Thread: Can a Savage 110 in .223 be Converted into a .22 Hornet?

Can a Savage 110 in .223 be Converted into a .22 Hornet?

I have a Savage 110 in .223 with an internal mag. With all of the expertise on this forum, surely someone has explored this idea before. Is it possible, and more importantly, can my 110 in .223 be economically converted to a good "Savage accurate" shooter in .22 Hornet? What are the details of necessary smithing chores to make the connection?

Can the chamber be re-lined with one sized for a .22 Hornet", or is the AOL of the cartridge too short to make that a feasible option? How hard would it be to configure a magazine that would feed the .22 Hornet? Finally, could the bolt be modified by simply changing the bolt head? All said and done... would it just be cheaper to buy a bolt action in .22 Hornet? The Walking Varminter appears to be a cheaped down version of the Model 110 & 10. One more question...why didn't Savage make a multishot version of the model 40? Just asking.

No rimfire in a 10/110.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    No rimfire in a 10/110.
    22 Hornet is centerfired. Bolt head would be the issue. Don't recall one made for the hornet. The model 25 comes factory chambered in 22 hornet.

You are correct Peter. I only read the headline as it was shown. I need to read the post more often...

You'll never get a Hornet to feed from a magazine in a 10/110 action - for that matter I don't think you could get one to feed single-shot in a 10/110 action either as it's just too small. Even if you could get it to feed, it would never eject as the case is so short it would fall out from under the extractor as soon as the mouth of the case cleared the chamber. That's why it's offered in the Model 25 - smaller action specifically designed for smaller cartridges.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I feel like this is posted in the wrong section of the forum.

Moved to 110 board
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I have a Savage 110 in .223 with an internal mag. With all of the expertise on this forum, surely someone has explored this idea before. Is it possible, and more importantly, can my 110 in .223 be economically converted to a good "Savage accurate" shooter in .22 Hornet? What are the details of necessary smithing chores to make the connection?

Can the chamber be re-lined with one sized for a .22 Hornet", or is the AOL of the cartridge too short to make that a feasible option? How hard would it be to configure a magazine that would feed the .22 Hornet? Finally, could the bolt be modified by simply changing the bolt head? All said and done... would it just be cheaper to buy a bolt action in .22 Hornet? The Walking Varminter appears to be a cheaped down version of the Model 110 & 10. One more question...why didn't Savage make a multishot version of the model 40? Just asking.
    I've built a 17 hornet on a 110 action. PTG Hornet bolt head, single shot. Extractor works perfect. Feeding hollow point bullets a bit dicey but Vmax slide right in. It would cost you approximately 300 for smithing, 70 for the bolt head and 20 for the single shot tray from SSS. If interested PM me for more info

Phil