Thread: Finally made my trip

Basic Member

Finally made my trip

Last year I was loading my brand new travel trailer for a trip to Raton to do some shooting. Ended up having a heart attack and subsequent quad bypass. That kind of put a hold on the trip.

On the first of May I headed out to resume my trip. Here are some pictures from the range. Since the National Guard was using the other 1K ranges I spent a couple days shooting both my Savage custom 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Model 10 action and a custom .308 built on a Rem 700 on the Highpower Rifle Silhouette range. Had a ball shooting the chickens at 200 meters, Ram's at 500 meters, and of course, the white buffalo at 1025 Meters (1123 Yards).

The Range:

(the Rams are at the tree line and the buffalo is 625 meters beyond)

Buffalo is just above the top turret on the scope

A "close up" of the buffalo:

In the 6.5 Creedmoor I was shooting both 140 gr ELD-M's with IMR-4166 and 147 gr ELD-M's using IMR-4451. Both bullets made the trip and made numerous hits not only on the body of the buffalo but on the 16" round plate hanging out from the main body. Fun to be able to spot your own shots by just watching in the scope for the bullet splatter about 2 seconds after you send it. The sound takes a few more seconds to make it back to your ears. The 147gr ELD-M's were nice and consistent at all distances, but especially at the 1025 meter range even though there was a full value 10-12 mph wind blowing from the left.

The Savage started life as a model 10T and now rests in an MDT Tac-21 chassis with a 24" benchmark 6.5 Creedmoor, 1:8, 3-groove barrel, capped off with a Benchmark Tactical muzzle brake (with compensator port). It's topped with a Nightforce 12-42X56 NXS which despite the 80 degree temps wasn't all that bothered by mirage.

The Remington started as a 5-R Milspec but all that remains from that rifle is the action tube with serial number. PT&G Bolt, Timney CE Trigger, Benchmark 24" .308 barrel, 1:10 twist, and only 2 grooves, again with a Benchmark Tactical Muzzle Brake with compensator port.

I was shooting Federal Premium ammo loaded with Berger 185 Juggernauts. They too performed well in the wind. The first shot at the buffalo nicked the top of the main body plate and from there it was all hits with 7 out of 10 being on the aim point plate which not only wiggled when hit, send a nice distinctive ring back to my ears.

I shot for two days until I ran out of ammo and I brought a lot.

Oh yeah, I brought back "the hat"

In closing, I'm 8 months past the bypass surgery and all seems to be well. Not only are all the places they cut healed, I think my shooting has even improved. Regardless I definitely feel better and may have another 25 years left

Nice write up and pics, enjoyable read. Good shooting and best wishes for continued good health.
    Mike

Great account of a good time at a historical range. Very glad to hear you survived your ordeal with the pumper.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Great account of a good time at a historical range. Very glad to hear you survived your ordeal with the pumper.

Everyone I've known who's had "CABG" (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft) surgery has had the same thing to say after they heal. They feel better than they have in a long time. I have to agree. Not only do I have more energy than I had over the last 10 years or so, I've lost a lot of weight (like 35#). I now weigh the same as when I said good bye to active duty in the army back in 1967. At that point in time I was in the best physical condition in my life. At least I'm back at the same weight. Need to work on the "Daily Dozen" to see if I can at least get where I can at do the "Daily Three"

"Raton" is definitely on my "repeat trip" list. Right now things are a little hot with fires closing the access highway but maybe a fall or early spring trip. I enjoy cold weather much more than hot.

Basic Member
    Nice job all way around. Especially with the recovery. So now your an official member of the zipper club, but no hat. lol
    Whats the elevation of the range? And how does the air quality as for seeing hits compare to where you live?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Nice job all way around. Especially with the recovery. So now your an official member of the zipper club, but no hat. lol
    Whats the elevation of the range? And how does the air quality as for seeing hits compare to where you live?

New techniques don't leave the traditional zipper scar. Just one clean line down the middle which has healed well. Only thing you can see is a thin white line. They split the sternum with a saw and then put it back together with wire that is all hidden beneath the surface and the skin sewn up with "hidden" sutures. Even the incisions on my arms where they harvested an artery from each have healed to the point where I have to look hard to find them.

As for the range elevation, my phone altimeter at the HP Rifle Silhouette range read just over 6800 ft. Range is 6300 to over 7,000 depending on which part you are shooting on. There are over a dozen different ranges on over 10,000 acres, the entire "Center" covering over 30,000 acres.

Air quality was superb. Both scopes I had with me were NightForce, one a 12-42X56 NXS and the other a 5-25X56 BEAST. The NXS was nice and clear but the BEAST was fantastic. Compared to where I live? No comparison. Most days at my home range the air gives the impression one is looking through a glass of water with a few drops of milk added to cloud it up a little.

The experience is hard to describe. Between the general scenery, air, and quality of range, shooting there was a great experience. A great place to test both your own skills but to also explore the capabilities of your rifle.

Back to the bypass, no I don't have a hat, but I do have a t-shirt. One that shows the heart with pipes and valves attached as if someone re-plumbed it with parts from Home Depot.

Basic Member
    That wire sometimes triggers things at airport security scans.
    Joint replacements can also. At some point you might cause the whole place to go on lock down. lol
    My father died at age 54 of artery blockages, he would have been 112 yesterday. His father was 49.
    Michael Debakey from Houston, was one of the pioneers of that procedure, certainly one of the best known.
    I had several friends go down there to him in the early 70s.

Anyway, I knew the answer about air quality, but some don't, so im glad you answered on that.
    Also the higher elevation gives a slight advantage for cartridge performance.
    All reasons why the ones shooting at the extreme distances, choose to go there.

Congratulations. Isn't life grand?.......perfect range for long distance. I prefer shooting distance in mountain valleys as opposed to ranges.

Basic Member
    Probably for the same reasons dart boards are hung on walls, rather than laid on floors Eddie?

Basic Member
    It's been a while but I had so much fun I'm going back. Plan on spending a week in October at Raton. Will be returning to home via the "Southern Route" which will take me across I-40 through Central NM, Northern AZ, and then various parts of California. Plan on "Camping" with the trailer along the way in any spot that looks good for some impromptu shooting. Maybe even a varmint or two.

Expect to be on the road for a month, maybe more. Who knows, may even run into some of the members here along the way.

Feeling better every day and am finding it hard to just hang around the house.

Basic Member
    Have you ever hunted prairie dogs Deadshot2?

Good to here you completed your trip and have returned your health!