Thread: accutriggeredge worn

Basic Member

accutriggeredge worn

i have a savage model 12 fv about 1 1/2yrs old, was out shooting yesterday and i notice after a few shots when i close the bolt the trigger would not reset it passed right by the trigger sear, after i got it home i took it apart and noticed the trigger sear point is slightly worn and the sear wont catch the trigger edge, even with the spring wound all the way down, i know if i send it back to savage they will want the whole gun, just wondered if anyone ever had this happen to them. i can sharpen the edge with a thin stone but not sure if case hardening compound with work here. or where can i possibly buy a replacement

chet

the sear is probably hardened all of the way through. I have honed many in a fixture to keep it square. If you have tightened the preload on the trigger return spring and the sear still wont hold, I would fear other issues like the trigger itself.

Basic Member
    HI Robinhood
    will set it up in a bridgeport for now, then make up a fixture,

thanks
    chet

Basic Member
    If it were me, that rifle would already be on its way to savage. I lack the confidence in my abilities to mess with a trigger. The gun may become dangerous. My $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    If it were me, that rifle would already be on its way to savage. I lack the confidence in my abilities to mess with a trigger. The gun may become dangerous. My $0.02
    The exact reason the Accutrigger has a safety blade. So under no circumstance will a jacked up trigger or trigger adjustment make the rifle dangerous. The Accutrigger does not do anything for accuracy that a standard trigger cant do. What it will do is stop the sear from allowing the firing pin to "drop"in an unsafe condition.

Basic Member
    it depends how you look at it, i do have 50yrs toolmaking, engineering and what ever else experience, it's no biggie for me. it works fine, was mainly concerned if the metal needed heat treating, but as robinhood mentioned hardness is still there.

chet

IIRC most trigger components are only surface hardened. Fred will probably be along shortly to correct me or verify it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    The accutriggers and the sears are hardened all the way through. I'd just touch it up with an India stone.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    One of the isues I was driving at was the sear should have stood up to 10,000 of thousands of rounds of wear. the fact it was worn after a few hundred or so rounds of wear says to me it is defective. Shouldn't savage make good insuch a case. if it is defective stoning it will not cure the problem but void any manufacturers responsibility.