Thread: RUM value

Basic Member

RUM value

A neighbor lady is wanting to liquidate some guns. She asked about the value of a S/S - synthetic 110 in 300 RUM. It has had 12 rounds down it and comes with bases. Whats it worth?

I guess that would primarily depend on who wants it and what they want to do with it.
    The one advantage of the factory RUM chambered rifles is the longer action cutout and magazine that enables it to be used as a repeater with cartridges such as the .338 Edge instead of a single shot. The .300RUM is a beast that's too much for most anything smaller than a T rex unless it's downloaded or you find some factory "power level" ammo. It's also a powder hog making it pretty costly to shoot even if you handload.
    I'm guessing it's an older flatback as most of the ones chambered in 300 ultra were, so unless it's a lefty (rare as hens teeth) or you have a specific need for a cannon I'd guess what a 116 flatback would bring should be about right. Maybe the upper end if you have a buyer wanting an edge project with the longer mag. (400ish, more for a lefty). Unfortunately bases and accessories (except quality scopes) don't typically add any value to used rifles and would probably be best sold separately as they will fit a long action Savage. A private sale would probably be best as pawn shop or gun shop may offer around $200. I did see one on the big auction site that went for $650 with an aftermarket stock but most of the completed auctions closed with no bids so as with anything it depends on the buyer.
    I have a lefty 116 in the back of my safe that I picked up many years ago from a fella that said it was just too much gun. He was pretty much right and I'll never shoot another white tail with it. I haven't shot it for years but keep it around just in case of one of those pesky garden rhinoceros shows up or maybe I need to shoot something 4 counties away. Good in theory and versatile in theory with incredible ballistics numbers on paper but not real practical especially at full power Most of the fun stuff rarely is.
    Good Luck BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

RUM's are a tough sell. At least in MN. I've been trying to sell a Rem 700 300 RUM with ammo for a friend of mine for almost 6 months now with no luck.

I would guess 150-300, I might even be interested, where’s it located?

Basic Member
    She is in Montana

Montana is one of those places that a .300RUM may actually be practical. Much larger game than southern whitetails and often a lot of ground to cover.
    Good Luck, I hope she gets a premium for it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

If you decide to get it, make sure it's a Large Shank.
    It should be, but I know a fella with a 300 wsm factory Savage rifle made on a Small Shank and he experiences hard bolt lift (primary extraction).

Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    If you decide to get it, make sure it's a Large Shank.
    It should be, but I know a fella with a 300 wsm factory Savage rifle made on a Small Shank and he experiences hard bolt lift (primary extraction).

Just a heads up.
    That has nothing to do with small shank.

IMHO, it would be more valuable if it was a small shank. Many more prefits and take-offs available in small shank.

Basic Member
    Glad you said it and not me.
    Hard bolt lift sounds like the barrel is screwed in too far due to long headspace on the chamber.
    Put the barrel in a lathe and take off .003" - .006" from the breech.

Poor primary extraction comes from some issues with the bolt body, rear baffle, and bolt handle.

Primary extraction can be improved by placing a shim between the rear baffle and the rear bridge of the action. Aftermarket bolt handles are often a cause of poor primary extracton because of poorly machined ramps.

Basic Member
    Where in Montana? I would be interested in it if she is on the western side.

Basic Member
    She is about 400 miles from ya - 60 miles south of Billings. Don't know why it can't be shipped within the state.

Accutrigfer model or older model? round or flat receiver top? Side bolt release or bottom? I am interested and willing to travel from bozeman. I will be in billings later this week..Standard shank 7/8” barrel nut?

Basic Member
    Large shank long actions are pretty rare. I would be interested especially if it is a centerfeed.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Large shank long actions are pretty rare. I would be interested especially if it is a centerfeed.
    Savage is still making long action large shanks. Aside from the Laupa's, they are making the Brush Hunter and Bear Hunter in 375 Ruger. Both of the Hunters are Stainless long action large shank centerfeed actions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Savage is still making long action large shanks. Aside from the Laupa's, they are making the Brush Hunter and Bear Hunter in 375 Ruger. Both of the Hunters are Stainless long action large shank centerfeed actions.
    yep only two calibers. Not that common

True, but there isn't much true need for the large shank anyway except for running Lapua sized stuff. You're better off with a Lapua specific action anyway.

True, but there isn't much true need for the large shank anyway except for running Lapua sized stuff. You're better off with a Lapua specific action anyway.

Buds has the Brush Hunter in stock ready to go to your dealer for less than $600

19. 05-17-2018, 09:28 PM

Basic Member
    I finally got a chance to look at it and got the details:
    Model 116
    Non Accu-Trigger
    Flat back
    Twist on-off brake (guessing 26" barrel)

What's it worth??

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Check GunBroker's SOLD listings (Login > Advanced Search > Completed Items Tab) for Savage 116's that have recently sold and only look at those that received bids/sold. Somewhat rare chambering, but it's not something extremely popular or sought after so it's not worth anything more than a standard flat-back 116 in .30-06.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain