Thread: BMags hugging the left stock

Basic Member

BMags hugging the left stock

Has anyone figured out why all (most) Bmags like to hug the left side of the stock? I've had several new ones come thru my retail shop recently (6 in the past 3 months) and every single one touches the left side of the fore end. I've restocked a couple with Boyd's stocks....same thing, although not as bad, but still 'dangerously' close to touching (too close IMO, so I have relieved them before giving them back to the customer)). I've even seen guys on youtube who have bedded their boyds or factory stock. During the initial bedding process, the barrel was centered. But after they dried and torqued, they drifted to the left.

I haven't done much hands on research on this, but I intend to. Something has to be the culprit...be it action studs on true, or 'something.' Having 4 new Bmags on my retail shelf, I have a few candidates to do some measuring.

I also intend on putting one of the new ones in my personal collection, so I'll have one to tinker with. I'm a 'rabbit hole diver', so I WILL get to the bottom (or close, lol) of this...come hell or high water! lol

Basic Member
    As I have stated before, I have an expensive Tikka that does the same thing....

Any progress over the last 3 months finding the cause or finding the high water?

Could be as simple as how the polymer stocks are racked/stored between production and assembly that's causing them to bow a little.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I found a few threads that seemed to indicate that the stock was straight when removed from the action. It seems logical that it's a stock problem.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_a View Post
    Any progress over the last 3 months finding the cause or finding the high water?

Nope!

I did, however, decide to put one of the B-Mags in my personal collection. I bedded the action and centered the barrel during the cure. I bedded approx 2" in front of the "recoil lugs," if you want to call them a recoil lug. Afterwards, it remained centered. I did group the gun before and after the bed. Group shrunk from a hair under 1moa to a hair over 1/2 moa(.567" to be exact).

Here's a pic before I cleaned up the bedding.

One showing a centered barrel

Group after bedding