Thread: Clambering a round

Basic Member

Clambering a round

New to bolt-action rifles so bear with me...

I’ve got a new Axis 270win with less than 60rds through it but I’ve noticed that when i chamber a round, the bolt doesn’t always get behind the cartridge to push it into the chamber. At first, it was operator error; I wasn’t pulling the bolt back far enough. But now, every once in a while, the round seems to be sitting too far back in the magazine. Just yesterday I had to stick my finger in there to push it forward a lil bit to allow the bolt to do the rest... Is this a magazine issue?

To break the gun in, I’ve shot Winchester, Remington, Federal, & Monarch and had only 3 or 4 rounds that wouldn’t chamber the first time

Thanks for any info you might have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Basic Member
    Sounds like a magazine issue. You may need to open up the feed lips a hair so the round sits a bit higher in the mag.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Sounds like a magazine issue. You may need to open up the feed lips a hair so the round sits a bit higher in the mag.
    Thanks! I was thinking about pushing the back wall (rear magazine lip) forward a little bit but I’ll re-examine it & give your suggestion a try first. I’m a lil afraid to do this though, those little magazines are expensive!

Jason

Basic Member
    Flip the front baffle over so the short side is to the right.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    A little bit of research & I see that you’ve answered this question before (found something from 2011 and you gave the same response). Thanks

Jason

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post

Alright, here’s something that I find interesting. You may or may not be surprised

I flipped the front baffle over, short side on the right-hand side of the bolt/rifle. I’m a lefty though, so the extractor is on the left-hand side of the bolt. My problem was created when I looked through the Axis manual & it said to align the short side of the baffle with the extractor (assuming it was a right-handed model, which it never specified). Either way, short side of baffle is to the right, extractor to the left & the darn thing cycles like a dream. Problem solved, thank you so much!

Jason

Basic Member
    The bolt release and the bolt stop is on the right side of the receiver, no matter if it's right or left handed.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I thought it was just me, having the same problem has the first post, with problems getting the second round into the chamber after firing.
    I also own Axis 270 Win.
    I don't think it's the bolt, when a jam occurs I have to stick finger into the magazine to position the next round properly.
    Next week at the range, going to tweak the mag.

Basic Member
    I have only shot my Axis at the range loading each shot one at a time so I'll have to try this and see what happens. I like to shot offhand but found that if I cycle the bolt palming under the mag the bolt does drag on it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
    I thought it was just me, having the same problem has the first post, with problems getting the second round into the chamber after firing.
    I also own Axis 270 Win.
    I don't think it's the bolt, when a jam occurs I have to stick finger into the magazine to position the next round properly.
    Next week at the range, going to tweak the mag.
    Did you get your problem fixed? What was the issue?

Jason