Thread: Newbie here needs info on equipment to mount optic on 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor

Newbie here needs info on equipment to mount optic on 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor

There ya have it...

I was advised to head to Savage specific forum vs getting advice from all over hell for firearms.

I picked up the 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor recently. i have a cheap Vortex Crossfire II optic. All I want to do is shoot some yotes or try to anyways. - 200-300 yds tops probably

So what I dont know is what do I need.... a pic rail /base..whatever it is for rings.. which one? rings, low med high? i didnt know that was an option... so... been more of a bowhunting guy so firearms are new to me and I ahve minimal experience, don't want to invest in the super expensive options.. ths isn't that important to me and everyone seems to be absolute experts when it comes to firearms especially.

lots of options I assume... don't fight, just tell me exactly what to buy. i'll take it to cabelas to get bore scoped at first whatever it is.

tell me what to scope it in at... 100yds? when i finally do get out.

i dont know how to work that scope yet. gonna have to research that.

what's "eye relief" and how is it important.

thanks guys.

Team Savage
    EGW pic. rail & Burris Sig. z rings would be a great start

You are probably good with low but Vortex can tell you if you email them. Then you can cross reference their ring height to other manufacturers. They go by base to bottom of scope or base to centerline of ring if that help.

When buying Rings it’s highly dependent on the objective lens size. Medium would likely work.

As for bases and rings, but what you like. Most would work for your purposes. I like EGW and Burris same as drybean states above. The signature series rings are pretty awesome in my opinion. Warne also makes great stuff. Leupold isn’t bad either.

Hope this doesnt muddy the puddle.

Basic Member
    I have always liked the Talley 1 piece mounts. Get the single extended ones, and a low should work for a small scope like you have. So model #93X725, about $35 right now. You can easily bore scope it yourself. Pull the bolt out and aim the rifle at a high contrast point 80+ years off in the distance. Look through the bore and line it up on that point, then adjust the reticle to follow. You should easily be on paper when you shoot it for the first time. I am no expert on zero range setting, but you can either set it for 100 and learn about the drop, or work up a coyote point blank range. You may want to do some reading on that one...

"Eye relief" refers to the shortest distance between your eye and the rearmost lens of the scope that gives a proper image (full reticle with minimal margins). Not critical on a 6.5 Creedmoor, but if you've ever been smacked by a larger caliber you appreciate enough. And if you wear eyeglasses the longer relief is a blessing.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I am usually a cheap SOB when it comes to stuff like this. Cheap scopes. Cheap rings and bases. If I have to pick a brand Weaver have always been good for me. Or, like on my Axis, it is the stuff that came with the rifle. I'm sure they are cheap rings and bases, just don't know what brand Savage installs on the XP packages. So far they work well.

If you are having a shop mount it ask them what they have. Tell them you don't want to spend much.

I had my last scope mounted at Sportsmans Warehouse. It was not a cheap setup so I picked Warne rings and base (12BVSS and Vortex Viper PST). The guys there did a great job on it.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    EGW O-MOA scope ring base with extra screws http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-...-ambidextrous/

Werne 30mm rings. I'd get the medium height. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...er-style-rings

Some blue locktite for base screws. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...9728/100371826

I hope this helps!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Go with Drybean.

As above- eye relief is the distance your eye can focus on the sight picture. Eye relief of 3-4 inches is ok. One inch is sure to get you "scoped" with one hell of either a black eye from the recoil or a lot of bleeding around the eye and just maybe cracked bones around your own ocular bell. I have seen everything from a newbie to a Marine marksman mess themselves up with this. It not a real problem with a .22lr but starts to get dicey as you increase caliber.

Ken Farrel mount with American Rifle Company or Spuhr rings.

Basic Member
    TreeStand:

Weaver makes a Short Action 20MOA rail. you can get for $33.95 on Amazon.

Weaver also makes a 4 or 6 screw set of 30mm rings.
    The 4 screw are called Weaver Four Hole Skeleton Rings.
    The 6 screw are called Weaver Tactical Rings.
    The 6 screw arent any more tactical and the 4 arent any less. Its just the number of screws thats different.
    You can choose your ring height.
    Low or Medium will probably work fine. There is math involved, but not much. Depends on the scope you have.
    Some of the Crossfire II's are rather large objective lenses. Let us know which one you have, and we can probably help more.

Team Savage

I went with a Weaver 20moa base and Burris Extreme 30mm medium rings when I mounted the Vortex HSLR 4 - 16 x 44 on my 12FV. I have enough clearance to use low rings should I decide to change in the future. If you've got a 44mm objective you should be able to use the low rings. If not, like PB says, it will depend which Crossfire you have.

I used the Weaver 2 pc. steel bases and the Warne medium rings. The 2 piece bases gives you a little more room loading the blind magazine. That extra half inch makes a difference.