Thread: Want to spoil my '85 110E short action

Basic Member

Want to spoil my '85 110E short action

Need some advice. I'd like to have a larger diameter bolt body fitted and the action trued and timed. Right now she has some bolt binding during ejection. Primary extraction is excellent, no issues there, but pulling the bolt back she sometimes binds right at the start. It seems that the bolt body is too small. Not 98 Mauser loose, but loose enough to cant and bind up.
    The bolt baffle doesn't have the guide rib so it can bind on the receiver bridge. Figure a bevel on both would correct it.
    I hear the bolt body can be a diy, but it can mess up primary extraction if done wrong. Rather have someone experienced tackle it. The t&t might be not exactly necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. She's a good rifle, but a little spiff would be nice. Recommendations appreciated.

I'll be watching this thread closely. Yesterday I picked up a long action 110E in 30-06. The previous owner took excellent care of it. The metal looks like the riffle was built yesterday, no wear to the bluing at all. Barrel has iron sights with the rear being a good Williams fully adjustable ramp base. The stock has definitely been refinished but needs quite a bit of rubbing out to smooth it up. Bore looks like it's never had a round through it. Got the rifle at a LGS for $250 out the door. The bolt on mine felt sluggish when operating it but it turned out it was dry and just needed to be lubed. I have excellent results with Mobile 1 15-50 weight in the bolt race ways., it pretty much stays where you put it.

If you don't mind a long wait, contact Sharp Shooter Supply for the work. Fred's work is excellent. He's also a forum member.

I wouldn't recommend going to a larger diameter bold body as doing so negates the function and purpose of the floating bolt head design. Everyone wants to try and apply Remington technology to a Savage thinking what fixes one will fix the other, but it just doesn't work that way as they're two totally different animals. The Savage was intentionally designed to be sloppy, and the more of that slop you try to take out the more headaches you're going to create for yourself.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    ^^^^ +1

I think it is binding because you don't have the "tag" or "guide rib" in the front bolt baffle. I can send you one no charge to test if you like. If it works, you should double-check the headspace when done.