Thread: Build a .224 Valkyrie

Basic Member

Build a .224 Valkyrie

Im a lefty and can pick up various left hand Savages in different calibers at reasonable prices.

Id like to build a .224 Valkyrie and want to know if I have to actually try to buy a .224 Valkyrie bolt/receiver or can I use a common caliber bolt/ receiver and maybe just change the bolt head.

I'll be using a Criterion barrel-I've built 5 rifles with their barrels and they all shoot better than.4 MOA.

Basic Member
    You might be better off building either a 22 Nosler, or building a 22-250 if you're looking to send the 22 caliber bullets faster than a 223. The 224 valkyrie will require a ppc bolt head. Whereas the 22 Nosler will use the 223 bolt head, and the 22-250 will use the 473 bolt head.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    You might be better off building either a 22 Nosler, or building a 22-250 if you're looking to send the 22 caliber bullets faster than a 223. The 224 valkyrie will require a ppc bolt head. Whereas the 22 Nosler will use the 223 bolt head, and the 22-250 will use the 473 bolt head.
    What he said...

The 224 Valkyrie in a bolt gun just doesn't make much sense. It's a purpose built cartridge for the AR15 platform to offer slightly more velocity and better long-range ballistics than the .223. If you're building/rebarreling anyway, there are several 22-caliber cartridges already on the market that offer far superior performance than the 224 Valkyrie that can be used in a bolt gun (22-250, 22-250 Ackley, 220 Swift, 22-243, 22 BR, 22 Nosler, etc) because a bolt gun isn't limited to a specific cartridge size/length restriction like the AR15 is.

If you want a 22-caliber bolt gun for shooting long-range, it's hard to beat a fast twist .22-250 Ackley Improved. A 1-8" twist is ideal for bullets up to 80-grains and will marginally stabilize some of the 90-grain bullets, but if you're primarily wanting to shoot the 90's I would recommend going with a 7" twist. Just remember that the faster the twist the faster pressure builds due to more resistance from the rifling which can/will affect how hot you can load them before you'll start seeing high pressure indicators.

I'm pushing 80gr Noslers @ 3,400fps in my 26" 22-250AI, and with a 200 yard zero my drop at 1,000 is just a hair over 23.5 MOA. This particular bullet goes sub-sonic just past 1100 yards whereas the 80gr Berger will stay super-sonic until just past 1,250 yards based on the data from my ballistic app. Honestly though, after 1,000 yards all of the high BC 22-caliber bullets really start dropping off fast so if you're looking to shoot beyond that I would steer you towards a 6, 6.5 or 7mm cartridge.

Mine shoots pretty good, even after 15 years and who knows how many rounds down the pipe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01833.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	4873
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks for all that info, it's much appreciated.

I currently shoot a 6.5 bolt, 6.5 AR10 and a .223 bolt in occasional PRS matches. One of the ranges we go to fairly regularly only goes out to 850 yards and my current .223 has a 1/9 twist barrel and won't shoot above 69 grainers with acceptable accuracy. It shoots around .820 at 300 so I don't want to change barrels yet!

Its best load with a Sierra 69 TMK will keep it supersonic to around 850ish. I was thinking about the Valkyrie because brass and decent BC bullets are readily available and being retired, not very expensive! It's also my understanding that with 90 grainers it would be good to at least 1100 yds.

Basic Member
    If you do build a Valkyrie, get a 1:6.5. Maybe even a 1:6. From what I have read, the 1:7 needs almost perfect conditions to launch the 90 grain bullets accurately out to 1000 yards, again, from what I have read. Also read some barrel makers will have the 1:6.5 or less out by end of year or sooner. I almost jumped on the hype of the Valkyrie but instead went with a Grendel for my latest build but in a AR15 setup. A 123 grain bullet out of a 12 inch barrel can keep the bullet supersonic out to 1000 yards. Folks with longer barrels are getting better results. But if I was in your shoes, I’d rebarrel your 223 to 1:8 at least.

Basic Member
    I like the case capacity of the valkyrie, and the price of ammo. But ill reload pretty much every shell, and starline is the only good brass for it. In the same velocity bracket is the 223ai, 22ppc,220 russain, 22grendel, at the high end is 22br. After all the reading I did, I decided the ppc/russian/grendel case would be the one to get. Then I bought a 7 twist 223match barrel, who needs all that speed and powder haha.

I joined a 224V bolt action reloading FB page, might give you some more insight on the project.

Basic Member
    Personally I'd build a 22BR in the bolt gun and shoot 80-90grs Pills.

Basic Member
    Add another vote to the camp that 224V only makes sense in an AR15. Or maybe a Howa mini-action that has the same OAL limits as an AR. If you can feed a longer cartridge, I'd pick something different.

As a left-eye shooter, I'd love to know where you can find LH Savages for reasonable prices though! I've had to buy all mine new, as the only used ones I've seen are long action magnums.

Valkyrie was developed for the AR for a reason. I know some people like to be different but I don't see the point in this one. Not much gain there. Same thing with the 300 blk in a bolt gun. It can be done,but why?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Valkyrie was developed for the AR for a reason. I know some people like to be different but I don't see the point in this one. Not much gain there. Same thing with the 300 blk in a bolt gun. It can be done,but why?
    300blk in a bolt gun. Super quiet night time critter getter. Shoot out the back door and no one knows for the better. It's light weight handy and easy to shoot out to 200yds with lower cost NV set up like the ATN scopes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    300blk in a bolt gun. Super quiet night time critter getter. Shoot out the back door and no one knows for the better. It's light weight handy and easy to shoot out to 200yds with lower cost NV set up like the ATN scopes.
    That scenario works, but only if one won't/can't handload. Handloading + 308 will do the same, be the same weight in a Savage action, but give far greater supersonic performance when desired.

Kinda curious if the OP decided to stick with 224V, or went with a different cartridge?

Here is a thought on .224 Valkrie. You can order a chambered Criterion barrel from Northland Shooter's Supply for $300. If you want to make a 22-250 that will shoot 90 grain pills you have to start with a 1/7 barrel blank for $300, Design and buy a special chamber reamer with enough freebore for 90 grain pills, about $175 shipped, the find a gunsmith to chamber the barrel blank (about $200). The first barrel will cost $675, and the replacements will be $500. And there will be long lead times for the barrel blank and the gunsmiths chambering. Calling Northland and having them ship you a chambered barrel is cheaper and has a much shorter lead time.

Now comes the bolt head. Can a Savage .224Valkrie bolt head be purchased or is that something special someone would have to machine up?

Basic Member
    Or, just order the 22-250 barrel with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist. None of the barrel makers seem to constrain you to the traditional twist rates for a cartridge. McGowen, Criterion, Shilen all let you pick your twist and chamber separately without any additional charges.

I get what you are saying about the chamber throat, but there are plenty of people already shooting 90gr bullets with 22-250 without any mention of throating, nor does the Accurate Shooter cartridge guide make any mention of throat work when talking about using 90gr loads for XTC competition.

Not trying to be contrary but a 224 Valkyrie makes no sense at all in an AR15 platform. Who wants to carry around a AR15 with a 24 inch barrel. I own both an AR15 Valkyrie and a bolt gon built on a Savage target action, which was a 308. The performance in the bolt gurn is amazing, shooting in the .3 MOA range at 300 yards. The AR Valkyrie on a good day will shoot a little over 1MOA at 250 yards. The bolt gun is built with a 28 inch PACNOR and Pacific tool bolt face. The action is also glass bedded. Whidden gun works in Nashville, Ga installed the barrel, bolt face, and bedded the action. They did an excellent job for a very good price. Not knocking the MSR 15, just wish I would have built the bolt gun to start with.

Basic Member
    Year old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    The .30 BLK makes a nice little weapon in a bolt. Similar oor better down-range ballistics than most factory .30-30 loads, very low recoil, very efficient in terms of powder consumption, awesome pest gun, great for kids, etc. Mine is an AR but I could dee getting a bolt for my grandkids to shoot. (I also have a .223 bolt that I love for some of the same reasons.)