Thread: Bedding a savage?

Basic Member

Bedding a savage?

Hi guys.

Ive been reading a lot of stuff and recently ordered a Boyds classic and wondering if there is anything different to bedding a savage apposed to say a rem 700?

Basic Member
    Yes, float the tang. You could search this forum for more info, or someone may come along and offer more details

Basic Member
    +1, float the tang

Same principle. A little tougher to do, I think, cuz the rear action screw area to be bedded is very small on Savage.

+2. Float the tang. Make sure you have clearance under it. I think that is 1 of the accuracy advantages of the Savage over others that bed on both ends of the action. Makes the action a little stiffer since it doesn’t have the extra length for leverage. JMHO.

Basic Member
    when you guys say float the tang I have no idea what the tang is? I have an axis but didn't get much info in the axis forum. I also seen something called floating the barrel nut and have no idea what that means?

Team Savage
    Do some in depth searching on the forum. It is simple, but you need to understand the procedure.

Bill

The tang is the part of the action behind the bolt handte. It’s where the safety is located. Your front action screw is the one up near the bolt head and the rear action screw is just ahead of the trigger. Bed from where the sear contacts the action forward toward the front action screw. Floating the barrel nut refers to basically having clearance around it. If you don’t know what these parts or phrases are do you know what is involved in bedding an action in a stock? It’s not very difficult but if it’s not done right you could end up installing your action in that particular stock permanently. Watch some Utube videos of what’s done prepping the stock and the action prior to doing it. I’ve done several and still get butterflies in my stomach when doing it.

I have about a dozen, none of them are bedded and all perform with excellent accuracy. If it were mine I would definitely shoot and test it for accuracy before bothering with any modification. The Boyds laminate material is very hard and does not tend to warp or swell like regular wood. Here is a link to Randy Boyd's comments on bedding where he recommends it mainly only for heavy recoil rifles or if your action does not quite match the inletting.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/conte...-by-randy-boyd

Basic Member
    Here is a fairly good video for installing pillars in a Boyd stock for an Axis action.
    https://youtu.be/UK3g81i6-so

Still looking for a bedding tutorial as the Axis action is different from the 110 series.

Sagerat Shooter supplied the following link in an earlier thread, a thread that the OP started.
    https://youtu.be/d4PVPw_2VQE

So alcohol and raw meat is not the correct answer?