Thread: Another happy Athlon Customer!

Banned

Another happy Athlon Customer!

Just received my Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 scope. Have been looking at them for months, but just biding time. Price has been fairly steady, at around $589 for the months I've looked at it. Then last week I come across a new listing for $339! Couldn't pass on that deal! Absolutely love it! I chose the APMR1 reticle in Mil, and it also uses 1/10th Mil turrets. Typical 30mm tube, side parallax & it's even illuminated.

The glass is nice. S&B with ED glass quality? Well of course not! But it's absolutely up there with other $600-$1000 optics. The MSRP on Athlon is $710, and it's worth that. So spending $339 on it is a NO BRAINER! Chromatic Aberration is tolorable at higher magnification. It's an attractive optic and not too large, at 13.8" long. The construction is "tank like" built, and the warranty is bulletproof.

Haven't tested yet, but it's been out & reviewed long enough that I know the subtensions will track perfectly! The scope does have what I would call about the bare minimum elevation adjustment in a long distance scope, at 18Mils. However, My rifle is chambered in the ultra flat shooting 6.5-08(260 Rem) & my chassis has an extra 20MOA(5.5Mil) built in the rail. Given this, I have enough elevation to take advantage of just about the entire distance capability of the cartridge. I'll have it clamped in an American Defense Recon-S, 1-piece mount.

Looking forward to getting it out. Difficult being disabled and no longer driving. I actualiy did my trigger today. I'll do another thread on that. And I still want to pick up a PTG bolt head & body. This is a formidable rifle build!

Edit: Was pleased to find the Midas has almost 22Mils of elevation! It's listed as having 18. About another 14MOA for those in standard mindset. Was a pleasant surprise indeed!

Basic Member
    I picked up one too. I haven't mounted it up on my 300 Win Mag 10T-SR yet, but I liked the tactile feel of the clicks, it is much better than the Argos in that regard. Just looking through the scope it seems better than the Argos' glass quality.
    I got the ALPR-1 reticle. While I like the reticle, the calibration for the reticle is at 15 power. My scope doesn't have a mark at the right calibration spot, but I guess as long as the turrets track well it isn't a big deal. The other thing is that it is 6 MIL per revolution. I got used to the 10 MIL per revolution with my XTR2's and I am not sure how I will like going to 6.

Overall if it tracks well when I get it on my rifle, I will consider it an excellent buy.

Banned
    Right between the 1 & 5 on 15x is where you want it for FFP sighting. I have never been one of the FFP fans, like so many. I really think it's just a "band wagon" thing for the masses. Honestly, who of us are using our reticles to gauge target distance?? It's actually no better than SFP since you need to know the EXACT height of the object used with the reticle, at that particular distance, to achieve precise distance. No thanks! I'll keep my several hundred dollars extra they want, and stick to SFP. I guess I'll just shoot known distances or use my laser range finder, LIKE EVERYONE DOES ANYWAY! LOL!

Dave,

I recently moved to a FFP scope and I am a huge fan of it now, and can't imagine going back to a SFP. The benefit for me is not in using the reticle to range objects. I prefer it because my subtensions remain constant regardless of what magnification I'm on... or in between.

The SFP scopes subtensions change when you adjust your magnification, and there's no way to know if you're exactly on 9 power or 18 power for example... Without knowing that, I don't know if it's 2 moa between hashmarks or if it's 2MOA + because I'm not exactly on the number.

The only thing that I don't like about my FFP scope is that I can't see the reticle or my center dot when I've got it cranked down as low as it will go.... However, I've never had to turn it down that low and probably never will.

Basic Member
    I have never once used a FFP scope for ranging... or any scope for that matter. I use my scope for shooting and the main and largest reason for having a FFP scope for me is using the reticle for shooting at distance without having to dial. 1/2 MIL is 1/2 mil at 3 power, 10 power or 20 power. A SFP scope is not as user friendly in that reguard.

Basic Member
    I like my Argos FFP. The crosshairs do get fat at top magnification. At a thousand yards, I measured a plate with the reticle(18"), pretty cool. I'm probably getting a sfp for my next target scope, more magnification, fine crosshairs. It will be for an F/tr build, fixed distance shooting. Would be nice if Athlon would build something like the Vortex Golden Eagle.

Banned
    Yes, I can appreciate your points for subtensions reticle holdover. I learned holdover using a fine duplex, so, "calibrated guessing" you could say. I'm happy for anyone who is pleased with their FFP scope. Have used them, and they didn't win me over, is all I'm trying to convey. I don't mind them, but I'm not willing to pay a dime more for FFP. I no longer hunt, and I'm not waiting for an apocalypse, thinking I'm actually going to be playing war games & NEED to make a shot for life or death! LOL! Seriously, I shoot for enjoyment at known distance. And I appreciate teaching myself and memorizing ballistics for doping.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Right between the 1 & 5 on 15x is where you want it for FFP sighting. I have never been one of the FFP fans, like so many. I really think it's just a "band wagon" thing for the masses. Honestly, who of us are using our reticles to gauge target distance?? It's actually no better than SFP since you need to know the EXACT height of the object used with the reticle, at that particular distance, to achieve precise distance. No thanks! I'll keep my several hundred dollars extra they want, and stick to SFP. I guess I'll just shoot known distances or use my laser range finder, LIKE EVERYONE DOES ANYWAY! LOL!
    At 47yrs old and started shooting LR at 22yrs old, I don't consider myself a 'fanboy' or 'jumping on the 'band wagon.'

I, for one, do mil targets for range. I guess I'm not "...Like everyone does anyway..." ((minus the all caps)), because I do not own a laser range finder.

I do hunt and knowing the 'exact' size of the critter, to the inch, is not required for accurate mil'ing....unless shooting at a ground hog at 1300 yards.

I guess for punching holes in paper at known yardages, SFP is fine. But, not for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by A&8's View Post
    At 47yrs old and started shooting LR at 22yrs old, I don't consider myself a 'fanboy' or 'jumping on the 'band wagon.'

I, for one, do mil targets for range. I guess I'm not "...Like everyone does anyway..." ((minus the all caps)), because I do not own a laser range finder.

I do hunt and knowing the 'exact' size of the critter, to the inch, is not required for accurate mil'ing....unless shooting at a ground hog at 1300 yards.

I guess for punching holes in paper at known yardages, SFP is fine. But, not for me.
    A&8’s, you misinterpreted my post. I started by saying “I can appreciate those points”, meaning people who KNOW what they are doing. I do not include people like this as part of the general masses. FFP scopes have gained vast popularity today, and *most using them do not do, nor can do what you do! Those people are the huddled masses. I apologize you felt so threatened, but I thought it was obvious who the “masses” are.

Oh, and I’m 40..but age has absolutely nothing to do with expertise. And as I stated also, I don’t hunt ANYMORE. Which is to say I DID in my past. But even then, once again as I stated, I always used a range finder, and learned holdover with a duplex or thin crosshairs. And I didn’t sport hunt. Just hunted for game meat. Killing just to kill doesn’t add inches to your Johnson! (Not saying you do! Just saying!)

I agree with you! Paper punching at set distances isn’t very fun. Don’t like doing that either, save for working up a load. Now Ringing steel at 550, 710, 849 and 1000yards or more?? That starts getting fun again. But I can’t even get out for that these days. I’m disabled, and I no longer drive. So mostly, I enjoy building firearms, gunsmithing & reloading. Oh, and making custom knives. I really like that as well. But I’m looking into joining a bench rest club at the first 1000yd range in the US. Looks like something fun for an old cripple like me, LOL!

In any case, please accept my apologies for you being offended. Was not my intention.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    A&8’s, you misinterpreted my post. I started by saying “I can appreciate those points”, meaning people who KNOW what they are doing. I do not include people like this as part of the general masses. FFP scopes have gained vast popularity today, and *most using them do not do, nor can do what you do! Those people are the huddled masses. I apologize you felt so threatened, but I thought it was obvious who the “masses” are.

Oh, and I’m 40..but age has absolutely nothing to do with expertise. And as I stated also, I don’t hunt ANYMORE. Which is to say I DID in my past. But even then, once again as I stated, I always used a range finder, and learned holdover with a duplex or thin crosshairs. And I didn’t sport hunt. Just hunted for game meat. Killing just to kill doesn’t add inches to your Johnson! (Not saying you do! Just saying!)

I agree with you! Paper punching at set distances isn’t very fun. Don’t like doing that either, save for working up a load. Now Ringing steel at 550, 710, 849 and 1000yards or more?? That starts getting fun again. But I can’t even get out for that these days. I’m disabled, and I no longer drive. So mostly, I enjoy building firearms, gunsmithing & reloading. Oh, and making custom knives. I really like that as well. But I’m looking into joining a bench rest club at the first 1000yd range in the US. Looks like something fun for an old cripple like me, LOL!

In any case, please accept my apologies for you being offended. Was not my intention.

No harm, No foul.