Thread: Accuracy potential flat back vs round back

Basic Member

Accuracy potential flat back vs round back

I am going to be building a 6.5 Sherman on a Savage long action and have a question on which action would be more rigid and/or prone to accuracy. I have both the flat back and the round back that I could use and am just trying to see if there would be much difference either way.

An action is little more than an ignition device that holds the barrel. Assuming both would be properly glass and pillar bedded in a good stock, the barrel, the uniformity of the ammo and the shooters ability is what will dictate the accuracy potential.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I like some of the older actions. The thing to be careful with is if the flat back is level. I have seen them with a slant before. You can fix one that is not by bedding the mount. Otherwise I agree with Jim's post

Basic Member
    I completely agree on what was said but was curious as to whether or not one had a advantage over the other or if they are generally to close to tell a difference with.

Differences between Flat and round back; Magazines, sometimes trigger, shape of top of rear baffle, shape of top of bolt handle. Action Screw Spacing/Stocks.

Interchangeable parts in most cases; Bolt assemblies and parts. Barrels. Barrel Nut. Sears on top releases, trigger hanger pin. Non Accutrigger triggers.

Accuracy is not exclusive to either action. The barrel, the ammunition and the shooter hold a larger degree of influence. So to answer your question, as long as neither action is damaged they both have an equal chance to be an accurate rifle.

Are we determining who is right between two friends or is there another reason for the question?

Basic Member
    No friend argument was just checking before my build. Like I mentioned I have both and wanted to use the best I could. From the looks it won't matter either way since they both are in good shape and I can get the stock I want for either one. Thanks for the input gents.

May I ask what is a Sherman

Basic Member
    It is a wildcat designed by Rich Sherman. It's a modified 270 case that necked down to a 6.5. if you do a Google search you can find alot about it on long range hunting website

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Differences between Flat and round back; Magazines, sometimes trigger, shape of top of rear baffle, shape of top of bolt handle. Action Screw Spacing/Stocks.
    I do believe that the earlier round backs used the same magazines and had the same action screw spacing as flat backs, so they used the same stocks.

He's using a long action so screw spacing shouldn't change. If you like the accutrigger I don't think the flat backs came with one.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?