Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting tidbits of info on the 6.5 Creedmoor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peebles24 View Post
    Might be as good of place as any to start my thirst for knowledge. I recently got a savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor, and soon as my press and dies show up im going to be trying to figure out and find a node for it. In other forums i have heard the savage 6.5 chamber will be expected to be loose, is this true. Am i wasting money buying a good set of whidden click adjust fl shoulder bump bushing dies. I know when i left to much oil in my chamber after cleaning i had some pretty bad head swipe and showed over 100 fps bump across the chrony for a couple rounds. Is there any good way for me to get really good measurements on my chamber? Maybe not the right place to ask but should you neck turn before using bushing dies.

Sorry so much i need to learn and im trying to be ready for a 1k event at camp attabury her in indiana.

I have been reloading for about 6 years but im not going to try to load precision ammo on my lee 4 hole turret. I have never loaded for more than plinking and hunting.

Thank you
    Chad
    I go back to my original write above and repeat the flexibility of the 6.5CM round. It is very forgiving and eats a lot of loads that tack under 1/2". Watch your brass, anneal often, and check your primer pockets closely for oversize each loading. Small primer brass helps to eliminate this problem and give you many firings out of your cases. Great gun and round. Enjoy it

Mitchell Maxberry also thinks the 6.5 Creedmoor is a fad. Course Mitchell is queer for the 260 and with good reason considering. Scroll down past the load data for the rants.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/0...oor-load-data/

Basic Member
    Knowing what we know now about the 6.5 Creedmoor's military usage, I have to laugh at Mitchell Maxbury's shortsightedness regarding the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Basic Member
    What military usage?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Maxberry is right about the original purpose and "niche" for the 6.5 CM. It would already be like the 6.5x284 by now if sales depended on competition use. Besides the 6mm is a better way to go. When you check out "what the pros use" the 6MM gets the nod in a big way. Imagine if Remington had done the marketing that Hornady did and given the 260 the support it needed. Better yet in an AI version. Bet the 6.5 CM would be a never happen. I shoot the CM in sporting rifles only because it does more than the 243 with better barrel life....but better than the 260? I don't think so.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23...adopts-6-5-cm/

Military usage. Really don't know why after the testing they picked the CM over the 260. Because of the shoulder angle I bet there will be feeding issues with the CM before all is said and done. But it is what it is and I didn't do any of the testing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebles24 View Post
    Might be as good of place as any to start my thirst for knowledge. I recently got a savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor, and soon as my press and dies show up im going to be trying to figure out and find a node for it. In other forums i have heard the savage 6.5 chamber will be expected to be loose, is this true. Am i wasting money buying a good set of whidden click adjust fl shoulder bump bushing dies. I know when i left to much oil in my chamber after cleaning i had some pretty bad head swipe and showed over 100 fps bump across the chrony for a couple rounds. Is there any good way for me to get really good measurements on my chamber? Maybe not the right place to ask but should you neck turn before using bushing dies.

Sorry so much i need to learn and im trying to be ready for a 1k event at camp attabury her in indiana.

I have been reloading for about 6 years but im not going to try to load precision ammo on my lee 4 hole turret. I have never loaded for more than plinking and hunting.

Thank you
    Chad
    I have the same gun and shot 2k rounds through it before I put an FTR barrel on it. With quality brass and berger bullets this gun would shoot 1 hole groups at 100 yards. I'm talking, looks like you only fired one shot.

Yes, it's got a lot of freebore. I ran Berger 140 Hybrids .040 off the lands and the bullet was only about 3/4 into the neck.

If you want to shoot 140's (you should) Get some h4350 and start around 41g and work up from there.

You didn't waste your money on Whidden dies. I personally don't prefer them, but I'm the minority. I prefer to use redding competition dies and their precision shell holders. No fiddling with neck bump. I just used their + .010 shell holder that adds 10 thou to the headspace over saami specs

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    The Creedmoor has been out for a decade now, so most any competent gunsmith or barrel maker should have discovered and addressed any issue they had with their chamber reamer if they got one of the bad ones with the shorter throat.

The ammunition and brass issues are the big issue here as after all this time the inconsistency problem still persists. The brass inconsistency isn't even that huge of an issue because if you're doing things right you are FL sizing your new brass before loading it the first time. Unless your dies are long it's going to push the shoulders on those longer out-of-spec cases back to where they need to be, and then they will all be fire-formed to your chamber after the first firing and you can adjust your FL or neck sizing die to get the appropriate 0.002 to 0.003" shoulder bump.

The real problem lies with the brass inconsistency on factory loaded ammo. If you don't typically shoot factory ammunition you're good to go, but if you don't reload it's an issue you need to be aware of and watch for.
    This is where I sit I guess. Never had an issue with my 10-FPCsr.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12