Last year I was loading my brand new travel trailer for a trip to Raton to do some shooting. Ended up having a heart attack and subsequent quad bypass. That kind of put a hold on the trip.

On the first of May I headed out to resume my trip. Here are some pictures from the range. Since the National Guard was using the other 1K ranges I spent a couple days shooting both my Savage custom 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Model 10 action and a custom .308 built on a Rem 700 on the Highpower Rifle Silhouette range. Had a ball shooting the chickens at 200 meters, Ram's at 500 meters, and of course, the white buffalo at 1025 Meters (1123 Yards).

The Range:

(the Rams are at the tree line and the buffalo is 625 meters beyond)

Buffalo is just above the top turret on the scope

A "close up" of the buffalo:

In the 6.5 Creedmoor I was shooting both 140 gr ELD-M's with IMR-4166 and 147 gr ELD-M's using IMR-4451. Both bullets made the trip and made numerous hits not only on the body of the buffalo but on the 16" round plate hanging out from the main body. Fun to be able to spot your own shots by just watching in the scope for the bullet splatter about 2 seconds after you send it. The sound takes a few more seconds to make it back to your ears. The 147gr ELD-M's were nice and consistent at all distances, but especially at the 1025 meter range even though there was a full value 10-12 mph wind blowing from the left.

The Savage started life as a model 10T and now rests in an MDT Tac-21 chassis with a 24" benchmark 6.5 Creedmoor, 1:8, 3-groove barrel, capped off with a Benchmark Tactical muzzle brake (with compensator port). It's topped with a Nightforce 12-42X56 NXS which despite the 80 degree temps wasn't all that bothered by mirage.

The Remington started as a 5-R Milspec but all that remains from that rifle is the action tube with serial number. PT&G Bolt, Timney CE Trigger, Benchmark 24" .308 barrel, 1:10 twist, and only 2 grooves, again with a Benchmark Tactical Muzzle Brake with compensator port.

I was shooting Federal Premium ammo loaded with Berger 185 Juggernauts. They too performed well in the wind. The first shot at the buffalo nicked the top of the main body plate and from there it was all hits with 7 out of 10 being on the aim point plate which not only wiggled when hit, send a nice distinctive ring back to my ears.

I shot for two days until I ran out of ammo and I brought a lot.

Oh yeah, I brought back "the hat"

In closing, I'm 8 months past the bypass surgery and all seems to be well. Not only are all the places they cut healed, I think my shooting has even improved. Regardless I definitely feel better and may have another 25 years left