Thread: Need help with a Savage 11VT .223

Need help with a Savage 11VT .223

Hello all,

I had been looking for a .223 or .22-250 for target and varming hunting for a while. I knew I wanted something in that caliber and with a heavy barrel. I'm not a huge fan of Dicks Sporting goods stores as of late but I happened to come across their exclusive 11VT today in .223 on clearance for $349 and couldn't pass it up. I bought the last one left in .223 and it was the floor model.

I get the rifle home and start the cleaning process. Everything looked okay and then I noticed an anomaly with the crown. Looking down into the muzzle end the hole appears lopsided due to an angular indentation approx. an 1/8" wide around the crown, almost as though a rod was pulled out of the end of the barrel at an angle and with enough force to move some metal. I can't tell if this is excess metal or if it has been pulled out of barrel. I used a 16X jewelers loop to get a better look and I could see uniform grooves into this piece of metal which made me think it was made durig rifling. Any rate, it's clealry visible and I've no idea how it passed inspection.

I'm assuming that would impair accuracy?

I have yet to shoot the rifle and am unsure what to do next. Do I just shoot it and see how it shoots or send it back to Savage? I could probably have it cut and recrowned locally but I'd be concerned finding a gunsmith capable of doing a professional job.

Any and all in put would be appreciated. Thanks.

Basic Member
    If you have the digital camera - take a picture...most Cell Phone Cameras take decent macro pictures.
    You could bring it back to DSG and explain...see what they want to do.

You could Email to Savage Customer service.
    Explain the situation (Dicks Sporting Goods, Floor model, etc).
    Ask them what you should do.
    They might call it a cosmetic blemish.
    They might say its DSG's fault.

It seems significant enough for you to post about - that implies it is significant enough to affect your staisfaction as a customer. Between DSG and SAvage, one of them should make it right.

Team Savage

Savage made the rifle and is where you'll get warranty repairs. Dicks can only replace with same and you bought the last one in the store. I, personally, wouldn't go back to Dicks (ever in my case). Contact Savage customer service and let them advise what you should do. What I would do in your position.

Basic Member
    Savage Customer Service will mail you a shipping box free, along with return postage. Be sure you have the original box the rifle came in and ensure the bar code with serial number is intact. It's been my experience that they will take good care of you.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.