Thread: 6mmbr norma

6mmbr norma

Currently have a savage axis 243 heavy barrel and I'm looking to make the jump to 6mmbr norma. I've been doing some research on this cartridge and to this point I'm just confused. I see both 6mmbr rem and 6mmbr norma dies available. Almost every body talks that norma took over the design from Remington and main streamed the cartridge. But when looking at dies it seems that the vast majority of die makers are making 6mmbr rem dies. I plan to have the barrel cut in 6mmbr norma due to the fact that is the only new brass you can find. I understand that when norma took it over they made the throat longer to accommodate heavier pills, But the real question I have is will 6mmbr rem dies work? More specifically theis dies

https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/54643...mm-rem-br.html

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's not really a case of one "taking over" for the other. Before the wildcat was standardized there were variations of a 6mm based on the .308 x 1-1/2" cartridge (I think Barnes started the ball).

Where you would notice the difference is that Norma used VLD bullets in their version so the throat may be different (longer). The cases are pretty much identical and the dies would be.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Thanks I had asked on another platform and we had arrived to the same conclusion I'll most likely be getting the hornady dies

Basic Member
    The RCBS Gold Medal dies are only a few dollars more (if you include the cost of the Hornaday micrometer seater option) and much better. If you get the Hornaday, be sure to get the 1.5mm decapping pin too, otherwise you'll ruin your brass the first time you cycle it through the dies.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    The RCBS Gold Medal dies are only a few dollars more (if you include the cost of the Hornaday micrometer seater option) and much better. If you get the Hornaday, be sure to get the 1.5mm decapping pin too, otherwise you'll ruin your brass the first time you cycle it through the dies.
    Thanks I've had to turn down depriming pins before on my 308 because I'm using Peterson small primer brass