Thread: How often should you clean the bolt itself in the gun?

Basic Member

How often should you clean the bolt itself in the gun?

I searched around on the internet and couldn't really find a whole lot of information regarding how often you should disassemble the bolt and clean/check everything in a bolt action gun. I've got a model 12 FV in 223 and have had over 1600 rounds through it at least. Everything still functions fine and I know the bolt doesn't really get dirty that much but figured someone probably knows of a maintenance interval for it.

Basic Member
    Any time you experience a perforated primer you're pressurizing the bolt with expended propellant, and possible primer pieces. That's a good time to give it a good thorough cleaning at the very least. Nothing inside the bolt should be heavily laden with oil or grease, just lightly coated, IMOP. I recently wiped 3 of my bolts dry of excessive oil and lubed with powdered molybdenum disulfide with good results. If you're not familiar with the internals of your bolt, now's a good time to do so. I'd recommend at least an annual look-see and adjust for a frequently used firearm.

Good time to have a look at the trigger and sear, too. Gunk tends to build up there and can effect trigger action. YMMV.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

I agree with above. I will typically clean AFTER the fall hunting season, which is frequently wet hereabouts and always has cold to warm for condensation, and more often IF there is just cause.

Not much happens inside a bolt that frequent messing with couldn't make worse.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I agree with above. I will typically clean AFTER the fall hunting season, which is frequently wet hereabouts and always has cold to warm for condensation, and more often IF there is just cause.

Not much happens inside a bolt that frequent messing with couldn't make worse.
    That was kind of my thought process. I've messed with some guns in the past thinking I was doing good preventative maintenance only to find that some guns don't like lube in some places but must have it in others to function properly. I haven't even owned this gun a full year yet but I've put a fair number of rounds through it so wanted to double check.

I may mess with this thing sooner rather than later for some upgrades but nothing is leading me to believe it needs a service at the moment.

This is kind of a rib but good advice. Not everything you want or need to know is on the internet. Some of what is on the internet is misinformation. When in doubt clean your bolt and lube with a high quality gun oil. Do it after every couple of range trips. In short order you will know and understand why and when you need to clean it. you will also know more about your rifle. Experience is a beautiful thing.
    Tight groups my man.

Basic Member
    I have a Model 12 F/TR in .223.
    The target AccuTrigger was replaced by Savage after about 5000 rounds or so. It would lock up when the bolt was closed down.

Everything was A-OK until about three weeks ago. Bolt was not disassembled and cleaned until then. I was experiencing FTF, without the bolt even touching the primer. I took the bolt apart, and soaked all of the pieces in Slip 2000 carbon cleaner after using an all around cleaner. Dried the pieces and blew them out with an air compressor. I lightly sprayed all parts with Rem oil and a small dab of gun grease where things rub. No more FTF problems.

Basic Member
    After a day at the range I will spray and wipe down the outside of the bolt and clean boltface of any brass shavings and fouling and regrease the back of the lugs. Will also clean lug area in rifle and dry patch the chamber. Just to keep it all clean for reliability. I don't touch the bore.

After shooting in the rain or inclement weather or after about 3-6 months of matches I will do the above but also take the bolt apart and clean the inside well and then hit it with a dry lube so it doesn't attract any dirt or dust.