Thread: Re-barrel: DIY or pay a 'Smith $150?

Basic Member

Re-barrel: DIY or pay a 'Smith $150?

Working on a Savage 12 FCV in 223.

Although I've never done it before, setting the headspace appears to be pretty straightforward, but,,, I have no tools.

If I'm assuming correctly, the tools I'd need would be the gauges, a barrel vise, and a nut wrench.

Appears that the tools would cost ~about~ the same as the 'Smith fee,,,

Not really interested (right now) in changing caliber's or performing barrel swaps 'down the road' , but 'never say never',,,

Which way would you go?

Basic Member
    Only use a Gunsmith if you're having the barrel shouldered and getting rid of the nut. If not getting rid of the nut it's a 10-20min job once you get accustom to doing it. Totally worth it to understand what's actually going on when installing a barrel as well! Let us know if you have any questions about the process.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of barrel swaps in the future I'd forgo buying the tools and just pay the smith. Also, let the smith know it's a Savage with the nut, and not a shouldered barrel - $150 seems a little steep to me. $50-100 would be more reasonable IMO since he doesn't have to do any machining.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Only use a Gunsmith if you're having the barrel shouldered and getting rid of the nut. If not getting rid of the nut it's a 10-20min job once you get accustom to doing it. Totally worth it to understand what's actually going on when installing a barrel as well! Let us know if you have any questions about the process.
    No shouldering involved with this project, and it's about 'as simple as it gets' as far as barrel replacement goes,,,

I currently have a smooth barrel nut, and understand that a pipe wrench is probably the best way to loosen it.

Currently looking at a barrel vice on Amazon for about $80. Several reviews indicate it works just fine with Savage barrel replacements,,,

Perhaps 70 - 80 for a set of go - no go,,,

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    If you don't plan on doing a lot of barrel swaps in the future I'd forgo buying the tools and just pay the smith. Also, let the smith know it's a Savage with the nut, and not a shouldered barrel - $150 seems a little steep to me. $50-100 would be more reasonable IMO since he doesn't have to do any machining.
    I agree 150 sounds a bit rich,,, Reportedly includes test firing and a 30 day warranty, but if done correctly, I'm not exactly sure why either would be required,,,

After reading your post, I contacted the 'Smith again, clarified 'no shouldered barrel,, Savage with a barrel nut and I'm providing barrel, recoil bracket and new nut",, He replied "Yep, $150,,,"

I live in Houston where one would think 'Smiths would be plentiful,,, Turns out many locations that advertise a 'Smith don't do much more than just cleaning, mounting scopes, etc. (NOT a 'Smith in my book!!!)

The other end of the spectrum I see a lot of is 'Classic Restorations' with pics of shotguns that most likely cost more than a couple dozen new 12 FCV's,,,

I have no real aversion to buying (and using!!!) tools,, other than the thought of never using them again,,,,

Someday I might want to re-caliber,, maybe,,, But in all honesty, I'm just diddle fartin around at a Public Range for accuracy at 100 yds now.,,, and 223 is more than adequate for that,,,

More pondering required,,,,

You can rent a set of head space gauges form many places online this will save you a lot in that department.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I used a 4'' vise mounted to a heavy desk, 3/4" plywood as soft jaws, little bit of temp from a heat gun. Worked well on a couple savage's. I now have a barrel vice made out of a heavy piece of truck frame, with a chunk of aluminum bolted to it(Remington was stubborn). I use my Hornady comparator and brass for my go gauge, multiple brands to verify. Obviously I like having the tools.

and you can make your own barrel vise from a couple blocks of wood and a bench vise.

Team Savage
    As stated above, a friend's/shop bench vice with smooth jaws will also work fine as an action wrench. I tape, or leather wrap the sides of the action and recoil lug. Clamp barreled action in vice with side of recoil lug resting against the vice jaw so that the action won't spin and get scratched by the vice. The cheap Wheeler slotted/smooth barrel nut wrench kit (Savage Barrel Nut Wrench Kit 123038 - $29) will do the job. Sometimes a pipe wrench is needed to remove a stubborn barrel nut. Then you'll also need to buy a new barrel nut. A set of Forster Go and No-Go gages are all you need to set the headspace to specifications. I usually find a cheap set of used headspace gages on Ebay.

Basic Member
    Never knew or thought of renting the gauges!

I already have a 5" bench vice, some plywood, and a heat gun,,,

Hmm,,,,,,,,

HMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

All of a sudden I feel like my search for a 'Smith has ENDED!!!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had mine changed by Smith. I watched as he did it and am sure I could repeat. The only difficulty was the original barrel just did not want to come out even though I treated with kroil the day before. The original barrel got scratched but I didn't want it anyway. He said 25 but I thought it worth 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Buy the stuff to do it. You don’t need a barrel vise. Action wrench and regular vise is good. I have both. Only use barrel vise for removing brakes off savages. It’s a one time purchase that you can use whenever

There may be help in your hood. Check your pm's

Basic Member
    $150 is a rip off. A barrel nut wrench, an action wrench and a go gage are not going to cost $150 and you will then have the tools for future use. If you do not want to buy the tools ask here if anyone with the tools and know how are near you and would do the job for you. I would do the job free if you showed up at my house. Too bad I am in East Tennessee.

Basic Member
    I don’t know. Anytime a gunsmith does work on a firearm he/she has to factor in the potential of wrecking something and being on the hook for replacement or repair. Stuff happens, even to the best of them.

If it’s a one time deal, I’d probably just pay. I’d agree that $150 might be on the high end but not totally unreasonable.