I have recently been wanting to get into long range/distance shooting. Paper and metal targets only. I bought a new Savage 10Ba Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor. I chose to go with the Nikon Black FX1000 and Vortex PMR low (.87") rings.

To be honest, this is the first rifle I have ever owned. That being said, I don't know what I'm doing as far as mounting the scope. I've watched countless youtube videos and asked many questions. I don't want to take it to a gun smith or someone to do it for me. I want to learn how to do it properly. That way I can do it again if I ever need to.

I have mounted the scope and leveled it to the best of my abilities. I just don't feel very comfortable with my work. I still have questions.

1. I'm not sure on the placement of the rings on the picatinny rail. (How far forward and how far backward)
2. I'm not sure on how for forward to place the scope.

My problem is that I have an adjustable stock, and when I look into the scope from the second notch, I can see clearly through the scope without any black rings. But, when I try to adjust the parallax turret the rear scope ring is too close to adjust the turret. I'm getting to the point of being frustrated... Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

*I would add pictures, but I don't know how. Sorry.