Thread: Base direction, Thick end foreward?

Deserthunter

Base direction, Thick end foreward?

I'd like to add a 20moa Farrel Base to my 12FLV...... I'm not straight on wheather the thick end of the mount goes to the front or the rear of the rifle? Seams to me the thick end should be mounted to the front, Correct?

Thanks,
    Desert

dcloco

Re: Base direction, Thick end foreward?

Towards the rear of the action.

The added height in the rear of the base adds 20 MOA. In effect, your scope is actually lower in the front than the rear, providing adjustment over a higher yardage/meter range.

Most scopes only have 40 MOA of usable adjustment. They may have more, but some of the internal scope adjustment is used to zero the scope on your action. So, you use up 20 MOA of adjustment to zero the scope, leaving only 20 MOA to dial up to varying distances.

With the 20 MOA base, your scope is now at the beginning or bottom of the 40 MOA of usable adjustment, therefore, you have 40 MOA of vertical adjustment in your scope.

Deserthunter

Any decent? For some reason, when I diagram the "base" out on a sheet of paper, (diagram of scope, base and rifle), I still see that the thick end of the base should be forward, which allows you to screw the adjustment "down" when zeroing. This allows the addition of the 20moa when reaching out to longer distances..... I guess I'm missing something.... Where is my logic bad? need help still......

Thanks
    Desert

dcloco

The top of your receiver is flat...from the front to the rear. Add the 20 MOA (thick) to the rear and you effectively raise the rear of your scope. Keeps the scope opticially centered when you zero the scope to this rifle and/or when you dial up to reach out longer distances.

Basic Member

Make two diagrams.
    1: Draw a line for your bore (bullet) and draw a line for your scope view (line of sight). Make them parallel.

2: Draw a line for your bore and draw a line for your scope with the back elevated (the line of sight will now cross the bore line).

Diagram 2 now shows that you bullet is shooting high (crosses your line of sight. To lower the strike of the bullet, you dial your scope DOWN.

This whole thing is to give you extra UP adjustment for long range shots.

Hope this helps.. rc

Deserthunter

You are indeed correct, Thanks.... Thick end to the "REAR" as per your replys and a reply from "Farrell Indus."
    (copy of email)
    "YES THE THICK SIDE MOUNTS TO THE REAR OF THE GUN. ANYMORE QUESTIONS JUST LET US KNOW. HAVE A GOOD DAY!!"
    SHANNON
    Thanks, I'm just thick headed....

Desert

BillPa

Its the same as the open sights, move the rear sight in the direction you want the POI to move. If you want the raise the POI you raise the rear and/or lower the front. Same with a scope and the 20 MOA mount, the thicker end on the rear to move the POI up.

Bill