Thread: Bolt head swap

Bolt head swap

Forgive my inexperience, im pretty new at this.
    I have a 260 LRP id like to redo to a 6.5prc. I have found an older top release 300wsm that is a early small barrel shank. Will i be able swap the bolt heads between the 260 and 300wsm bolts?the reason to swap the heads is i have a new McGowan smallshank 6mm creedmore barrel to thread into the 300wsm reciever.

Lucky, More importantly is your early 300 wsm control round(stagger fed)[Which it is.] or the push feed ( center fed) action. The older stagger fed rifles used a standing ejector. The action had a machined provision for the ejector the was secured by the trigger hanger pin. The more modern WSM's had a push feed bolt head with a ejector pin that was in the bolt face itself. The first picture is a control feed from a stagger feed wsm. without the ejector and the machining of the action for the ejector it will not eject using this boltface.

and the ejector.

The bolthead you want is for the pushfeed design for the more modern centerfed action. And all of the parts to go along with it. The extractor, ball and spring, the ejector pin, retaining pin and spring and more than likely a firing pin assembly.

It has been forever and a day since I tackled this job but this info will get you started in a direction that will give you a better understanding of what your in for. I'm sure I missed something or goofed this post up but hopefully together we can get you the right information.

One last thing.....You might be able to modify a long action magnum bolt head to keep from needing a firing pin.

Wow thank you for that vast amout of knowledge robinhood!!!! Doesn't seem like a worth while swap for my level of experience. Id really like to turn my lrp into a 6.5 prc, in what way do you feel that would be easiest to achieve?

swap your bolt with someone wanting to move from a WSM to a .473 Bolt face(what you have). The other way is to buy a long action magnum bolt head. Machine or carefully grind the nose of the bolt head to the correct length, assemble and set firing pin protrusion. Install barrel and set headspace. You will need to modify a wsm magbox by adjusting the feed lips. Doneskey......I think. Hang around for a while and you will learn enough to DIY or maybe meet someone local that can help.

Your 260 does not give up much to the PRC

I realize its not a huge difference. But if i could do the swap reasonably i feel the extra 175 to 200fps would be worth it.

Hey Luckyjones, would you mind updating on your progress.... I am thinking about rebarreling my Model12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor to 6.5 PRC but the bolt face change out doesn't seem so straight forward. I found a bolt face on Midway that I think will work savage part number but its never in stock and a PTG bolt face appears to require a gunsmith....

Thanks
    K

from PTG website

*ATTENTION*
    Be Advised: Bolts may need to be fitted to receiver. The bolt locking-lugs will likely need to be trued to your receiver; a gunsmith would be required. You can purchase the fixture for Cam Clearance

The PTG bolt does not require a gunsmith unless it was not machined to their specifications. The firing pin length thus the bolt head length is critical when doing BH swaps. I have seen dozens in operation with no issues. Fred and others have complained about some holes not being correct if I remember correctly. However as long as you understand the basics of Savage smithing you can probably work through most of your issues with the help of the guys on this site. Join Savage shooters and get all the advice you will need.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.