Thread: Savage 12FV Replacement Stock

Savage 12FV Replacement Stock

So I am interested in replacing the stock on my Savage 12FV as it is very flimsy and the extra rubbery recoil pad is always getting caught on my shirt. I was debating adding a mag to replace the center feed 4rnd blind but can't see it being done for under $600. I have 20rnds through it so far and shot from 2" to 1.5" groups. I need to work on my groups but I feel the stock being a piece of crap doesn't help. I was looking at the pro varmint stock from boyds but all this free float and glass bedding is getting confusing options makes it confusing. Is glass bedding required and if I don't would my groups suffer even after practice? I'm just looking for a basic drop in option that won't feel so loose and hopefully improve accuracy without breaking the bank.

Basic Member
    I just got this one from Stocky's. I replaced the barrel on my 12FV so the varmint barrel that comes with the FV will also fit perfect. I had to do some dremel work around the trigger, (Jewell) but, I'm pretty sure a factory barreled action will fit perfectly. https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-...-magazine.html
    #10 G.I. Vietnam. You got anymore ammo?

Glass bedding isn't required on any of the Boyds stocks, but if you're after the ultimate accuracy glass bedding is always highly recommended no matter what stock it is.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

https://www.stockysstocks.com/bobby-...nd-models.html

This Bobby Hart LRT is drop in perfect, except for the triggerguard. My Bro put this one on his 12FV (22-250) and it turned it into a one hole shooter @ 100 yards.

The Pro Varmint from Boyd's needs to be pillar bedded at the least IMO... I have one on my 260 Rem. It's a good stock, just needs a little work, and you will have to open up the barrel channel for the 12FV barrel to fit.

The Bobby Hart is already profiled for the heavy varmint barrel.

Basic Member
    I wouldn't blame the stock for those groups. But if you want a stock, get one.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    https://www.stockysstocks.com/bobby-...nd-models.html

This Bobby Hart LRT is drop in perfect, except for the triggerguard. My Bro put this one on his 12FV (22-250) and it turned it into a one hole shooter @ 100 yards.

The Pro Varmint from Boyd's needs to be pillar bedded at the least IMO... I have one on my 260 Rem. It's a good stock, just needs a little work, and you will have to open up the barrel channel for the 12FV barrel to fit.

The Bobby Hart is already profiled for the heavy varmint barrel.
    Those seem like nice stocks, but I am not a fan of the colors as I was more interested in just a plain black stock with a little texture. Do you know anything about Bell and Carson? I was looking at this one which is for the varmint.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...2998-2999.html

Yeah, I know its not all the stock as I need to practice. Just it feels flimsy and the recoil pad is awful.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    I wouldn't blame the stock for those groups. But if you want a stock, get one.
    Exactly. If your not using the right bullet a stock wont fix it. Plus i am getting sub MOA with a load i worked up with the factory stock. I relieved the channel a smidge and torqued the stock down. Didnt even bed the recoil lug.

So far i my smallest group is .360" with this load and largest is . 720 with a 5.80" group as a follow up.

My worst groups were in 6 loads i worked up in my 12FV in .308 using IMR 4064, CCI LRP and LC 08 brass annealed with a Hornady match bthp was 1.15". 2 of the groups were that large. The rest were all sub MOA. Groups were as follows 1.15", 1.15", 9.2", 8.6", 7.8" and the load i chose was .360".

The two following proof loads were as mentioned before.

Now im no expert shooter but the gun is with the right load it makes me look like a shooter.

Simple bags front and rear and let the free recoil do what it did. Very little touching of the gun.

My advice is stock or no stock you need to work up an accurate load or buy premium match ammo if you want tight groups.

That and trigger time if you havent had enough. Once you have an accurate gun and shooter behind it the rest is in the load.

Basic Member
    My 22-250 12FV started off shooting about an inch and a half. By the time I had 60 rounds through it, I put 3 consecutive 1/3 MOA groups together. all stock. I do have a 6-24 FFp BSA Scope, and the magnification helps a lot.

Basic Member
    i
    Boyds stocks are solid wood/laminate. Having made them to fit savage actions for years, the fit is solid and good. Pillaring and bedding is good but not necessary in my opinion.

My stone-stock .22-250 FV with a 3.5# trigger pull shoots 53 V-Max/Benchmark handloads into cloverleafs, and factory ammo (Federal Premium 55 Nosler BTs) not much worse.
    I found a new take-off Accustock online, and the recoil lug to fit from Midway (still need bottom metal and mag), but the thing shoots so well like it is that I hate to mess with it.....

Basic Member
    I did this with my 12FV in .223:
    https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Detacha...n_p_15372.html

$400 gets you a full-length aluminum bedding block and a detachable mag.

Currently I am using Hornady 140gr ELD match. I could try and use a bag for more support near my shoulder. I load but not 6.5 yet.

So this has everything I would need if I am understanding correctly minus a mag? Also, since this is currently a center feed rifle, would I order the centerfeed short action? I could use magpul 308 pmags with this stock kit according to their description?

So you think the rifle just needs a break in period? I have the SWFA 12x42. This is my first precision rifle as I am more used to ARs and such.

All these Tupperware stocks must not be created equal. The factory plastic on mine isn’t half bad, granted its
    not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I can’t make it contact the barrel without an unhealthy amount of pressure.

Would be be interesting to run a controlled test on a batch of them and see what pans out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepLife View Post
    So this has everything I would need if I am understanding correctly minus a mag? Also, since this is currently a center feed rifle, would I order the centerfeed short action? I could use magpul 308 pmags with this stock kit according to their description?
    Everything you need except the mag. I went with MTD mag for my .223. You would order short action centerfeed. I'm extremely happy with my Choate Tactical with CDI bottom metal. That Choate stock is Rock solid.

You could also put an WTB ad out for an HS Precision

Great thanks for helpful info. Not sure if I could do $65 a mag cause I would was at least 3 but the magpul single stacks should do fine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepLife View Post
    Great thanks for helpful info. Not sure if I could do $65 a mag cause I would was at least 3 but the magpul single stacks should do fine.
    https://mdttac.com/products/mdt-poly...nt=42963894982

$39/mag? CDI does say one of the Magpul does work.

Oh I must have been looking at the solid metal mags which are 65.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-27-18.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	4892
    If I could have sprung another ~$250, I would probably have gone with a chasis from MDT. The Choate Tactical is a really stable platform, just heavy. Great for bench shooting or prone. It has a channel under the foregrip that allows you to adjust the bipod exactly where you want it. For $400 this is a solid option to upgrade the Tupperware and get into a detachable box mag.

This is at 100-yards with Hornady 73-grain ELD Match .223.
    Last edited by TXRoadlizard; 05-29-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added photo