Thread: Savage 110 Tactical Scope Base Holes Question

Savage 110 Tactical Scope Base Holes Question

Hi all. The fact that Savage deviated from the 3 digits = long action and 2 digits = short action, among other issues, is really messing me up here.

So, i just bought a 110 Tactical in "Desert" trim. I go on amazon and buy a Warne steel rail for it because the rail it comes with is both aluminum, and 20moa canted (neither of which i need). Well, the screws that accompany the rail i purchased are too small to thread into the receiver holes, and the heard of the screws that came with the factory rail are too big to sit down into the recesses on the Warne rail. Does anyone know how to search for a steel rail for this rifle? anybody know of one that'll work? anybody know if i can just get a set of screws maybe? i intedn to use a 100yd zero on this rifle so i really don't have any reason to have a 20moa base.

here's the amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basic Member
    I have a few screws that would fit but they are long and need to be ground down.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I have a few screws that would fit but they are long and need to be ground down.
    Thank you. So I think I figured it out, which is that the new 110 tactical uses the same scope mounts as the BA/Stealth, which is the same as the round back short action, but with 8-40 screws. I cannot find a rail with these specs that doesn't have 20 moa built in. In order for me to use the warne rail I have, I'd need to drill out the holes a bit as the holes are too narrow for he 8-40 screws. I may honestly do this if I can find 8-40 screws with narrow heads. Let me look locally before I have you send them. Thank you!

Basic Member
    Contact EGW to see if they make a rail for your rifle. If they do, get the part number then search to see if amazon, midway, etc, sell it cheaper than EGW. This is how I purchased my rails for my savage 10T and 338FCP.
    http://www.egwguns.com/savage-rifle

Might be worth a call to Warne.

Right on. So I called egw and they confirmed that the action is the same as the BA/Stealth action, so it's the same spacing but with 8-40 screws. If I can get an 8-40 screw with a head thin enough to sit in the recess of the warne rail I'm good (I can just drill out the shaef holes to accommodate the larger screws. Either this or just return it and spend the cash on the Egw rail (basically egw offers a drilling service for a $10 charge thay makes their rail accommodate the larger screws.

Warne's customer service has been one of the best. Give that route a try first.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Warne's customer service has been one of the best. Give that route a try first.
    boy were you right. I called them and he brought up something i didn't think of, which was that modifying a rail to fit would cause an inconsistency in the shoulder dimensions and possibly an improper fit. Such good CS i ordered the Warne 20 moa rail that fits the rifle. I am sure i'll be fine at 100 yds with the 20 as the "temporary" scope on the rifle has 80 moa adjustment and the scope i'll eventually put on it will like;y have the same.

i wish i had further than a 200 yd range in south Florida or else i would just 200 yd zero it (which would be the perfect hunting zero for this rifle)

For what it's worth... I have a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP (which has 80 MOA of total travel). I'm zeroed @100 yards and I have a 20 MOA rail on mine too. Leaves me in the ballpark of 64 MOA of elevation. You'll be just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    For what it's worth... I have a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP (which has 80 MOA of total travel). I'm zeroed @100 yards and I have a 20 MOA rail on mine too. Leaves me in the ballpark of 64 MOA of elevation. You'll be just fine...
    thank you!