Thread: Stock recommnedations for a left-hand Axis needed

Basic Member

Stock recommendations for a left-hand Axis needed

I am going to swap the light .223 Rem. barrel for a threaded 'medium sporter' barrel.

My first thought is to relieve the existing stock's barrel channel.

On the chance that it doesn't work (i.e., I screw it up), who makes a decent stock for this left-hand actions?

I'd prefer synthetic but wood consider wood (or laminated wood) stocks.

Basic Member
    I’ve heard Boyd’s makes a good laminate & wood stock. I’ll be getting one for my lefty Axis 270. Not sure about synthetic options though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Stockade would be the only outfit I know of that MIGHT make an aftermarket synthetic stock for the Axis. If they don't you're stuck with wood - either Boyds or SSS.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Here is my Axis in .223 in a left handed Boyd's thumbhole stock:

Boyds is going to be your cheapest and best option while still being a solid platform.

I have Boyd on my Axis 270, and asked them some questions, here there reply, hope it helps you when ordering your stock:
    You will need to go by the caliber to make sure you select the correct action.

Long Action
    7mm, 25-06, 30-06, 270

Short Action
    22-250, 223, 308, 243, 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08

Also you can select a 13 1/3" LOP. Our standard is at 13 3/4". You can select an upgraded recoil pad if you are looking for something softer. The 1/2" we offer as standard is a firmer rubber.

Basic Member
    How heavy are these Boyd's laminates? I know your thumbhole stocks will weigh more than the classic-style stock I want, but it will me some idea.

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeS View Post
    How heavy are these Boyd's laminates? I know your thumbhole stocks will weigh more than the classic-style stock I want, but it will me some idea.

thanks,
    Roughly weigh in @ 3 lbs... If you add actual bottom metal rather than the plastic stuff it will add another half pound or so... I have 2 of them... the Prairie hunter for my Axis 22-250 is 2.8 lbs. and my Pro varmint was 3 lbs... but as I said, I added the actual bottom metal for wood stocks which brought it up a bit.

Take a look at the "featherweight Thumbhole" it supposedly weighs in between 2 and 2.5 lbs....

Basic Member
    Thank you. It is something to consider as this will not be a benchrest or prairie-dog rifle.

I couldn't find the weight specs on the Boyd's web site.

Have both a Boyds lefty lightweight thumbhole and and Boyds lefty At-1. The thumbhole is lighter but the At-1 is very adjustable if you have short arms. The thumbhole I got with a shorter LOP. Both are quite thick in the wrist if you have short fingers. Happy with both but they are laminate.

Basic Member
    Does no one have a "classic"?

The Classic is virtually identical to the Prairie Hunter... The difference being in the comb... The PH comb drops as you get closer to the scope.

Basic Member
    Alright, I'll rephrase.

Has anyone installed a left-hand Axis stock that is NOT a thumbhole or AT-One model?

Yes I have... I built my Axis 22-250 using the Prairie hunter Stock.

Basic Member
    How much did it weigh (If you weighed the stock) prior to installation? Any issues with the inletting?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeS View Post
    How much did it weigh (If you weighed the stock) prior to installation? Any issues with the inletting?
    The Prairie Hunter weighed 2.8 lbs. I ordered it with the "factory barrel channel" which inlet for a standard savage sporter barrel. I had to open the barrel channel a little bit to get my CBI heavy sporter to fit. Other than that it was a "drop in" stock.

I will say though, I suggest pillar bedding the action screws, as I had to do that later down the road, as well as glass bedding the action. I developed a lateral movement in mine after about 500 rounds or 6 months after I got it. I'm a perfectionist though and I want every bullet in the same hole especially on a prairie dog gun.... Haven't ever really achieved it, but I try to ring out every bit of accuracy/precision that i can out of both my builds. Also, if you're going to use it for hunting, make sure to get some kind of checkering or stippling on it, as the Boyds stocks are very slippery when they get wet.

Hope that helps you find what you're looking for,

Basic Member
    Thank you! A test-fit shows that the new barrel won't require much material removal to fit in the original stock, so once I swap the barrels, I'll try that first.

I'm converting it to .300 BLK with a threaded barrel. While I have three other firearms in .300 BLK, none are bolt-actions.

I did that to my original POS plastic stock. It worked ok, but my accuracy went to Poo when I'd try to shoot off bags or a bipod as the flex in the stock would touch the barrel under recoil. But if it's going to be a carry gun for the most part, it should work just fine.

Sounds like a sweet build... Good luck to you.

Basic Member
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

I want to use this with subsonic loads only from box blinds & spot-and-stalk.

Basic Member
    Hey, if you mess up the stock badly and want a replacement factory original, let me know. I'm being tempted to get a Boyd's or similar and could send you my original. However, as I'm about to post, there's an offset to it that I haven't figured out.

Basic Member
    Thank you, I will keep that in mind.