Thread: Building a Lady Hunter for the Wife.

Building a Lady Hunter for the Wife.

So I recently picked up a new take off barrel in 6.5 Creed off the classifieds here and decided that I would build a dedicated longer range hunting rifle for the wife that would be more comfortable to shoot from the prone position. I found a great deal on a lady hunter stock that looks like it would work perfectly for the terain and conditions we hunt so I am well on my way. I do however have a few questions about parts and compatibility for this build. What I am going to need for sure is the detachable box mag frame and bottom mag plate for a short action center feed stock. I am wanting the plastic versions as opposed to the metal ones to help keep weight down. I have part numbers for the long action ones but I would like part numbers for what I need before I call Savage or if anyone has some currently for sale I am in the market. The other questions that I have are that the action that I have is a Model 11 top bolt release center feed. The stock I have coming is for the bottom bolt release, can I inlet the stock to fit this setup or is it better to convert to the bottom bolt release? I really don't care for the bottom bolt release at all so if it's possible to keep the top bolt release thats the way I would like to go. I do have a bottom bolt release trigger guard already so that should be able to fit right in no problem. Any insight and suggestions are welcome thank you in advance.

I build one for my wife based on a 111 http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/au...0Hunter?sort=3
    bought a 270win, took barrel off, ordered a Krieger 5R 6.5 (this one is a 6.5x55SE), had it profiled to match contour. Put a
    Seekins Precision ATC on the 1/2x28, which I opened to 7.2mm (or .284" which, in my opinion, is ideal .020" over the bullet diameter opening) until ThunderBeast Ultra-9 will go on it. Bedded Action (Acraglass). Replaced bolt handle. Barrel is 20" to maintain balance and was cerakote (5R from Krieger only come in SS). Farrell 0MOA base. Burris XTR rings. Bushnell 6500 with DOA glass.
    Breaking in took a bit longer than I expected, about 70 rounds until she settled good. it throws 123gr + pills out at sub MOA. did NOT like 85gr bullet at all (surprising a bit, as I was able to get some accurate shooting at 100-200m with 85s in the past from different modern rifles) and I subsequently gave up trying to find a load for it and just moved on to a heavier bullet.
    Wife is hunting WhiteTail with this in WI with a 123gr SST handloads which she printed at about 1/2" on paper with ease. Got her a pair of 10rd magazines - little lip work, but now functions great. did not need to open up a bolt at all - takes any and all brass as is. Fits her PERFECT and aside from a trigger I am 150% happy with a finished product.
    For a short LOP - this is a great choice (LadyHunter).

Wow, that looks really good. Hope the wood on the one I ordered looks that good. My wife always complains when shooting prone that she has to lift her head slightly to get a good sight picture in the scope and I am hoping the lady hunter stock solves that issue with the raised cheeck piece.

Well, after asking my wife to borrow her rifle, she finally (after numerous "but of course you can") asked me why I just not get another one for myself. So, I did - got a great deal on a 30-06, put another Krieger on it - this time it is in 22" vs. 20". Otherwise identical set up as my wife's except got myself a slightly different bolt knob vs. hers.
    I know I will again ***** about plastic bottom on this, as i never figured out what exactly I needed for a metal bottom with same bolt release by the triggerguard....

All in all - a happy camper here.