Thread: which Savage rifle

Basic Member

which Savage rifle

Can you guys recommend a Savage bolt action rifle and caliber for accurate shooting at 50 to 300 yds ? Also a scope ?

Well, there's a few more pieces of info that we would need in order to recommend anything specific. Most all Savages are pretty accurate right out of the box. A lot of us ted to want to improve them a bit and customize them to our liking...

My go to suggestion as of late is to look at the Savage 12FV from Cabelas. It's the best bang for your buck in my opinion and can also be a great action to build from if you ever decide to tinker with it. As far as caliber goes that would be up to you to get the appropriate caliber for what you intend on shooting with it.

6.5 Creedmoor is a good all around caliber for hunting anything up to an Elk with the right bullet selection. If you're just going to be shooting targets, then I'd look at a .223 or 22-250.... Optics are a little trickier so would need to know what you are intending on using it for to narrow it down a little, but pretty much any of them would be good out to 300 yards.

Basic Member
    If it was me looking to shoot out to 300 max, I think a 22-250 would be my choice.... but IMO a 6.5 Creedmoor is better for a wider variety of target shooting if you plan to go out to 1000-1200 yards.

For shooting groups, then magnification is your friend. If you are shooting steel, then I would look for a 3-15 or 4-16, since there really isn't a reason to go higher. I personally like the Burris XTR2, but if that is out of the price range, then the Athalon Argos BTR or SWFA SS fixed 10 are great in the 300-400 range.

Basic Member
    As far as the rifle its self goes...

Cheap- 12 FV on sale is often at or under $320 and mine have been super accurate, but have no drop box mag, and not so great of stock. I got one for $320 and another $100 Mail in Rebate. The stock is not great, but better than an axis stock by a large margin.. I don't feel the need to swap mine out right now, but it will be the first thing that gets changed when the mood strikes, since the trigger is nice and mine shoots under 1/2 inch groups most of the time.

Medium cheap- The 10T can be had pretty often on sale for under $500. It has a nice trigger, an accustock, and is overall a better gun than the 12FV, but if you want to swap out the stock (not necessary IMO) it has a bottom bolt release.... that is my one and only real gripe about the gun.

under $1000- The LRP is the best gun Savage has for under $1000. Red Target trigger (that comes factory at 6 ounces), HS Precision stock, 26 inch heavy barrel.... it is an amazing gun with custom accuracy in a factory gun. mine is under 1/2 inch and my brother who is a much better shot can stack rounds like crazy. He uses one for his PRS gun, and does pretty well. The only issue is that you have to clean the trigger really often or you will be recocking the bolt often, because it trigger is set so light.... keep it clean and problem isn't there.

More than $1000... Go custom.

If You reload, a 6br like the LRPV and a Nightforce SHV 5-20-56 like the C535

If not an LRP in 6.5CM with the same or similar scope.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the replies, Here is a little more info.
    Yes I do reload my own ammo. This rifle would be 95% target use with maybe 5% chuck hunting. Range of 50 to 300 yds with an occasional trip to a 1000 yd range

Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    Yes I do reload my own ammo. This rifle would be 95% target use with maybe 5% chuck hunting. Range of 50 to 300 yds with an occasional trip to a 1000 yd range
    go with the 6.5 Creed or .260 Remington (I went with the .260) then, as you are a reloader and you plan to target shoot and chucks (tough little buggers) and a trip to 1000 yards is well within its capabilities. As for glass I've heard good things about the Athlon Argos 6-24x50 (in the $350 range) or the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 ($1000+) if you want to upgrade to the Mid level target scopes. I'm a little biased toward the Sightron as I have one and It is the bomb.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    go with the 6.5 Creed or .260 Remington (I went with the .260) then, as you are a reloader and you plan to target shoot and chucks (tough little buggers) and a trip to 1000 yards is well within its capabilities. As for glass I've heard good things about the Athlon Argos 6-24x50 (in the $350 range) or the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 ($1000+) if you want to upgrade to the Mid level target scopes. I'm a little biased toward the Sightron as I have one and It is the bomb.

The 6.5 CM would be my choice, too. Although, I really like the 280 Ackley, too. The 280 gives a little broader range of critters you could take. But, with expense of sharper recoil, as well as more expensive ammo. The 6.5CM really is a nice shooter.

Scope wise: I have 4 FFP Athlons on everything from .22LR's to 300WM's and have 0 complaints. $ 4 $, nothing else out there will touch them, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by A&8's View Post
    Scope wise: I have 4 FFP Athlons on everything from .22LR's to 300WM's and have 0 complaints. $ 4 $, nothing else out there will touch them, IMO.
    A&8's

looking at an Argos for my Dad as a possible long range scope... Can you tell me how the tracking is on those scopes as well as clarity (say compared to a Leupold for example). How may MOA do they have on the elevation and windage turrets?

Basic Member
    A&8's

looking at an Argos for my Dad as a possible long range scope... Can you tell me how the tracking is on those scopes as well as clarity (say compared to a Leupold for example). How may MOA do they have on the elevation and windage turrets?

It boxes and tall target tests dead on. Compared to my VX3ii or old MK4, clarity is equal....maybe a touch less than the MK4, but my 47 year old eyes can't hardly tell.

60MOA adjustment on W & E.

I like them well enough, I've decided to become a stocking dealer, in my retail shop. They're just a really good, intermediate price point scope.

For this It makes the creed even more viable. If you enjoy your reloading maybe even the 6.5x47. The 6.5 is a lot of lead for a chuck. The Dasher is also a consideration with brass now available. Im still with the 6 br.

I agree with Sage on the middle of the road Sightron SIII. Great value. It does not compete with an NXS or even a Cronus BTR but is not giving up a whole lot to the SHV as far as glass is concerned.

Your budget dictates the relevance of suggestions. The platform is important unless you are building from the ground up.

The 280 AI.....May not fit the OPs needs but ooohh man!!!

Basic Member
    A&8's

*Edit* - looks like I missed A&8s reply, I'll leave my comment but I think he covers it all pretty well.

I have a couple of the Argos 6-24x50s, one on my AR and one on my Rem 722 trainer. Tracking seems to be in line with my Vortex Viper HST, you will want to check for a mushy turret, but there is a pretty simple way to fix that by some searching online (I believe just removing factory grease, I have not done mine). However, most of the new Athlons have been fixed by the company before being shipped it seems and not as much of a complaint.

Glass clarity is great for the price of the scope. Some say in line with Vortex Viper line glass, although personally owning both I would give the nod to Vortex. The Athlons do however have better glass than anything I've seen in the price range.

Elevation/Windage is 18 mil and 18 mil or 60 MOA and 60 MOA. I've read somewhere that some are getting a little over the stated values. Let me know if you have any other questions about the Argos.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I agree with Sage on the middle of the road Sightron SIII. Great value. It does not compete with an NXS or even a Cronus BTR but is not giving up a whole lot to the SHV as far as glass is concerned.
    Robinhood,

For what its worth from my experience, I find that the SIII is on par with the NXS as far as glass clarity, as I did take a look thru one just to verify what others had said. Now I do agree that it lacks some of the features the NF scopes have for sure.

With the new zero stop offered for the SIII as well as the upgraded turret caps for elevation and windage, I find that it narrows the gap between the NXS line now, IMO... Not to mention the SIII is available in FFP. Durability I'm sure still goes to the NF line though.... as I'd never want to bang, drop, drag my Sightron the way the military dudes abuse those NF Scopes... :-)

AHC222,

Thanks for your review on the Argos also, I appreciate it...

Might try out http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25LV in any of the available calibers except .22 I used to have a Savage 14 American Classic in .243 - wish I'd never turned it lose. I'm a vx-2 vx-3 guy as far as scopes go.

SageRatShooter, My response was not to argue but to offer a different opinion based on my experience. I guess some of the two manufacturers glass can vary in quality enough to overlap. My SIII is good glass compared to a lot of scopes but sitting side by side and shooting from 300 - 1000 the Sightron was left wanting against the NXS, the ATACR and a Khales. I have heard that repeated by many at our range during competition by NRA and TSRA F/Class shooters. I consider it to be good enough for that type work and I am glad your Sightron excels. I respect your opinion but after seeing it many times over with my own eyes, my opinion differs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    SageRatShooter, My response was not to argue but to offer a different opinion based on my experience. I guess some of the two manufacturers glass can vary in quality enough to overlap. My SIII is good glass compared to a lot of scopes but sitting side by side and shooting from 300 - 1000 the Sightron was left wanting against the NXS, the ATACR and a Khales. I have heard that repeated by many at our range during competition by NRA and TSRA F/Class shooters. I consider it to be good enough for that type work and I am glad your Sightron excels. I respect your opinion but after seeing it many times over with my own eyes, my opinion differs.
    Fair enough man... was just saying that the SIII and the NXS line where pretty close as far as clarity... I would think that the ATACR or Khales would far surpass the SIII but I have no idea on those, as I've not looked thru one.

Wasn't trying to argue either... was just trying to say that Sightron closed the gap a little bit.... I do understand that different eyes like different glass... some think that the Vortex PST is clearer than the Sightron SIII...

Im not sure either. As I get older I noticed that I need a lot more light to see. I have to light up the menu with my phone in most restaurants...ha.

When I look at objects at a distance with any optics, I look at ability to focus, clarity, clean and clear all the way at the edges(no CA) and what really stands out after a day of distance shooting is eye relief and eye box exit pupil yada yada. If your eyes are tired it makes for a long day. The SIII is no slouch in any of those catorgories. No experience with Vortex except for the Razor.

That combination strongly suggests the 6mm Creedmoor.

You can use any 6mm bullet from the lightest to the heaviest. The lighter bullets will take care of paper and chucks just fine.

The 110 -115 gr pills now on the market will approach the wind wind=bucking ability of the 6.5 Creedmoor with less recoil.

Recoil may not be a factor if one is shooting just a few shots in a session, but managing recoil induces fatigue. The more recoil, the greater the fatigue factor and more opportunities for blown shots.

Basic Member
    I shoot targets only.

Until you mentioned 1000yd I would have said .223. Good accuracy, cheap to shoot and great barrel life. That is what I picked for my Axis, with a heavy barrel. It has been extremely accurate to 300yd. If I read wind right it is good to 600yd. 22-250 is good but will suffer from short barrel life.

But, I have a 1000yd range near me so I wanted something more. I picked a .308 for a number of reasons but 6.5CM or .260 Rem would be decent choices (6.5 if you need to work from magazines). You probably don't want to go to magnums so the only others I'd consider are the .270, 7-08, 7x57, etc.

Forgot. The rifle. The Axis II heavy barrel I got has been great. Less than MOA if I do my part. Came with a cheap 4-12 Bushnell which has been fine for the range at ranges to 600m. The tracking has a little play in it but I can work with it.

If you want to spend a little more, then the Cabela's 12FV is good and you can pick a better scope. If you do a lot of work beyond 300m you will appreciate a better scope. For budget I would pick a Falcon or SWFA. They have decent scopes in the $3-400 range. The others mentioned above are good too. My long range rifle has a Vortex PST, but, again, it is on the expensive side for casual use.

Basic Member
    I happened upon a deal from a guy at our club, it is a Leupold vari-x III 4.5-14 x40mm with fine duplex. I bought it for $200.00 barely used looks like brand new and came with Butler Creek lens covers. Now I have $800 left in my budget for a rifle.
    Is it true that 6.5 creedmoor has a short barrel life, I have read that between 800 and 1200 rounds it starts to loose accuracy

Basic Member
    Is it true that 6.5 creedmoor has a short barrel life, I have read that between 800 and 1200 rounds it starts to loose accuracy
    No. Even if you run the 6.5 Creedmore hot it will still get very close to 3k rounds in a barrel. The 6.5x.284 on the other hand may only get half that.

Basic Member
    will a savage 223 with 14 twist shoot 55 gr bullets accurately ? I am thinking about the model 25-T thumb hole laminated stock

will a savage 223 with 14 twist shoot 55 gr bullets accurately ? I am thinking about the model 25-T thumb hole laminated stock
    1 in 14 twist is good for 50 grainers, but you gotta shoot them fast to keep them stable. for 55 grainers you should go with a 12 twist at the minimum. I shoot the 55's and I have a 9 twist.

Basic Member
    It is crazy how much glass can differ from unit to unit. I have three Burris XTR2's, and they range from spectacular on my very first one, to adequate on my second one to very good on my third. None are bad, but the difference between adequate to spectacular has to be seen to be believed.