Thread: Comments on a New Patrol MSR

Comments on a New Patrol MSR

This is my first Savage firearm.
    I bought the Patrol from Grabagun.com for $610.00 delivered to local store who charged $35.00 to bring it in and do NICS check.
    I was interested in this particular rifle for four reasons.
    A mid-length gas system.
    The Wylde chamber.
    5R rifling.
    Melonite barrel treatment.

I understand that this is an entry level firearm but I would like to comment and compare it to other entry-level AR type rifles.
    I am not here to ding Savage.

From muzzle to buttstock:
    A2 flash hider.
    Proprietary front sight tower. Not pinned but attached with two set screws underneath. One screw is staked with a light punch mark, the second punch mark missed the second screw.
    Sight post is not marked as to which way to turn it when adjusting elevation.
    There is a hole underneath the sight base that looks like it might be for attaching a sling swivel but it's covered by the handguard.
    The handguard is a Blackhawk unit and has a heat shield. There is a blank hole on each side that can accept proprietary QD swivel socket hardware if you can find it.
    Handguards held on with standard delta ring
    Receiver has square forge code, weaver rail on top, a dust cover and a real forward assist.
    The rear sight is a plastic flip up unit similar in appearance to a Matech or Magpul BUIS.
    Basic charging handle.
    There is a nylon tipped set screw in the lower that contacts the bottom of the rear take down pin lug. The takes out any looseness between the upper and lower when closed.
    A nice touch at this price point
    Buttstock is a Blackhawk unit fitted to a mil-spec buffer tube,
    The buffer is unmarked. The Patrol buttstock does not have a recoil pad but the edges are sharp.
    There is a QD socket on the adjustment lever and an empty socket further back that looks like it would accept a QD socket if you can find one.
    As delivered there is no hardware for simply attaching a plain old web sling.
    Bolt Carrier Group:
    After 200 plus rounds the carrier cam pin slot developed a burr which caused excessive wear on the cam pin, wearing it through its finish and gouging the metal throwing up a large burr on the cam pin. I have seen this before and the cure is a replacement carrier.
    The bolt itself has a very rough finish. The tail of the bolt is rough. No big deal here except harder to clean off the carbon.
    However the wear band (the raised ring just to the rear of the extractor pin hole) is very rough and not smooth like other bolts I have seen.
    I have contacted Savage customer service about these and am waiting for a response.
    I found the trigger to be quite smooth. Some creep but not gritty. The hammer and trigger are silver colored not the usual dull black. That might account for the smoothness.
    Basic safety lever.
    The trigger guard is a plastic curved part. Nice touch.
    The hand grip is a Blackhawk Knoxx and is different from most. It is well equipped with raised surfaces all around for a non slip grip.
    I cleaned the rifle and generously lubed with LSA (O158) the lube ARs grew up on and what I use.
    I had a couple of hard live round extractions using the charging handle. This disappeared after a while.
    Other than that the rifle ran without issue.
    Ammo used was all factory FMJ from four manufacturers.
    Accuracy was not exceptional compared to other similar rifles.
    To sum up then:
    This is a nice starter rifle (assuming no bolt carrier issues) for the money.
    The basics are there. The furniture might be to everyone's liking but that is easily fixed.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    I have the same rifle. I get 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yds with factory Hornady 55 .223 55 gr V-max. I have tried several other cheap ammo and that averaged 4"-8" 3 shot groups at the same distance. I guess it depends on what you are using the gun for but for now, I am going to stick with the Hornady's. To each his own but the first thing I did was pull off that cheap rear sight. I also wish it came with a standard gas block without the integrated front sight. Others may love the fact that it comes ready to shoot so to each his own. The gun has done great for me. I have no complaints with function. I haven't had a chance to play with the adjustable gas block but that's another nice feature

Gas Block

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan gravitt View Post
    I have the same rifle. I get 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yds with factory Hornady 55 .223 55 gr V-max. I have tried several other cheap ammo and that averaged 4"-8" 3 shot groups at the same distance. I guess it depends on what you are using the gun for but for now, I am going to stick with the Hornady's. To each his own but the first thing I did was pull off that cheap rear sight. I also wish it came with a standard gas block without the integrated front sight. Others may love the fact that it comes ready to shoot so to each his own. The gun has done great for me. I have no complaints with function. I haven't had a chance to play with the adjustable gas block but that's another nice feature
    My Patrol rifle does not have an adjustable gas block.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    I stand corrected, I had not pulled off the front handguard. Mine doesn't have an adjustable gas block either. I thought I had read that somewhere but obviously I was wrong

Savage Patrol @ 1,000 Rounds

Just passed 1,000 rounds yesterday.
    Some comments on the rifle:

The bolt carrier (cam pin) issue mentioned in my earlier post was finally resolved by replacing the BCG with a new melonite coated one from Toolcraft.
    Savage CS was very helpful, though, sending me a brand new BCG to replace the original. Unfortunately, the new Savage BCG did the same thing to its cam pin so I replaced it keeping it for a spare.
    Since the OEM buttstock (no recoil pad) was painful to shoot wearing a light shirt, I had to buy the butt stock for the Recon MSR which comes with a recoil pad.
    Savage does not sell just the recoil pad for the buttstock used on the Patrol. I asked.
    The Recon buttstock comes with one QD socket. Like the Patrol, there is also a place at the rear to install a QD socket if you can find one.
    I put a Mepro RDS red dot sight on it.
    There have been zero issues with the rifle after the install of the Toolcraft BCG.
    My accuracy with the various brass factory ammo I use is comparable to other rifles in this price point. It does show a very clear preference for Norma Tac .223 ammo.
    The trigger has gotten quite crunchy which is disappointing considering it started out fairly smooth for an OEM trigger.
    I am still debating installing an ALG trigger at some point.
    I like that it is a mid-length rifle and the handguard, with the M-LOK slots is very versatile.
    Overall I am satisfied with the rifle.
    Thanks.

Basic Member
    If you want an exceptional trigger look at the LaRue MBT. He is running an amazing sale till xmas.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan gravitt View Post
    I stand corrected, I had not pulled off the front handguard. Mine doesn't have an adjustable gas block either. I thought I had read that somewhere but obviously I was wrong
    I think the Recon LRP has an adjustable gas block. Don't quote me on that.

Funny thing, on the basic Recon model the gas block and gas tube are proprietary. The roll pin for the gas tube is in the wrong place, although the hole on the barrel seems to be in the right place, so you could upgrade the savage part. You would need a new gas tube.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjive134 View Post
    I think the Recon LRP has an adjustable gas block. Don't quote me on that.

Funny thing, on the basic Recon model the gas block and gas tube are proprietary. The roll pin for the gas tube is in the wrong place, although the hole on the barrel seems to be in the right place, so you could upgrade the savage part. You would need a new gas tube.
    I think you are right.

Basic Member
    I was considering replacing the trigger but wanted to look into a little cheaper option. For $17 it dropped the pull weight from about 6 1/4 lbs to 4 1/2 pounds. I was thinking to replace the trigger later but I am really happy with the results so I think I will stick with this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JP-Enterpri...FXqH:rk:2:pf:0

Glad to see we aren't the only ones confused why the stock is missing the recoil pad. We noticed it when I bought the MSR-10 a few months later and sitting them side by side we noticed the missing recoil pad.

Blackhawk stated we had to buy a whole new stock. Savage hasn't responded at all. Why not simply offer the recoil pad as an add on piece for separate purchase? Is it really that difficult?

What did you end up doing about the recoil pad SpitNine?

EDIT: Blackhawk responded again .... I will post their response if the Blackhawk rep doens't join the discussion himself, as he might want to be the one to comment on his response .... you will want to take notice of the response Spitnine!
    Last edited by WestLoCo; 01-17-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added info

OK, I will watch for it.
    I caved and bought the "Recon" stock for my Patrol.
    Shooting during warm weather I just wear a T-shirt. The Patrol stock, with it's sharp edges, is uncomfortable.
    I tried to buy the Recon recoil pad from Savage but they don't sell it as an individual part.
    However, I do switch the stocks in the winter to compensate for the thickness of heavier clothes and the sharp edges don't matter.
    Thanks

Well the rep from Blackhawk didn't join the site, so I guess I'll share the news. Blackhawk says they're going to start selling just the recoil pad. Will take them a few weeks to get it up on their website.

So you could get a pad and sell the extra stock? Although your switch out system seems to work too.

I hope they include the two screws to attach the pad to the stock.
    I also hope they sell the QD socket parts as well.

Basic Member
    agree on the qd cups, thats just silly that yhey all arent included