Thread: Caldwell FieldPod Shooting tripod

Team Savage

Caldwell FieldPod Shooting tripod

Is the Magnum $100 better than the Max? Have you used both?

Bill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Is the Magnum $100 better than the Max? Have you used both?

Bill
    Havent used either Bill, but I have been very involved with both portable benches and shooting tripods for a long time.
    I'll; start by saying the best one dosent yet exist, as none will match the solid support a well built bench offers.
    And an argument could be made regarding a good shooter using a prone position with a bipod.
    Problem arises when hunting and uneven ground conditions, especially in mountainous terrain.
    Other factors such as vegetation and low brush can figure in also.
    All of which might have impacted your decision to consider an alternet position for shooting.
    I did a Google search of the Caldwell tripods, and came up with 2 models both offered by Cabelas.
    The Deadshot model @109.99, and the Magnum model @ 249.99. The major difference appears to be in the tripod quality.
    If I were locked into deciding on just those two, the magnum would be my choice hands down.
    No doubt both would work well for one shot, but what about follow up shots?
    If your using it for varmints or just casual shooting, then the priorities wont be as high.
    But for serious hunting, don't rush into this and don't let dollars make your decision.
    I would also suggest you look at "the Ultimate Tripod" made by McFadden machine co in Blairsville PA.
    Also the Lone Star tripod made in Texas. Both would be more expensive than the Caldwell, but pretty much top of the line.
    We use both at our camp and both are very good. I have made a few of my own which also work very well, but it all starts with the tripod quality.
    If your interested I can email pics.

I use a deadshot mainly for prairie dogs. It works great for shots out to about 300-400. Not stable enough for me after that. I also use it for crossbow deer hunting when I am on the ground and slug guns when on the ground.

Team Savage
    Thanks for the replies. I am darn near 80 and getting up off the ground is a struggle, so prone and even sitting is nearly out of the question. I believe the "Magnum" is the only one the adjusts high enough to use standing up???? I just wonder if the Magnum is enough better, more stable, to justify the price.

Bill

Basic Member
    Weight of the gun is another factor, as is the amount of recoil, both of which can be offset to a large degree by the tripod quality.
    Both the Lone Star and the Ultimate will handle 15 to 20# magnum rifles and are stable enough for the much longer shots.
    Weve used them with no issues out to 1500 yds using large 338s.
    But be aware a good portable bench can be built cheaper, and be lighter and easier to store in a small vehicle like a Jeep.
    So if cost is an issue, by all means build a small portable bench.
    I have pics of both.

The deadshot is definitely not tall enough for standing shots. When I shoot I have it adjusted low so I hunch forward to rest my elbows on my thighs. I have a couple of pictures but the site will not let me upload them from my iPad.

https://www.amazon.com/BOG-POD-SSC-S...F6N37E8MJFSAE7

This is another option similar to what you're looking at. I haven't used it myself, but did see a youtube video or 2 where a guy was using it in the Groundhog fields.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    The deadshot is definitely not tall enough for standing shots. When I shoot I have it adjusted low so I hunch forward to rest my elbows on my thighs. I have a couple of pictures but the site will not let me upload them from my iPad.
    Well in my opinion, the main purpose of using a tripod for shooting, is so you can stand while shooting. If you cant do that, then whats the point to using one? Many of the smaller camera type tripods which that one is, wont allow for standing erect while using them, even when using just a spotting scope or binnoculars. I would suggest going to ebay and used camera tripods. When you get there type in "Husky" also known as elevator. Be patient and you will find one for peanuts that will be heavy duty and allow for a very tall man to stand behind.
    It will be superior to the one you have in every way. It will require some engineering to adapt to your top section but not much.
    Some have a coil spring head design, and with that you could build a complete setup from scratch for lighter guns. But there are also much bigger spring heads which are even better. look for Davis and Sandford.

The point of mine for prairie dogs is so I am not shooting prone. And if you are sitting in a ground blind or in the open hunting deer I typically want to be as small as possible. And I am pretty sure the more solid points of contact you can have shooting equals more stability. Hence, sitting in my chair leaning into the rest. And, sitting gets me out of the grass. As mentioned there is a bog pod. I have one of those and used it on a conventional tripod. It is ok but not near as solid as the deadshot.

Team Savage
    yobuck, sent you a PM.

Looking like the Magnum is what I want, but would like to investigate the portable bench.

Thanks again,

Bill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    The point of mine for prairie dogs is so I am not shooting prone. And if you are sitting in a ground blind or in the open hunting deer I typically want to be as small as possible. And I am pretty sure the more solid points of contact you can have shooting equals more stability. Hence, sitting in my chair leaning into the rest. And, sitting gets me out of the grass. As mentioned there is a bog pod. I have one of those and used it on a conventional tripod. It is ok but not near as solid as the deadshot.
    Id be considering a small and light portable bench. Especially if you spend a lot of time sitting as in P/D hunting.
    Also allows for a wider range of options for resting the gun, including a stop for loading a bipod if you prefer.
    There is no all round perfect solution, so just select what works best most of the time for what you do and where you do it.
    Best solution is to use both if you can, and when P/D hunting thats often very possible.

Basic Member
    Primos Trigger Stick Gen 3 may be what I get. I walk some uneven/steep ground groundhog hunting with a 22mag, pistol and carbine. In winter, daily walk across the farm, a shame not to have a bigger rifle along. I like the adjustment cam and the attachment for optics. Over $100 by a bit.

Look in my post list if it's still here, photos of adjustable portable bench we built. Thinking about an aluminum frame/leg with smaller table, the prototype is schedule 40 square steel tube adjustable to 6 " per leg. Switching to aluminum will make it field ready.