Thread: Winchester Chassis

Basic Member

Winchester Chassis

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum, but I need help. I have a Winchester M70 Coyote Light it 243. I wasn't all I really expected and now am considering converting it over to a chassis rifle. I know MDT offers a short action but don't offer much information Do I have to use one of there butt stocks, or can I screw an AR-15 tube into it and use my Magpul PRS? Also, Will I have to get the short piccatiny rail to mount a bipod?

Thanks for any information.

Kansan

Basic Member
    Hi Kansan,

I am assuming you are looking at the MDT ESS chassis. This chassis was designed to use its own buttstock for optimal ergonomics.
    All other MDT chassis accept AR15 buttstocks.
    That being said, there is a small adapter that you can mount to the ESS to convert it to an AR tube interface.

As for the Picatinny rail, that depends on the bipod you choose. A Harris bipod can be mounted to the sling stud. But if you want a rail mounted bipod such as the Harris, yes you can mount an M-LOK Picatinny rail to the bottom of the forend.

Hope that helps! Feel free to contact MDT support anytime!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply.

Kansas

Basic Member
    Question: If i use a FN (Portugal) CRF 243 for the base, will I need to modify the receiver (note on page says possibly the extractor)?

Thanks,

Kansan

Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    Question: If i use a FN (Portugal) CRF 243 for the base, will I need to modify the receiver (note on page says possibly the extractor)?

Thanks,

Kansan
    Hi Kansan,

It's hard to tell if you would need to make any modification without fitting it up. There were some changes we have come across with the CRF's. Basically the ejector can be fairly thick and sick down into the mag well which interferes with the mag seating. If this is the case you would just need to either remove a little material from the ejector so the mag can get up and in, or just notch that part of the mag.

I hope this helps, if you need further help please reach out to us at MDT directly and we'll be happy to take care of you.

Ryan H