Thread: Factroy stock unequal gap arond barrel

Basic Member

Factroy stock unequal gap arond barrel

Hey, trying to figure out if I should contact Savage about this. My Axis (223, left hand) has noticeably different gaps between the left and right sides of the stock's barrel channel. If I don't put pressure on the stock a dollar slides nicely all the way down to the chamber end. If I put the bipod out and rest the rifle there's contact between the forearm and the barrel. Is this expected since the Axis isn't a high end rifle?

Thanks!

Basic Member
    It's expected because the STOCK is not a high end stock. It should not be a problem for most hunting situations without a bi pod or if your rest is close to the action. Otherwise, you will need a stiffer stock.

Basic Member
    Or you can stiffen up the forend several different ways.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

It has a floating bolthead. Everything will be fine.

Might be time to upgrade your Axis stock with Boyds stock.
    Here is my Axis 270 Win.

Basic Member
    I have the same color in a ProVarmint stock. They are pretty. And they are very inexpensive for a 'custom' stock.

PS yes, mine also had uneven gap between barrel and stock. I also shoot from a bipod, but, I don't put any extra stress on it. When shooting my left hand is holding the rear sandbag and the right is loose around the grip. The stock on mine did not touch the barrel when it was resting like that. My typical 100yd group was right at 1". Many were less than that and half inch groups were not that unusual. I have had a few 10 round 3/4 inch groups. Mine is a heavy barrel in .223

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
    Might be time to upgrade your Axis stock with Boyds stock.
    Here is my Axis 270 Win.
    Looks nice!

Not sure I want to shop at Boyd's. Did an order after they closed on Monday, called them up 24 minutes after they opened Tuesday because I had a question about the information on their website. Turns out their web information was wrong and that would change one small part of my order. I wanted the matte trigger guard vice the nickel/stainless one. Okay, we all make mistakes. Yet when I asked them to change the part the customer service rep said they wouldn't since it would take them hours to find my order. Instead I had to redo the order after their pre-authorization dropped off my card in 3-5 business days.

One phone call and two e-mails later I'm totally under-whelmed. Looking to spend my money elsewhere.

Same day as the Boyd's fiasco I'm talking to the folks that make the Weather meter I use. Turns out there's a design issue that requires a longer time to reach ambient temperature. The meter I have takes longer than the competitor. It's also less than half the price. The guy I talked to explained that and then said if I wasn't totally happy they'd do a full refund. That sort of customer service is inspiring. I'm keeping the meter, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Leam View Post
    Looks nice!

Not sure I want to shop at Boyd's. Did an order after they closed on Monday, called them up 24 minutes after they opened Tuesday because I had a question about the information on their website. Turns out their web information was wrong and that would change one small part of my order. I wanted the matte trigger guard vice the nickel/stainless one. Okay, we all make mistakes. Yet when I asked them to change the part the customer service rep said they wouldn't since it would take them hours to find my order. Instead I had to redo the order after their pre-authorization dropped off my card in 3-5 business days.

One phone call and two e-mails later I'm totally under-whelmed. Looking to spend my money elsewhere.

Same day as the Boyd's fiasco I'm talking to the folks that make the Weather meter I use. Turns out there's a design issue that requires a longer time to reach ambient temperature. The meter I have takes longer than the competitor. It's also less than half the price. The guy I talked to explained that and then said if I wasn't totally happy they'd do a full refund. That sort of customer service is inspiring. I'm keeping the meter, by the way.
    I don't blame you, I had good support when I called them asking questions before ordering my stock. There is always one person that doesn't want to go the extra mile to make a customer happy, and you meant that person.
    I would write corporate of your disappointment with there company so they can fix it for the next person not to go through what you just experienced.

Basic Member
    Call back later you will probably get someone else more willing to help. As for the unevenness loosen up the screws and reposition the stock and retighten it. That is what I did with mine and it has been fine ever since.

Basic Member
    I would write corporate of your disappointment with there company so they can fix it for the next person not to go through what you just experienced.
    Anyone have contact info? All I saw on their website was Sales and Customer Service. I'm not sure how big Boyd's is nor how hard it is to get in contact with management.

As a former small business owner, I understand the need to give them honest feedback in a polite way. Most everything else I've heard about Boyds has been positive so maybe we can move forward with this eventually.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Call back later you will probably get someone else more willing to help. As for the unevenness loosen up the screws and reposition the stock and retighten it. That is what I did with mine and it has been fine ever since.
    Thanks! I'll give the adjustment a shot. Hoping someone has contact info for Boyd's management.

Anyone have contact info? All I saw on their website was Sales and Customer Service. I'm not sure how big Boyd's is nor how hard it is to get in contact with management.

As a former small business owner, I understand the need to give them honest feedback in a polite way. Most everything else I've heard about Boyds has been positive so maybe we can move forward with this eventually.
    I see your point, perhaps a nice letter, they have address.

Basic Member
    What's really sad is that it took me until a couple days ago to see the terrible spelling in the subject line. I guess I really needed more coffee...or something...

What's really sad is that it took me until a couple days ago to see the terrible spelling in the subject line. I guess I really needed more coffee...or something...
    We don't grade on spelling here, my spelling is terrible, thank god for spell checker!

Basic Member
    When I bought my Axis rifles, a .223 and a .270, both had the condition you describe -- but both shot more than acceptably well, and for a long time I did nothing at all about it. One day I got curious and added a piece of cut-up credit card in the barrel channel just behind the forend tip on the .223. This created a pressure point, of course, but it evened up the stock gap. And, lo and behold, groups actually tightened up a bit. I did it to the .270 next, with the same results -- nice, even gap, slightly improved groups. Solved two problems at once -- a cosmetic one, and a real one I didn't even realize I had.

Basic Member
    I see your point, perhaps a nice letter, they have address.
    Phone call to Jack, the Sales and Customer Service manager. Very nice guy and working with me on the issues. I'll be ordering once the last question is resolved.