Thread: Shooting to high

Shooting to high

Hi,

I have a 99 Savage in 250-3000. It has a Lyman tang sight on it and at its lowest setting it shoots way too high. Do I have to replace the front sight or raise it. How can I correct this.
    Thank you

Basic Member
    Probably need a taller front sight, a little goes a long way! This was a common problem with old milsurps, most were zeroed for 250yards+. Taller front sight cures that.

Basic Member
    When you shoot a tang sight on a 99, you'll need to get a higher front sight, judging by what I see. I'm not a fan myself.

Be careful tapping front sights out of a dovetail if it's on a raised ramp that isn't integral to the barrel (is instead added on) Some were soldered on and can pop off. Stop progress and order a front sight pusher, nifty device worth the wait You'll feel like a pro the first time you effortlessly slide a sight out.

Thank guys, just ordered and received 2 different sight from Brownells, but could'n install them because they are too wide about .010MM to .015MM wider. Sent an email to Brownells and waiting to see what they suggest.

Before swapping sights, check to see just how high the impacts are. I use the 6 O’Clock hold on pistol shooting and found that having the target visible makes a big difference in precise aiming.

So, if the impact is a few inches high at 100 yards, put the rabbit on top of the post. Similarly, put the top of of the post 1/3 of the way up a deer’s chest, etc.

Your personal calibration will of course depend on the game and ranges you plan to hunt.