Thread: Developing 6.5x284 142gr SMK loads for new Savage F Class rifle….

Basic Member

Developing 6.5x284 142gr SMK loads for new Savage F Class rifle….

Recently picked up F class in 6.5x284. Shot 120 rounds of Nosler MG 140’s for the brass. Have Lapua brass coming...
    Will start off reloading SMK 142.

Spent some time this morning getting some COAL/CBTO numbers. Did 50 tests…
    AVG COAL was 2.913. AVG CBTO was 2.229 using Sinclair nut. Also smoked the bullet and nut was right on the smoke line.
    Dont have a Hornady case for 6.5x284 OAL gauge yet.

Reason I ask is I found this thread below from 04/2013 and is the opposite of what I’m seeing in MY rifle…

“Bought new Savage f/class 6.5x284 and not having alot of luck getting it shooting. With smk 142 or berger 140 grain hybrid to get bullets to touch lands there is no bearing surface in the case . I either have jump to much or not have much bullet in case. Does anyone else have one of these and could you let me know what is your length to lands is with these 2 bullets. SMK is 3.220 to lands and berger is 3.270 to lands.”

I used a split case neck with just enough tension to hold bullet, chamber, extract carefully and measure.

Either my method is off, (been doing this way for years with .308, .223 and 6.5CM) or Savage has shortened the freebore some?

Anybody else getting these numbers on newer F Class Savage with SMK 142?

Thanks, Red

Basic Member
    The other guy had problems, yours will work. Let us know how it shoots.

[QUOTE]Dont have a Hornady case for 6.5x284 OAL gauge yet.[QUOTE]

Red, the Hornady case will be your best friend. Any reason you don't have one yet? I have the bit and tap, all I need is two spent cases to make one.

I have not seen any information on Savage changing their "freebore" on any barrels.

Jim and I use to custom throat the chambers, I still do on my personal barrels.

Personally, I always made sure the bullet had 100% of the bearing surface in the neck only, then cut the freebore based on this bullet "only" loaded case. No primer or powder. This bullet was then the bullet for the barrels life. I am sure bullets close to the 142 would work as well.

My experience with the SMK 142's is they performed best "kissing" the lands, or up to .010 "in" the lands.

This method "always" produced sub MOA barrels!

I used a split case neck with just enough tension to hold bullet, chamber, extract carefully and measure

I also determine my bearing surface contact with split cases. I like my bullet a little tighter in the case. I use a RED Sharpie to color the bearing surface on the bullet. I can clearly see when the complete bearing surface is in the middle of the neck. And if anything, I would rather it be further out vs. further in the case. I sometimes use a few cases and bullets, anywhere from 2 to 5 to make sure it's almost 99% perfect.

I use the same method to determine when the bullet kisses the lands, plus inspect the bullet to make sure all lands are touching the bullet. No box of bullets are perfect, sometimes I found .003 difference with bullets touching the lands. In this case, with inconsistences, I would always put the bullet a little into the lands, like .002 +/- .001 .

I had the privilege of shooting a match with "John Brewer" several years ago. I managed to get a few tips from him. He shot the 6.5x284 in matches. There is still a few articles out there with John Brewer, I often refer back to them. RIP John Brewer!

Also the "Hoover Clan" still has a few articles out there with great information as well.

JMO, Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Thanks so much for the replies...
    Just got the Hornady mod case.
    The search will continue.