a ton of hogs, and decent lodging. Both places aren’t going to be 5 star places but they provide a solid hunt.

Thanks for the info! I'll research them.

Basic Member
    Need a full report if you make it down!!

Yes sir! Turkey season opens April 6 here in OK. Turkey hunting is by far and hands down my favorite hunting. Stalking, calling, team work (I call, my son shoots)......I LOVE IT!!!

Basic Member
    I miss turkey hunting. Grew up with thousands of acres to hunt in New Mexico but since I’ve moved to Texas I’ve been missing out. Good luck on the gobblers!! I get just as much enjoyment in calling them as I do shooting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast