Thread: swapping axis barrels???

Basic Member

swapping axis barrels???

im seeing post about guys swapping axis barrels. how is this possible? can I order a barrel from savage and just drop it in? current set up is a 223 axis with long action.

bchunter
    Same procedure as all savages. All axis have the same action length just different magazines. Please use the search function to find out more.

Basic Member
    The Axis uses the same thread size as other Savage small shank barrels. Aftermarket barrels are available from many sources and Savage used and new barrels are available in the dealer and member classifieds here. The swap takes a couple of tools, a barrel nut wrench and a barrel vise or action vie, and a go gage. If you stay with the same case family that is all you need. It is possible to change bolt heads and mags too. A mag change may require a new stock if you go from long action cartridges to short action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    The Axis uses the same thread size as other Savage small shank barrels. Aftermarket barrels are available from many sources and Savage used and new barrels are available in the dealer and member classifieds here. The swap takes a couple of tools, a barrel nut wrench and a barrel vise or action vie, and a go gage. If you stay with the same case family that is all you need. It is possible to change bolt heads and mags too. A mag change may require a new stock if you go from long action cartridges to short action.
    Id like to get a 22-250 barrel or 308. just curious how that worked.

thanks. I try the search function but sometimes it doesn't show anything. :)

Basic Member
    It would be easier and almost cheaper to buy another Axis...
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Just replaced an Axis barrel and it was quite simple. I already had the required barrel vice. Purchased an ER Shaw 243 Varmint kit for $180 that included the barrel, barrel nut wrench, headspace gauges, bore cleaner and oil.

After reading horror stories about the tiny metal balls from tumbling left under the nut causing removal problems, I was a bit concerned. However, the nut popped loose rather easily without a cheater bar or hammer. There were a lot of the metal balls under the nut which only allowed about half a turn before binding. Working the nut back and forth with the barrel pointed down permitted most of them to fall free. Frequent wiping of the threads also helped.

End result was no damage to barrel, nut or receiver threads. The new barrel installed easily and headspace was spot-on with the first attempt. Now. if I just would have ordered the Boyds Pro Varmint stock a month ago...

barrel swamp axis -with lock tight from factory the black goo!

I got a savage axis 6.5 creed-more i changed barrel to a savage model 111 light weight hunter 6.5 x 284 win barrel was used it shoots good now after this mess! i did a savage 110 7mm rem mag i had used setup for target long-range i got a savage kit in mag heavy barrel SS kit so i had tool and wooden blocks to remove action (I though)??? after 60 dollar+ 15 shipping barrel vice 2 go gage's at 115 dollars sent to me cases, dies and 6.5 bullets in 129 g and 120g 140 cost barrel was 135 + 15 shipping! in march 2018 i had all this money spent and had a receiver apart and threads were messed up no barrel screw in at all! ( i found a Gunsmith about 100 miles away he called from Wells custom Guns Dave well's said stop bring the receiver and barrels here I fix it with a lath for 20 dollars the lock tight the black goo or the scope holes lock tight screwed the end threads up) it to-gather it works but I had Mr wells install the model 111 barrel, I spent all this money I at least am going to see if I liked it!! oh by the way i had a ice storm a few days later no power & my main heater quit!! if your going to change a barrel do it in summer & got spare time and a bundle of money to spend! unless its the same cartage! the 7mm mag swamp was easier and less costly!!