Thread: oal question for a 223 axis

oal question for a 223 axis

The chamber is short. using a comparator and 52gr sierra bullet. the bullet touches the lands at 1.80" with an oal of 2.26".
    Has anyone ran into this ?
    Thanks Dave

Savage service replied today, that was fast
    Debra Roberts (Savage Arms, Inc)
    May 29, 2:10 PM EDT
    Hi Dave,
    We will need to have the firearm sent into our service department for evaluation and testing.

Please send the entire firearm to Savage Arms, 100 Springdale Rd, Westfield, MA 01085 atten service
    and we will test the firearm here. Please include a note with a brief description on the problem, along with your return address and phone number. Please remove any accessories before shipping.

Thank you
    Debbi

Basic Member
    I sent an Axis to them because the scope holes weren't right. When you send it, insure it and get a tracking number. Once they get it they will not be sending you an email to let you know they received it. The service dept is a bit of a black hole so once you know they have it give them at least a week before calling to check on the status.
    They also don't notify you when they send it back so it is good to periodically call so you know when to expect it.

Thanks that's good to know.
    Any one have AN AXIS IN 223 that has a short chamber?

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Yours is going to be closer to saami, or the second and third in your list. The Wylde is a combo of 223 case dimensions and nato freebore, I would like to get that in an ar15.

I just bought a 223 remington 700, Nato 55gr fmj rounds are jammed into the lands by .020", a lot.

On the other hand, my Stevens 200 in 223 has a ton of freebore, maybe burned out by the previous owner, or it came that way.

I think the chamber is ok. it shoots pretty good. test loads 52gr sierra, blc2, wsr primers by round 15 it tightened right up. groups were inside 1" with one group under 1/2"..
    I think I will keep it the way it is.
    I am use to loading longer oal . I have some Hornady match 68grs the bullet measures .990" long. with it seated to an oal of 2.26"
    thats about .440" inside the case. putting the base of the bullet well below the shoulder, I picked up a box of federal 69gr sierra bullets. the bullets measures .885" long. .100" shorter than the Hornady but still seated well below the shoulder.
    any comments appreciated.
    Thanks Dave

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Thanks that's good to know.
    Any one have AN AXIS IN 223 that has a short chamber?
    I do in 223rem heavy barrel axis 2.

I cannot seat any reload to book spec. 55gr V max needs 2.250 anything 2.235 and above is in the lands. I sent it back to savage for it not ejecting rounds and asked them to fix the throat and was told no because it may mess with accuracy.

Thanks, finally someone that has been through this.
    Thats the desideding factor for me. I will just keep it the way it is for now.
    All the loads in my manual are oal at 2.24 to 2.26" . the 80hpbt and the 75gr Amax are longer.
    Thanks Dave

Basic Member
    Also your required by law to tell FedEx, ups or whoever that it is a firearm. Savage has really good service.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Savage service replied today, that was fast
    Debra Roberts (Savage Arms, Inc)
    May 29, 2:10 PM EDT
    Hi Dave,
    We will need to have the firearm sent into our service department for evaluation and testing.

Please send the entire firearm to Savage Arms, 100 Springdale Rd, Westfield, MA 01085 atten service
    and we will test the firearm here. Please include a note with a brief description on the problem, along with your return address and phone number. Please remove any accessories before shipping.

Thank you
    Debbi
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohihunter2014 View Post
    I do in 223rem heavy barrel axis 2.

I cannot seat any reload to book spec. 55gr V max needs 2.250 anything 2.235 and above is in the lands. I sent it back to savage for it not ejecting rounds and asked them to fix the throat and was told no because it may mess with accuracy.
    I also have an Axis 2 .223 HB and recently loaded some Sierra 69gr to 2.255". I found some cases very difficult to eject so I assume mine has the same throat issue. Interestingly some Nosler 60gr BT's loaded to the same length ejected fine. When I unchamber any un fired round regardless of OAL there is a light circle mark left around the base of the bullet about 1/8" above the case mouth. I assume this because it has a tight throat?

Both the Nosler 60 gr BT and Sierra 69gr Match kings shoot extremely well. The two best I have found so far.

Basic Member
    Sounds more like over pressure. Could be wrong but I have extensive experience in building 5.56 from the ground up. Done some from 80% , cnc'd from raw billet. Double check your load data and make sure it's not from 5.56 NATO, 223 service or 223 match chambers.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    I also have an Axis 2 .223 HB and recently loaded some Sierra 69gr to 2.255". I found some cases very difficult to eject so I assume mine has the same throat issue. Interestingly some Nosler 60gr BT's loaded to the same length ejected fine. When I unchamber any un fired round regardless of OAL there is a light circle mark left around the base of the bullet about 1/8" above the case mouth. I assume this because it has a tight throat?

Both the Nosler 60 gr BT and Sierra 69gr Match kings shoot extremely well. The two best I have found so far.

Basic Member
    The Sierra recommended max load for Varget with the 69gr is 26.4gr. My test loads had 24.5 and 25 gr. Some cases from both test groups were very hard to eject.

Basic Member
    That really sounds like over pressured or chamber to tight. I would start with a 20 round box of .223 good brand new factory ammo.... make sure it's not NATO pressure and see if you have the same issues or different issues. By comparing results you can somewhat begin to narrow down problem. It could be that you may simply have to trim cases shorter, seat further from the lans and back down the charge.
    The Sierra recommended max load for Varget with the 69gr is 26.4gr. My test loads had 24.5 and 25 gr. Some cases from both test groups were very hard to eject.

Basic Member
    I have shot hundreds of factory and reloads without ever having a hard to eject issue.(I don't use 5.56).I assume it must be how the Sierra bullet fits the chamber. Maybe it's on the small side of the SAMMI spec? The next batch I will load at 2.250" see if it helps.

Basic Member
    Sounds like a plan:) my friends .223 wylde has issues unless cases are trimmed short enough to get cannalures lined with OAL at 2.225. Any longer than that he starts blowing primers, ejection failures..
    I have shot hundreds of factory and reloads without ever having a hard to eject issue.(I don't use 5.56).I assume it must be how the Sierra bullet fits the chamber. Maybe it's on the small side of the SAMMI spec? The next batch I will load at 2.250" see if it helps.