Thread: CA ground squirrels

Basic Member

CA ground squirrels

Well after popping 5 or more with my 22LR from 10 to 40yds, I decided I wanted to pop some more at longer ranges. I am not the most consistent 22LR shooter beyond 40 so I got the WMR out today and sighted it in. According to my ballistics program (Point Blank) for a 70yd zero, it called for .07" low at 35yds. I can go back to about 50yds on my property to safely zero in my rifles, so I have to look for an intermediate zero. Kinda like they did in basic training with the M-16 at 15yds, for a 300yd zero.

Forgot to mention that is using CCI Green ammo. Ca requires it, but I could not care less since I am on either my property of a neighbors. Neither of us care. That said, it happens that CCI Green is one of the cartridges my rifle loves. So I use it. I have popped ground squirrels with this ammo out to 125yds, with devastating effect. Never gone after anything bigger though.

Anyway I am now ready for them. The little snots are ruining my riding mower with their huge dirt mounds when I mow my lower acres. Will post results when I get a few more. Buzzards need to eat too. They usually show up within 5 minutes after I go in the house.

Team Savage
    They started me using a Savage. Shot a bunch with my Ruger 10/22 then "just had to have something bigger" so I stepped up to my Savage 110 V in .223. Been down hill or up hill (depends on how you want to look at it) since then. One thing for sure, if you can hit those little critters, you're doing good. Anything any bigger is a piece of cake. 100 yard shots were fun. Step up to 200 yards and beyond and you're "REALLY" into it.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Let the addiction begin!! That's how I got started in long range shooting... I use a 22-250 and have since I started shooting the little buggers.. Hit one a 400+ yards which just made the addiction worse.... LOL!! I used to shoot a ranch down in Cedarville, CA... If you ever want some help cleaning them out, I'd be happy to help...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Let the addiction begin!! That's how I got started in long range shooting... I use a 22-250 and have since I started shooting the little buggers.. Hit one a 400+ yards which just made the addiction worse.... LOL!! I used to shoot a ranch down in Cedarville, CA... If you ever want some help cleaning them out, I'd be happy to help...
    Varmit hunters are really the ones who got the long range train rolling.
    Certainly in the modern method of dialing scopes for shots.
    The original 1000 yd benchrest club known as the Williamsport club, was actually started by 5 groundhog hunters as a way to settle arguments over guns.
    There wouldn't be much to argue over today, as the groundhog population in that region is but a small fraction of what it was 60 years ago.

Basic Member
    Well I do not claim to be a long range shooter, but I HAVE toyed with the thought. I have neither the time or funds to be serious, but it would be nice to get to where I could hit a 12" plate at 5-600 yds on a regular basis. This morning I tested my zero and it looks like the charts were very accurate. Longest shot was about 60yds and aim for the head and hit the head.

I missed 2 shots this morning, for some unknown reason. But I got 5 this morning and 2 this afternoon.

One thing is certain, with a headshot from the 22LR they would flop around and their tail went crazy. A hit from the WMR in the head and they just drop.

I have a few 223's and a 243 but I wouldn't use either on my property, not enough acres. In fact the 125yd shot was from my workshop to near the top of my neighbors hill.

My biggest issue is a solid rest. I have shot deer from a sitting position at 200yds but as Nor Cal Mike pointed out, these critters are NOT deer size. I used to be able to hold steadier on little critters, from all sorts of positions, but at 65 I tend to shake a bit more. A 1/4" wiggle at the buttstock moves that bullet a long way off downrange.

Basic Member
    The human wiggle, coupled with what nature throws into the mix can make those head shots or even any shot pretty tough.
    So cheat by what ever way you can. lol

Team Savage
    "So cheat by what ever way you can. lol" Words of Wisdom!!

Basic Member
    Lol I do trust me. Popped 2 more this morning resting the rifle on top of my AC unit. One on the ground and the other that ran back to the wood pile to chirp at me. His third chirp was his last. Neck shot.

I piled them together in the open and 20 min later the vultures were having brunch.

circle of life

Team Savage
    Recycled??

Basic Member
    Just assuming it was an outside compressor, and not a small window unit. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Recycled??
    Yup! The buzzards are showing up pretty regular for brunch.

Yobuck
    Yes it was the ground condensing unit. Top is just under 3ft high. I modified my technique and started using the large trash barrel. Don't have to bend over as much and get a good front and rear rest. It sits about 4 1/2ft high. The little bugars are getting shy now. Nothing came out yesterday at all and today I saw 3. Wounded one and killed the other. Missed the third . Such is life. So far I have fired 35 rounds and missed about 5-6 times.

Finally making some headway on these rats. They have about ruined my mower with the huge dirt mounds. I either have to use a shovel to fill em in or my tractor, depending on how big the mound is.

I just replaced all three spindles on my mower. I got fed up and decided to do something. I thought about buying a 17 (HMR or WSM) cal for the flatter trajectory, but the majority of my misses are 90 plus yds. I guess that is where the 17's would shine, so maybe a 17 is in the cards for later. The aggravating part is this stupid state now requires a background check (for $50) to BUY AMMO. No problem passing I just hate to give these commies the money.

Team Savage
    " The aggravating part is this stupid state now requires a background check (for $50) to BUY AMMO.???"

Just happened to stop by Wally World. Asked the man at the ammo counter "What's the deal with buying ammo"? He says, "No problem. Get what you want, show ID, give me the $$ and be on your way". They've got the law but no way to follow thru for the paper work so check ID and be on your way. Maybe I should buy some ammo and see how it's done?
    It'll have to be rimfire ammo cause I roll all my own.

"I just replaced all three spindles on my mower." Did the same thing last year. Replaced mine last year but the big branch laying in the tall grass did the number on mine. Broke that sucker right off at the ears. Couldn't figure out why the belt was squealing and the blades not turning till I pulled the mower deck and saw the brake. New blades, new spindles and new belt. (again) That should keep me going at least another year. Mine gets some pretty rough use so some damage is expected.

Basic Member
    Hang in there guys, things will no doubt improve when the Newsome and Nancy teams ride into town on that bullet train with ol Moonbeam at the wheel. lol

Basic Member
    Maybe we can buy Schumer a ticket too.