Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying ammo loose or organized?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I install foam on the tops of all my ammo boxes to prevent them from bouncing around at all.
    =1!

Basic Member
    Shooters as a rule use up their ammo quickly.
    But hunters on the other hand dont, at least they usually don't, or don't always.
    So were all concerned here about how we transport our ammo so as not to alter or possibly damage it.
    How much concern is there for properly stored unused ammo, maybe unused for several or more years?
    Many of us have used old and even very old military ammo, but what about our own reloads?

What about shooters that hunt . . . or is it hunters that shoot?

I shoot all year to be ready for a month of hunting - which may involve one shot. Two if I have a doe tag and didn't get a bow opportunity.

But I'll go through a couple hundred rounds before then to be ready, and just to have fun practicing. Reloading is one of my favorite pass-times. But it is hunting practice. For every round at the bench I may shoot one or two under hunting conditions (offhand, leaning against a tree, cross sticks, mono-pod walking stick, sitting with elbows on knees, etc.). I don't carry a bench when hunting.

I carry ammo every day and cycle it with fresh in my concealed pistol and spare magazine. I go through 1,000 rounds annually +/- for that pistol but have yet to pull it in anything but practice.

As far as old reloads. I owned a Browning Hi-Power in 1977. This year (2018) I came across some reloads I had in 9mm (I don't currently reload for my EDC - too much brass chasing). I went 38 years without a 9mm so these were "oldies". I took them out and they shot fine. Nothing like coming across 250 rounds of centerfire you can just plink and play with.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    So you never have any loaded ammo that lays around for maybe a couple years?
    Well that's fine, I guess my question dosent include you, but only those who do.
    Be advised those who do, that bullets tend to weld themselves to the case when left sit for long periods.
    And that can cause issues, sometimes even serious issues, other than just accuracy issues.
    Certainly a more potentially serious matter than how we carry our ammo, and worthy of discussion in my opinion.
    And Stumpy, there is a difference between carrying around a bench (when) you hunt, and carrying one to (where) you hunt.
    Even in PA, ive not met any nimrod dumb enough to carry one the whole time their walking about.
    Same with those clumsy tree stands, id say very few guys would actually carry one around with them.
    But there are lots of guys probably everywhere, who have gotten really good at doing those one man deer drives. lol

I said I had some of my own reloaded ammo that "sat around" for 38 years. Still fired off fine. Have been blessed in the last few homes with dry and relatively climate-steady basements.

Squirreled away in my cabin I have a couple SPAM cans (440 rounds) of 7.62 x 54R that were Korean War era fodder (Czech) that I stockpiled from when Billy Clinton ran for office. ;-) Also some old Greek .303 British that is from around 1955 +/-. Turns out I had more to fear from our governor - the SAFE Act scared off most distributors from shipping to NY (even though it is not forbidden to most areas in the state). Glad I shopped ahead.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Im specifically referring to reloaded ammo, not old military ammo, or old factory ammo, but that's worth checking also.
    Trust me when I say that if and when you experience the potential problem, it will get your serious attention.
    Have you ever noticed how hard it is to pull the tips from old ammo someone might have given you or you bought for the brass?
    Well set your seating die about a turn or so deeper, and listen closely when you seat it deeper.
    Then try that with some of your own that's been sitting around for awhile.
    Sometimes it sounds like somebody snapped a stick, and if fired in your gun could lock up the action and ruin the case at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12