Thread: B22 synthetic 22LR

Basic Member

B22 synthetic 22LR

Hello
    Finally picked up a B22 for my son.
    The rifle overall is a nice upgrade over their older model.
    The accu trigger works great, no issues, I stressed to my boy to squeeze straight back, no side pressure, to avoid dry/miss fires, my b mag is touchy in this regard.
    The rotary mag is a GAINT improvement over the old mags in appearence, comfort, and when shooting off of bags.
    No issues loading them, I have a B mag so that may have helped me, but the boy can load a mag very well, after the 1st time struggling, I showed him how to push the rim in, then roll with a little hook, now, no issues.
    Shooting with open sights and laying prone off sand bags at 35 yards
    I shot the 1st three rounds into a qaurter size group, 2 touching, then he shot the remaining 47 into a couple of 2 to 3 inch groups, with the majority clustered in 1 1/2 inch group.
    Not bad for a 12 year old.
    The bolt was a little tough for him, but that should slick up in time as the parts wear together.
    The safety was real tough for him, 12 year olds thumbs are not overly strong, but he took the time and got it done, and done safely.
    Never took the stock off, so can't report on that or the innerds.
    We compared this rifle to the Ruger American bolt action.
    The Savage won out because of 2 things, it was lighter, and the fit of the stock to my son, and even myself was way more comfortable to us.
    I have a Redfield 4x scope that we need to install, then some shooting should tell us a little more.
    I am 6 ft 2 in 180 and have shot since his age or sooner.
    Zippy is 5ft 3 inches 75 pounds, and has been shooting pellet guns, my 22,s and his youth muzzle loader for the last 3 years.
    He and myself have long skinny arms, so it seems the fit of guns he likes, I like.

We/I really wanted to see, hold and compare a wood stocked B22 to the other 2, but no one seems to have any in stock.
    Cabelas, Scheels, and 2 different guns shows, none to be held and looked at.
    Oh well, sooner or later we will get to check one out.
    Just thought I would post this for who ever might be trying to figure out what tother get.
    Good luck
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Glad to hear you like the new B22 and that it's a shooter. I've been rather surprised at how few have purchased one and how little discussion there has been about the new B-Series rifles. I guess everyone's just content with their older Mark I/II/93's and/or are still buying them because they're a little cheaper than the new B-series models. Really surprised me that Savage chose to keep making both after the first year of the B's.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	4953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	4952

So I finally got a scope on my son's B22, an old Redfield 4x, Nice scope.
    Set up some sand bags on a picnic table and shot at only 30 yards.
    Using CCI Blazer 40 grn lead, shot a decent quarter size group.
    It seems to be a shooter, I want to try again out a 50 yards with a clean barrel, cooler temps, less bugs and more time.
    I am really impressed with this rifle, I really, really like the stock and the grip, palm area behind trigger, it feels real nice, and I would suggest to Savage, how about using this same grip in your Centerfire110 line ?
    Now,if I could just pick up and feel a wood stocked 22 mag, and compare it too the synthetic stocked version.
    Also, my son loaded the 10 round rotary mag numerous times, no issues.
    Wabbits, tree rats look out !
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Looking good!

I'm still waiting to see a wood stocked LH B-Series rifle. Not holding my breath though, we lefties never get the good stuff. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain